Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 13-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #61
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Hey man I'll sell you a set of ba ones for $60. I had a buyer but he went straight to fixed back seats...
Old 20-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #62
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Did my own rust repair today. There were some nasty cancer spots under where the hatch pivots, so I ripped it off and got to work.

Full image galley http://imgur.com/a/Jbnin

Not exactly the best paint match in the world, but it's not a conspicuous place. And I think you'd agree, its better than rust and bare metal. I'm pretty stoked with how it came out actually. I'm used to doing my own mechanical work all the time, but paint and panel stuff I have only just started messing with.

derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #63
BG1.8sp

Car: 2009 BL MPS
Good job dude!
Paint and panel stuff really isn't that difficult. Just Aslong as you have some general idea of what you are doing and some time.
Old 20-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #64
derb

Also, proper prep is essential. After the first hour of sanding and my fingers were going numb I just kept repeating "time in prep is never wasted" to dull the pain.
Old 20-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #65
BG1.8sp

Car: 2009 BL MPS
Yep, you can do the best paint job... But if the prep work is crappy... You end up with crappy paint job.
Lol respray a whole car.... Then complain about your fingers hurting. Lol
By the end of it you en up with no fingerprints and you skin becomes so thin that blood seeps out from the pores.. Now that sucks! Lol
Old 21-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #66
rogerstrampoline
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1993 BG Astina SP
Car is coming along good man glad I could get you those parts.....they were friggin hard to find hahaha also I have a ba and bg cigarette lighter, same size but slightly different so u can choose
rogerstrampoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #67
z100

Car: 2003 Protege Sp20
That looks like a really neat, clean job you have done. How long did it take you?
z100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #68
derb

2 hours prep. Then 4 coats [1x primer, 3x colour] 30 mins apart. Not counting the time to taken removing the hatch which was another 15 mins on and off.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #69
derb

Sadly very little is getting done lately due to annoying little screw ups. I finally got an engine crane to do my sump seals and install the Whiteline swaybar.

But firstly the Repco that told me they had stock couldn't work it out when I went to buy them, and then the engine crane hydraulic arm crapped out and wouldn't lift above level. And finally, I went to put my newly modded front turbo cover on the hybrid turbo and the 3 holes that the actuator base plate mounts to are all somewhat stripped.

No clear plan as yet as to how to proceed, I might have to get the other cover modded, but its not ported out like the other one. At least the intake pipe is 100% done. Big fitting for the factory plumb back BOV and small fitting for the oil catch can return. Anyway, I took some mockup pics so you can have something to look at instead of this wall of text.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #70
derb

I'm sitting at home today with a possibly broken toe, so I thought I'd do an update.

I've been trying to install my new swaybar since Sunday but it certainly isn't an easy or simple process. Mazda had the genius idea to hide the bar right up in the guts of the suspension/steering on it's own cross-member that also supports the LCAs.

So far I've removed:
-The front-to-back engine cross-member
-The power steering rack mounts
-Pulled the rack out of its mounts and off the suspension cross-member
-Dropped the exhaust from the dump pipe
-Removed all nuts/bolts holding the suspension cross-member in place

But the cross-member still won't move out of its home due to it sitting on the exhaust and shifter linkage. So hopefully today I can drop the shifter linkage assembly out of the car along with the rest of the exhaust and finally remove the suspension cross-member and install the new swaybar on to it. I would really recommend this job to a mechanic unless you have lots of time and tools.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #71
rogerstrampoline
AstinaGT Regular

**** that sounds fun.........broken toe stills sounds better than my day of gathering all my notes for 13 weeks of classes and combining them into one useful document for study...then beginning to do some practise essay style questions
Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #72
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
it's a 2 person job even if you have a hoist. when i did my bushes. we removed the cross member. dropped the rear bolts and lossened the front bolts on the K-frame. then used a pry bar to gain 50mm of access to all the goodness hidden under their. btw 50mm of access is still not enough.

without a hoist, i would be:-
supporting the engine weight with strut tower crossover
undo the front and rear engine mounts and remove cross member
say 'f@#k, s@#t and motherf@#ker' about ten times
remove exhaust
undo ball joint and steering rack bolts
undo end link bolts attached to control arms
undo front and back K-frame bolts and remove K-frame
now do what you gotta do with the upper side while the K-frame is on the ground (attach everything to the K-frame and new sway bar at this stage)

to replace, do reverse, but say 'f@#k, s@#t and motherf@#ker' about one hundred times between each step
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #73
Clean_Cookie

Btw it took me and my mate 2 hours to remove the steering rack, k frame, exhaust and swaybar, even with the engine out.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #74
derb

Yay, super fun. Engine is currently being supported by a crane so all good there. I'll put 1 bolt back in either side of the k-frame and drop the shifter linkage today and then I guess I'm waiting for another set of hands at some point to remove the k-frame over the exhaust and out.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #75
Clean_Cookie

I'd help biut I have the flu. Not fun.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #76
derb

Shifter linkage is off, but the rack is still hung up on one of the mounts to the k-frame. The k-frame itself is moving around quite nicely, so I know it's just that one spot holding it back. I think I might need to grab the scissor jack and crank the k-frame back upwards to release the weight of the rack on the mount point, then once that's off it should come down out of the car.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #77
rogerstrampoline
AstinaGT Regular

if i didn't have to be a PT for someone at gym tonight i would be straight up there!! or work the rest of the days, however i shall be free this weekend most likely
Old 15-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #78
derb

OK, so after setting the steering rack free and trying to drop the k-frame, it's now fouling on the lower gearbox mount. Me and a mate can't seem to free the nuts for the mount on the gearbox easily, but I'm changing course on working on the car. It will stay in the garage for a while now and I will be upgrading some bits in the process. Work smarter, not harder.

I'll be getting a set of urethane engine mount inserts from the USA to stiffen up the mounts while the engine and gearbox are being held by the crane. Once all the mounts are off there is literally nothing holding the k-frame back except the exhaust, but I will be able to slide it over that or just suck it up and jack the rear and remove the whole system if need be.

Then everything back together with the stiffer mounts and swaybar like magic, I hope. I'll also be adjusting my oil sensors as I'm not happy with the placement of the temp sender. But none of the gauges are even in the car at this point anyway, so the oil temp, pressure and water temp senders have just been for looks all this time. So I'll at least get the waterproof connectors I bought hooked up to the senders in their new positions and run the wiring into the cabin.
Old 16-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #79
rogerstrampoline
AstinaGT Regular

That just sounds painful well upside is you got the swaybar off some awesome guy at less than half price....always an upside
Old 16-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #80
derb

Exactly dude, I just can't hate anything about this process considering the price of the bar and $0 labour charges since I'm the one getting dirty. Plus it lets me do a few things with ease from underneath instead of trying to work on a parked, non-jacked car. I'm going to get those oil sump seals today and do that too as there is nothing fouling the sump if I want to drop it today.

EDIT: Just went and bought two front brake caliper rebuild kits and some copper grease. And I've ordered my two sump seals that will be in Monday next week. Lots of fun stuff to do!

Last edited by derb; 16-06-2012 at 10:55 AM.