Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 31-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
ss hatchback

Car: 96 Astina , Torana, Calais
BA rear door speakers

Does anyone know if the rear door speakers of a BA astina have some sort of cross over built in to the wiring somewhere? Seem like the rears are only letting out bass and no high freq. Its a standard setup except for a different HU and i have replaced the rear speakers in the doors and still the same sort of low freq sound coming out .
ss hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
no they don't have.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
ss hatchback

ok thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
If the new speakers are coaxials ( the little tweeter sits over the larger driver ) then there is often a crossover on the back of the speaker itself. Check that this is ok and the wires are still there. Also check that it hasn't gotten wet - which can happen when the window gets opened while wet.

If that looks ok, hook up a spare speaker that you know works. If that also only plays bass then the problem is at your head unit - and its probably just an EQ or built in crossover setting.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
ss hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogo View Post
If the new speakers are coaxials ( the little tweeter sits over the larger driver ) then there is often a crossover on the back of the speaker itself. Check that this is ok and the wires are still there. Also check that it hasn't gotten wet - which can happen when the window gets opened while wet.

If that looks ok, hook up a spare speaker that you know works. If that also only plays bass then the problem is at your head unit - and its probably just an EQ or built in crossover setting.
I will look through the settings again but i made sure the rears on the deck were set to rear and not sub , the speakers were new and both sides are doing it so more than likely something on the deck or settings, ill get to the bottom of it eventually .
Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
what you mean to rear not sub? are you running your rear speakers of a amp or th head deck? cus what you are refering to i think is the RCA outputs that can have front/rear/sub and are plugs. speakers have to be wired in to the actual wires from the harness. im confused
Tony
Old 03-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
lewp91

Car: Mazda 323f BG 1.6i glxi
becarefull you havent got a bass setting on ur headunit on too
if i have bbe on my kenwood everything mucks up :P
lewp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
what you mean to rear not sub? are you running your rear speakers of a amp or th head deck? cus what you are refering to i think is the RCA outputs that can have front/rear/sub and are plugs. speakers have to be wired in to the actual wires from the harness. im confused
Tony
Maybe the HU allows you to bridge the rear speaker wires as a sub , for a front+sub setup ?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
perhaps.. but wouldnt that require a different amp, one that doesnt have rca plugs but terminals, cus i cant see how you can run a sub of a HU, well effectively anyway
Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
ss hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
Tony
The HU came out of my old commodore and was working fine before so i dont think there is much wrong with it .
I know exactly what your talking about but i have installed many stereos and i know about rca's and amps etc so the wiring is ok , the part i was talking about is on the Sony HU i have usually when its running if you press the dial it goes into the bass , treble etc settings but when the unit is on standby and you press the dial it only has 2 things , rear and sub and i think its for when your running rears and no sub it should be set at rear, when running a sub if you set it to sub then it must activate the rca's or maybe set a high pass for the rears?? Anyway i have tried both settings and the rear door speakers still sound like i have a low pass filter . I just thought it may have been a factory fitted item somewhere in the car .

I havent had a chance to do any more to it but ill get to the bottom of it eventually.
Thanks for the replies anyway