Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Australia Wide

Old 09-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #121
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
Sounds good to me bourbs.

Let's see how we can break this down. The period we are looking at is fri 6, sat 7, sun 8, mon 9 april!

On the Friday (being Good Friday) I'm thinking that people will be arriving at Dorrigo from all over Australia. Naturally if people want to arrive on Thursday, that is up to them.
So lets count on doing a BBQ catchup get together on the Friday night.
Then we have Saturday and Sunday (Easter Sunday so I'm assuming most everything in Australia is closed) to do karts, drags, whatever. These two days are open to ideas from everyone.
And Monday is a leisurely trip home after a farewell brunch/lunch.
Remembering that it is likely to be double demerits too, our road driving will have to be safe and within the speed limit (AGT supports safe driving practices).

So basically, this means we have 2 days to look, see, do and have fun.

I want to encourage everyone that is coming to the big meet at Dorrigo to develop ideas for things to do.

Bring it on people, and I will update the sticky once we have a clearer idea of what we want to do.

I am really looking forward to this!
Here's hoping it is an event to remember
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #122
newman
Banned

Car: KF Laser fwd BPT
skid pan ideas....
armidale is the only place, the next closest is probably sydney or brisbane (that has public access and is a dedicated pan). And as you mazda people should know, our gearboxs (entire driveline) are prone to breaking so as fun as it would be, **** trying to get home with a ****ed box etc.., i tried to organise a skidpan day before and they were pretty pompus about it all, only wanted to do it when they wanted too blah blah etc etc. and they were very heavily booked so yeah.
a google search found this link
http://www.sdt.com.au/ADVANCED.htm

go-karts!
http://www.raleighraceway.com.au/pages/gen_f.html
there is a track at Raleigh which is just past bellengin towards coffs harbour, but still 20kms south of coffs (probably 50kms from dorrigo). I have personally been karting on this track within the last 2 weeks! and as usual its bloody fun! but very expensive.

i think i paid $29 for 11 laps, which didn't take very long at all... plus the problem with this on the holiday weekend is it would already be pretty packed and if a group of 20 people turn up and all want to go at once it could almost take an entire day
also there is a pretty rough dirt road to get to it

Last edited by newman; 09-01-2007 at 06:16 PM.
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #123
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
[Jerry Seinfeld voice]Newman![/Jerry Seinfeld voice]

When you went karting there, did you go on the super duper long track, or the pissy little track?

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #124
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
i reckon if we can book it for like 20 people, and make a lil competition of it...skippy you reckon you can contact them to see what deals they can do, worst comes to worst we can car pool there :P ill take another 3 people in the back of my car...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #125
newman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
[Jerry Seinfeld voice]Newman![/Jerry Seinfeld voice]

When you went karting there, did you go on the super duper long track, or the pissy little track?

Gav.

yeah, when i was there i didn't even notice the little short cut there, i only noticed it once i looked at the photos... the track also has quite a change in terrain! every S corner is like a mini 'chase' like bathurst
Old 09-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #126
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Hey fella's,

I'm up for some fun and all that, but can we try to keep the expenses down?

We are pushing it for fuel and accommodation, then we gotta eat etc
Any way we can keep this cheap and cheerful?
It's about the people, but us as opposed to every other bugger off on Easter Holidays
I know that we did kinda ask for it by making it a big holiday weekend, but that was the only we can get people to travel any distance.

Has anyone investigated what there actually is in Dorrigo?
Is there some nice scenic lookout we can go to via a twisty mountain road?
*I'm innocent I tell ya*

What are the other options as well?
If people are happy to spend the $$ then they can head off to the karts while the rest of us go on a picnic or see something unique to the area - it's just an idea

Keep the enthusiasm up though, we have a great group of people coming and it's going to be a blast no matter what happens
Old 09-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #127
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

lets just buy lots of alchamahole and drink drink drink!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #128
newman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatSmack
Hey fella's,

I'm up for some fun and all that, but can we try to keep the expenses down?

We are pushing it for fuel and accommodation, then we gotta eat etc
Any way we can keep this cheap and cheerful?
It's about the people, but us as opposed to every other bugger off on Easter Holidays
I know that we did kinda ask for it by making it a big holiday weekend, but that was the only we can get people to travel any distance.

Has anyone investigated what there actually is in Dorrigo?
Is there some nice scenic lookout we can go to via a twisty mountain road?
*I'm innocent I tell ya*

What are the other options as well?
If people are happy to spend the $$ then they can head off to the karts while the rest of us go on a picnic or see something unique to the area - it's just an idea

Keep the enthusiasm up though, we have a great group of people coming and it's going to be a blast no matter what happens
for nature related things, check out my post on page 5 i also said in a post earlier that there really is hardly anything to do at dorrigo itself

i'm also sorry to tell people, there is no pulp available in dorrigo
Old 09-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #129
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman
no need to worry bout that, why else do you think they call me bourbon hahahaha!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #130
newman
Banned

honestly, i don't even know of a bottle shop in dorrigo, only take away from the pub ....
Old 10-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #131
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by newman
Thanks for the notice on that my new engine wont ever be running on anything less than 100 octane
Bugger now I will have to organise some fuel to take with me
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 AM   #132
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
Batman, you shoudl be able to fuel on the highway around the Urunga area or failing that Coffs. If you can haul 300km from a tank of juice you'll not really have to worry about fueling in Dorrigo or the hinterland. That said if you _must_ have high octane drop a bottle of booster in the boot just in case.

I know when we arrive we'll be fueling the car _before_ climbing the hill - mainly so we can conveniently drive anywhere without needing to fuel first.

As for things to do - There's some great cruise runs about the place, some great scenery and so on. Ideas include:

* Dorrigo National Park Visitor centre - (at the top of the hill, nice view, bit of info etc)
* Steam Railway (either from the Dorrigo end or the Glenreagh end)
* Urunga - there's a massive long boardwalk from the land out to the beach through tidal flats etc.
* Bruxner Park lookout in Coffs - plus forest twisties around that area
* Coffs Jetty beach area/Muttonbird Island walk

Touristy places:
* Big Banana - free at the bottom, pay for the tour thing (has ice skating and skiiing available too)
* Pet Porpoise Pool
* Assorted watersports

We really have got only two full days and two partial days as people will be coming and going on them. So while I'm all for keepign the group together I think it's also a good idea to be flexible and let people sub-group around.

The Coffs Coast tourism marketing people will be very helpful in providing a lot more info Probably www.coffscoast.com.au for more info.

A.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #133
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Now that's what I'm talking about!!
Fanks Mister Kitty

newman: we will all be sure to get our supplies before heading into Dorrigo proper, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #134
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
PULP is the 95 stuff isn't it, dam.

Yeah I will have a look and see what I can see around dorrigo,

Re the skidpan or karts, either or not really a biggy to me, I just want to do something, if I am there two days I expect one with driving and maybe an activity and the other will be hungover near a pool or body of water and maybe working up to a late arvo BBQ or cruise

One thing I will say is I personally don't care if activites are a little way away as they are nice scenic roads and driving is fun anyway.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #135
newman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
* Urunga - there's a massive long boardwalk from the land out to the beach through tidal flats etc.
here is a photo i took on new years day 2007 from the urunga boardwalk, its really quite nice!

there may be 95 ron in dorrigo, but there is definatly no 98ron, closest 98 ron is a BP just on the north side of urunga

Last edited by newman; 10-01-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #136
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
Thanks Newman - I thought that'd be the case with the fuel, it's not a long trip up the hill from there so I'm sure the Batmobile will do fine topping off in the Coffs/Urunga area and then running up.

On a related note - would anyone be interested in doing a "Head 'n' Hump" Run which would start on the coast and basically take in most of the vehcile accessible Headlands, drive the roads along the beaches (all sealed) cut up to a few look outs on the coastal ranges and then do a loop through the hilly country passing before a highway jaunt back down south?

Also who's interested in taking in some of the "out of car" walking exercises like Muttonbird Island & Marina, the Boardwalk in Urunga, The Dorrigo National Park Visitor Center, The Big Banana (not much walking) I would be interested in seeing if we could visit the Temple in Woolgoolga as this is a great landmark most keep driving past and anchors the centre of Australias largest Indian community.

There's so many beaches and coastal rivers to see that we really won't have problems finding stuff to do. I also belive that if we consider mornings to be "free" so that people can rise when they feel like it and plan most events from say 11am. I for one think that doing an evening beach walk/visit would be cool also...

Another consideration is that this will be Easter, and while in Coffs Harbour things will be mostly open there's still not as much trading over the Good Friday and Easter Sunday/Monday. So a day for all the eventing would be Saturday, with resting on Sunday and maybe a couple of light bits of cruising. Friday and Monday would be more about getting to Dorrigo, securing Food! and packing/leaving.

I have set up Thurday > Wednesday to not be at work, so hopefully we'll be there early Friday and leave on Tuesday.

For those outside of a nice driving radius Qantas and Virgin both fly into COffs Harbour and I'm sure you could rent a car for cheap, or be picked up by other participants. Don't consider a Taxi from Coffs to Dorrigo. I do know that the flights could end up being cheaper than fuel from say Melb or Canberra for a single body if booked well in advance...

As for costs to get there.

I generally factor on doing 1000km from Canberra to Coffs Harbour, ie two tanks. It's really only about 810km. From Sydney you'd probably be able to run up the highway to Urunga and fuel there, then jump up the hill to Dorrigo. From Brissy you'd want to fuel around Bonville/Boambee (just south of Coffs) and then continue south and up the hill. There are good large servos on the highway just south of the turnoff to Bellingen/Dorrigo.

As we get closer to the date we'll check will all the local supermarket type places and find out their trading hours over the break so we all can be prepared to self cater at night and morning and have food without dirivng 100km to pick up Maccas for everyone

I'm hoping the Butcher in Dorrigo is still going, that is some of the best meat you'll get

A.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #137
skitz
I'm not as dumb as my posts would indicate

Car: astina ba 97
Send a message via MSN to skitz
Sounds great man. I cant wait!

As for the "out of car" things why not. As it's double demerits, so if we arnt in our cars it kinda lowers the chance of any issues. I am not saying that the driving wont be fun too but i am up for both. Or what ever is planned out

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Wakefield Park: 1:14.8100

skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #138
KittyKatSmack
Banned

I am so excited about Dorrigo, it's going to be awesome!

I really want to see some of the sights the area has to offer.
That boardwalk shot of newman's looks great.

Aaron's idea of the lookout points means we can take some nice photo's of the cars with scenic backdrops.

In keeping with an economic event, we could all pack a picnic and that way we can have lunch wherever we choose, somewhere that is not full of holiday'ing folks and their eating, screaming, poo'ing machines.

Speaking of uglee babies, is there anyone actually planning on bringing any rugrats?
Personally, I do not want any spawn staying with us or near us.
It's not like any of us can relax with those things around and I don't want anything to ruin this event for all of us.
I would like to make it a child free zone, less sprogs, more drinkies - We tried a few cocktails at our Xmas Eve party and it was awesome. My new favourite is the "Cuban Missile Crisis". Shall we make one of the nights a cocktail night? Where everyone can relax, have a few laughs, and catchup with each other.
I know I would like to spend some time drooling over the Batmobile

Don't worry skitz, there will be plenty of variety and opportunity to enjoy the weekend. I'm all for adding the 'out of car' experiences, and balance it with some of the twisties and nice roads of the area. Hopefully a bit of choice for everyone although I don't want to split the group up if we can help it. For the karts, we might give a bit of choice on that one as I am pretty sure Aaron and I won't have the $$ for it.
Either way, I think we should start plugging in the events we want to do and see where that leaves us.

I'd be recommending that we book accommodation ASAP because I certainly do not want to get there and find we can't all fit, and it would be good to be able to park the cars together etc. I want to stay in a cabin with running water and a bathroom.
If there is a kitchen with a fridge, maybe we can all pitch in for cereal, milk, eggs, baked beans, bread and butter etc so we have enough staples for everyone. Maybe on the Saturday we can have a nice lunch somewhere, but I don't want to rely on takeaway for everything. Too exxy!!
We'll all make a list of what we like and we can all stop at a supermarket/shop on the way to Dorrigo so we at least have enough food to see us through the long weekend for breakfasts and bbq goodness.

I've been updating the first page of the sticky thread, please check to see if your name is on the list, and if it isn't - let me know so I can add you.

It would be nice to spend some time on a nice beach somewhere - we don't get much of a chance to do that here in Canberra

Where is Leigh? Froggy? Where are you O'Frogness?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #139
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

hahahah i think me kazz nate coley and froggy would end up drinkin no matter what...but were totally innocent like we were at your wedding mrs kitty
Old 12-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #140
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
Important to note,

Bottle shops are shut on good friday,

I have been burned before.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote