Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 09-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
aaron_323_hawes

Send a message via MSN to aaron_323_hawes
resonance?

ive just recived my air filter for my 323, and want to remove the resonance chamber thats before the air flow meter. there is a pipe that attaches to the bottom that goes to the intake manifold somewhere, when i take this pipe off the engine runs real lumpy then cuts out....

can i just make a hole for this tube in the intake pipe? or does it HAVE to be used with the resonance chamber?

can anyone help??

aaron
aaron_323_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
all air that enter the engine needs to come thru the afm first. u cant have any openings after that as the engine wont know how much air to expect ( as it wont be measured by the afm ).

if u want to take that thing off ( i presume u mean the extention that sits between the afm and the throttle body ) then u will need to plug the hole with something.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
If it's like the BA that pipe goes down to the throttle bypass valve, you need it. A picture would help isolate it.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
ah yeh i missed that it goes to the intake manifold. Cosmo is probably right then. it'll be the tbv hose. i was thinking of my old v6 that had a chamber that came off the pipe from afm to throttle. that chamber went nowhere.

pics would help
Old 09-03-2004, 11:06 PM   #5
aaron_323_hawes

im affraid i cant get any pics, its a fairly fat bit op pipe, about an inch i.d.

its the naff bit of plastic that sits after the pipework that comes from the throttle bodie, but before the AFM.

will try unplugging it and blocking it, but i think it needs clean cold air!!

thanks for the help guys...
Old 09-03-2004, 11:50 PM   #6
adamack

This may not be related but does anyone know what that plastic thing does in front (top) of the engine parallel to the radiator does? It has a rubber hose going from it to the airbox.

I would really like to know what its for, I am pretty sure it does nothing (the hose leads into it then has nowhere to go). I took the hose off and turned it upside down to act as a CAI, its a bit short but.

Can someone please enlighten me!?
Old 10-03-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
aaron_323_hawes

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamack
This may not be related but does anyone know what that plastic thing does in front (top) of the engine parallel to the radiator does? It has a rubber hose going from it to the airbox.

I would really like to know what its for, I am pretty sure it does nothing (the hose leads into it then has nowhere to go). I took the hose off and turned it upside down to act as a CAI, its a bit short but.

Can someone please enlighten me!?
yes sir, this pipe, sealed is a resonance pipe, take that rubber pipe off and the plastic above ur rad... all it does is cut down on noise, but its a nice noise that they have shut away :x

if you want to get cold air to your existing airbox i recomend you do this... take the top off the sir box like you would to change the filter, now unbolt the bottom half of the airbox from the body, there is another pipe (or there was on my pop up head lights version) that goes into the wing, and this is where it draws all its air from... :? not good!

take this tube off the bottom of the air box and get some metal or plastic flexi tubing, and feed it either to in the wheel arch (not good as water could be sucked thro this pipe) or to the front bumper, this is a right pain but to do, but its worth it!

my old and tired 1.6 with 147k felt a little more responcive than before and sounded kinda cool too, did this to mine for about £7, so its well cheap too!
Old 10-03-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
MarkyMark

Hey, thanks dude, I was going to ask that same question myself adamack, I had looked and looked at that black plastic thing and could not figure out what it was supposed to do. So Aaron, you had success with piping the CAI to the front bumper with your pop-up headlight model? Did you face the opening directly out to atmospere or cover it with a mesh or something? I'm a bit paraniod about bugs and crap getting in there cause I do lots of country driving. Where exactly on the bumper did it come out? Did you replace the filter too?

Cheers
Old 10-03-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
aaron_323_hawes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
Hey, thanks dude, I was going to ask that same question myself adamack, I had looked and looked at that black plastic thing and could not figure out what it was supposed to do. So Aaron, you had success with piping the CAI to the front bumper with your pop-up headlight model? Did you face the opening directly out to atmospere or cover it with a mesh or something? I'm a bit paraniod about bugs and crap getting in there cause I do lots of country driving. Where exactly on the bumper did it come out? Did you replace the filter too?

Cheers
ahh glad ive helped out!

yer i did have success with the whole fresh cold air routing, it is a rite pain getting anything past the rad, i found taking the right hand top mount on the rad so u can push it towards the engine a bit, gives you a few more inches to play with!

i changed my filter for one i bought at halfords, nothig fancy, also changed plugs, leads and put some sexy synthetic oil (yes sexy oil!!!)

dont be worried about bugs getting in coz nothins gunna get thro the hard as nails paper panel filter, i use loads of back roads too, ull be suprised how little debris gets picked up, you can tell by how much crap you find in the airbox!

i poked my bit of pipe out of the bottom right hand side of the bumper, to the left of where you can fit fog lights, i had mine sticking out about an inch n a half to really pierce the air.

any other questions im happy to answer, also i have a workshop manual if your havin troubles with anything!

peace all
Old 11-03-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
lamby1986
AstinaGT Regular

Car: wrx
That sounds like a lot of work! i got a similar effect by just cutting a nice sized hole into the "resonance pipe" as you call it, and bent it up on its brackets some to get some air over the radiator. i figure, if i've got two air inlets (the original and the resonator one) it should breathe a bit better. If it actually does is another question, and i have no idea if a dyno would prove me right, but it feels more responsive.

It may not have the same effect, but u'd never no its there unless u knew, and you can hear the difference when you wind it up. The mod cost a whole nothing so i say its an improvement
#25 most posts! Mod list: painted black calipers, 14' alloys, dash mat!
lamby1986 is offline   Reply With Quote