Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 01-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
couchy

Car: 94 Astina hard top
Turboing my BA hardtop?

I've been offered a GT25 turbo on an RB20 manifold off a standard skyline or silvia turbo? What is the best and cheapest way to add this to my car? I have the 1.8l twin cam. Is there a turbo manifold for this motor that i can get this fitted to? Can i add it and a front mount intercooler etc without engine work if I only run it at low boost? I'm only looking for a small power increase. What else do I need to do and is it all worth it????

All advice is welcome as I'm mechanically handicapped and my mates doing the work. He has a much better idea than me
Cheers Couchy
couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Low boost like 5psi would be fine. But a GT25 is capable of so much more. also a custom exhuast manifold would have to be made for around $600 to fit it.

Would be cheaper to fit VJ20 (GTX) exhaust manifold (up to $100 2nd hand) and a VJ20 (GTX) turbo (up to $200 2nd hand) than doing that. Total = $300 max...

You also need a new aftermarket ECU, dump pipe, bigger 2.5" exhaust, intercooler + piping, bigger injectors and banjo lines.

Ryan

Last edited by project.r.racing; 01-02-2007 at 06:47 AM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
where you live has a great impact on what you can do as well.
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
couchy

Can't an adaptor plate be made to match the GT25 to the GTX manifold? I'd like to use this turbo because I know the owner and know the turbos in good condition. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible and am only looking for a small gain at the moment. Will look at the GT25s potential later down the track when funds are available?? But I'll consider all suggestions.

Cheers Couchy
Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
'turbo conversion' and 'cheap' arent usually words used in the same sentince.
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
couchy

Is there a local ECU i can use? maybe the KF TX3 turbo laser one?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
An adaptor could be made but it usualy requires a steel plate to be welded to a cast iron manifold and then for the two to be ground to allow good gas flow.
Dissimilar metals shouldn't be welded.
The TX3 turbo ECU can be used along with the TX3 turbo wiring loom and lots of TX3 turbo sensors.
Check the website of your local roads authority to see if aftermarket ECUs are allowed in your location, if it's Vicroads though you're outa luck.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
mams

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to mams
hey
i did a very similar conversion. I tried without a new ecu and it couldnt do anything. So i got a microtec which is ok i guess. Originally i planned to spend abouit 4 k on the conversion and just a warning... it will prob cost at least half that again. You need to consider that u might/will need a new cluch, injectors, ecu, manifold, exhaust, intercooler, piping and many many $100 expenses. Also on going costs of more fuel and better oil/more frequent servicing really hurts the bank account after a while. Also getting an engineering certificate can be very very hard and expensive in our model car if you dont know the right people/good at photoshop etc. Overall i would say it has cost me prob about 6k but i have got some really good power from that, aboout 150 atw. In my opinion you, like me, are better off selling the BA and going out and getting a factory turbo such as 300zx or simmilar which are becomming really affordable, unless your after a unique look and sound. Basically you say you want a small cheap power increase?? well i turbo is not an option really. You could consider intake,exhaust upgrades and perhaps a new ecu but a turbo into your car will be expensive if you do it right (so your car doesnt die) and very very time consuming, even if you are a good welder!
mams
Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #9
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1mo View Post
'turbo conversion' and 'cheap' arent usually words used in the same sentince.
well sometimes they are ... but they're usually followed by a post a month later "HELP , I blew up my engine ... "
Old 07-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Either that or a 'Project For Sale' sign.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote