Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Installed LED tail/stop lights, now dash warning lights up

I've just done a full LED replacement inside and out on my BG Astina and part of that was a set of JayCar LED tail/stop light replacements. Now when I put my foot on the brake, the warning for the tail lights comes up on the cluster. I'm sure it's some kind of resistance or current thing, because my LED indicators are flashing fast too, but I know where to get a flasher can to slow them down.

This is the jaycar part:-
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...d&form=KEYWORD

Has anyone else done this mod and fixed the warning light coming on? Last resort, I take out the cluster and remove the light for that warning lamp.

Last edited by derb; 02-07-2011 at 12:57 PM.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
Yes I have changed the lamps to led in my astina and it never spat a dummy so I dunno
For the flashers, be warned that our relay (at least on the ba) isn't a standard relay with a 2/3/4 pin out that can be replaced with a electronic module, but a standalone module. Only fix is to get load resistors AFAIK
Old 02-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
derb

Hrmmm, sounds like i've gotten myself into some **** here. Brake light thing I can deal with really, but the indicators are going to get annoying real fast.

Good thing I kept every single bulb that was replaced, I can at least test resistance or whatever of the old bulbs or put them back in if it's too hard.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

you just get one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-LED-Sig...item5ae102da78
now these are not ideal, you need one per bulb. ideally with resistors, you will get 7.5ohm 25watt, or 15ohm 50watt (for the astina)
the 7.5ohm 25watt (VERY hard to find, closest thing is a 10ohm and most of these are a industrial application and are very expensive)
a 25watt will not get as hot as a 50watt tho.
regardless if you get the 15ohm 50watt (also hard to find) you would only need 2 (one per pair, tapped across the flasher relay per side is the easiest location) and the flashing rate will be the same as stock.
but if you get the 6ohm 50watt, you will need 4, your flashing rate will be slightly faster than stock, but make sure you mount them away from carpet/plastic as they get hot (mine are ziptied and hanging in mid air away from everything, they cant physically touch anything as the cable was cut like that )
the problem with the astina ones (afaik) is that its a 5 pin (or 6 pin i cant remember) setup, it gets a single live wire, and it sends to left, right or both depending on what is selected WHILE timing it, rather than receiving a timed signal and sending it where needed.
i mean i could be wrong, but i couldnt find a proper flasher relay in the system, only this whole module (under the dash)
if someone can correct me and show where the flasher relay is (ie not part of the module), then that would make this a whole lot easier

another thing you can do is go get a few BA15S sockets with tails (not BAY15. y are the staggered pin output, with s being single contact and d being dual), and tap them in under your front bumper where your indicators are (get 4, 2 per side)
then take your standard bulbs and spray them black (non seethrough) with heat proof paint.
once you tap the connectors in parallel to the LED bulbs, the incadesent bulbs will be your VERY cheap and easy load resistors

Last edited by 70NYD; 02-07-2011 at 02:06 PM.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
I'd just measure the resistance across the bulbs, get the difference and wander down to jaycar and pickup some resistors to make it up (or close to). You many need 2 sets. Depends on how handy you are with electronics. I'd say a set inlined from the flasher unit would do the trick

Hmm. pretty sure there is one somewhere tony. I know the BG's do have one - BG Inidicators etc wiring diagram. search 323f wiring diagrams for the rest.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

hmm well 29 looks like a 3 pin relay to me
but the ba didnt have that (give me a min il find the images)

HA
BA IS a 3 pin as well (found the wiring diagram and my worklog images)
i must have been looking at another part of the circuit HAHA
oh well
when you find where the 3pin relay actually is let me know please

Last edited by 70NYD; 02-07-2011 at 02:48 PM.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
derb

The Haynes manual says it's near the main interior fuse box next to the driver's right knee. I'll try and remember to take a pic for anyone doing this in the future. Looks like the 3 pin relay type flasher can replacement will work!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Well there you go
The thing I was referring to was directly under the dash cluster (yellow thing) and the load resistor across it worked just fine. This is confusing me cus the thing I was referring to deffinately had a relay circuit in there (was switching on/off) but yeah.. Perhaps my car is special? Lol