Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 25-12-2002, 01:03 AM   #21
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
[color=#000000ost_uid0]i'm guessing you haven't seen Dogo's shelf then!

Daves' new parcel shelf

a set of Total Recoil kevlar 8" subs and 6" splits.[/colorost_uid0]

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2002, 11:48 AM   #22
IceWish

Send a message via MSN to IceWish
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hey Mike/Mathew.....Its realy nice to have found this place.You wouldnt beleive how difficult it is to find anything to do with a 323 hatchback here...(in Trinidad)There are alota sedans....and they soup them up pretty good ...but hardly any astina...which is why its a perfect car for me...from the first moment i saw it....its such a kool car....diffrent from everyone elses and so rare here.I never thought it was even possable to get a body kit for my astina ...untill now.Im uploading the pics of my car this evening ....my car kinda looks like yours Mat..same color.I cant wait to get em some new threads..........[/colorost_uid0]
Wash Your Feet..

And Say..............
Zoom--Zoom
IceWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2002, 07:59 PM   #23
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
[color=#000000ost_uid0]hi shelf !!!

i havnt seen those pics for a while ::

My first shelf was a modified astina shelf. *i had a pair of 6.5" coax speakers in there. *To make it a bit stronger, I added a sheet of 6mm mdf wood to the underside of the shelf, cut to match the lower section, before the shelf goes up to make the ridge. *That then had black speaker box carpet over it so it didnt look silly when u opened the boot

The wires for the speakers were tidied away in a black tube along the back-seat end of the shelf, and i had plugs just next to the hinges. *The wires then went down the back of the side cushions of the back seat to connect to the rest of the stereo.

The shelf in those pics is my current shelf. I custom made it from scratch. *Its covered in smooth black, so its not as ugly as it appears there. *It is a concept shelf, made to see if a) i like the look, and b) to see if i like that much sound coming from the rear. *The verdict ? Yes to both !!! *sounds awesome, and there will be tweets in the pillars of the little rear windows.

The main problem has been the weight of the speakers. *the size of the magnet ( as shown in the pics ) makes them reeeal heavy and the sides of the shelf just arn't proving strong enough.

Dave[/colorost_uid0]
Old 25-12-2002, 08:05 PM   #24
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
[color=#000000ost_uid0]oh, and as for adding a full-size sub to the back shelf, i wouldnt reccomend it. Simply too much vibrations, and it wouldnt come through problerly from such a flimsy surface.

Plus being a hatch, an open-air sub just wouldnt work as good as a boxed sub. The 8" speakers on my current shelf are midbass drivers, not subs. There's a boxed sub in my boot which sits just under the shelf.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 30-12-2002, 08:42 AM   #25
Sandyman

Send a message via MSN to Sandyman
[color=#FF0000ost_uid0]hey Rennie,
u think u could upload some pics of the fixed up hardtops from trinidad and put the link in here somewhere?[/colorost_uid0]