Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 07-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #181
323Racer

Car: 97 323 astina
what do you mean by 16.789?? is that 0-100km?
323Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #182
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323Racer
hey guys recently spoke to a few exhaust places...i've asked for a mandrel bent exhaust system and extactors and both have said for a 1.8L its not gonna make a lot of diff with the mandrel bent coz its non turbo n its only a 1.8L plus it costs alot more...and that i wont be needing extractors either coz of the same reason...what do you guys rekon..should i listen to them or juss get it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing
spoken like true V8 commwhore bogan lovers...
yeah that about covers it! haha

seriously though, most exhaust places will say the exact same thing. the reason why is quite simple - you'll lose low end power where torque is greatest, and thus you'll get the feeling of your car making less power. the exhaust shops know this, and they've probably had hundreds of customers who wanted the full and correct system, and have come back a week or so later and complained about the car making less power. the exhaust shops will also crap on about "you'll lose backpressure". if any exhaust shop that says you need backpressure - walk out immediately!!!

a 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust system NA starts to run out of legs around 200hp at the engine, or about 111kw at the wheels. a 2" is before that as well. so unless you're planning on going silly, i'd say go 2.25" all the way. and go mandrel. with NA, every little bit counts - you cant be lazy like FI to get more power.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #183
323Racer

but thats what i want..i want more torque in the low end ranges between 2 - 3000 revs....i do i do exactly to achive that...getting confused
Old 07-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #184
Putonyourshoes

Car: 2L 96 BA hatch
if you want low end.. put a smaller diameter exhaust in.. but it will absolutely kill your top end. i have a 2.25" with canon and it has really opened up the top end. yeah you lose a bit of torque but it gives it a nice strong powerband and it saves heaps of fuel too
Putonyourshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #185
twilightprotege

well then why are you looking at an exhaust? if you're wanting the sound, just get an axle back made up. anything else you do is doing to drop the power down there.

but on another side, why do you want more power between 2 and 3k? if you want it so you can get off the line quicker, or so you have more power for cruising you're thinking about it the wrong way. getting off the line quickly - how long do you stay in that power range (if at all)? for cruising power, just drop it back a gear or 2!
Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #186
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
going to jack the thread for a second, If i had a VF10 Hybrid with FMIC blah blah on 12psi, would a 2.5" all the way through be good for me, Ive heard alot of 3" BPT's lately and they are hell loud...plus im thinking that if i go a bit smaller i will get more response in the lower rev band, any opinions...

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #187
Putonyourshoes

i cant think why it wouldnt work. it would limit your on boost power though..
Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #188
323Racer

well i feel lagg in the low ranges at the moment and theres not even alot of torque in the higher ranges low meaning 2 - 3500 and high meaning 3500 to 4500 for my driving style...so thats why i want more torque in the lower ranges coz thats my usual driving style...if i push it above 2800 or more i feel it consumes abit of fuel and i gain nothing out of it....but im suspcious of my wheels....there sweet but when i put my stockos back on there still abit of lagg then when i took off the pod it was running fine...man i was so happy with it..so i was like ok it must be the pod then...nothing to do with the rims...but when i put the rims back on i felt the lagg again....so it must be something to do with the weight and profile of the tire or sumthing...i dunno...im juss looking for something that will make my car accelerate smother and faster in the lower ranges..
Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #189
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
aggressive cams and higher compression pistons will do that
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #190
Putonyourshoes

would advancing the timing do anything to help this?
(this is a question not a suggestion)
Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #191
project.r.racing

nope, will just do the same as exhaust.

you will not get any good increases in torque unless you open up the engine. or boost it!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #192
Putonyourshoes

cheers mate. worth doing do you think?(sorry for hijacking)
Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #193
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putonyourshoes View Post
cheers mate. worth doing do you think?(sorry for hijacking)
only if running 98ron or 100ron... if running 95ron, the ecu will just advance enough for it...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #194
Putonyourshoes

cheers mate

so 323racer... when are we going to see photos of these rims?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #195
twilightprotege

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappy65 View Post
going to jack the thread for a second, If i had a VF10 Hybrid with FMIC blah blah on 12psi, would a 2.5" all the way through be good for me, Ive heard alot of 3" BPT's lately and they are hell loud...plus im thinking that if i go a bit smaller i will get more response in the lower rev band, any opinions...
you wont get any more response, and it depends on what you deam as response - is it low end power, or power there straight away? upstream of the turbo is the biggest determining factor for response. more flow downstream of the turbo (ie bigger exhaust) will give better response too, but less flow will not. anyway, the diff between 2.5 and 3" on 12psi is minimal at best, but 3" is always future proofing yourself...just depends on priority. just remember dan's car was getting 8psi at 1750rpm with a 3" exhaust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323Racer View Post
well i feel lagg in the low ranges at the moment and theres not even alot of torque in the higher ranges low meaning 2 - 3500 and high meaning 3500 to 4500 for my driving style...so thats why i want more torque in the lower ranges coz thats my usual driving style...if i push it above 2800 or more i feel it consumes abit of fuel and i gain nothing out of it....but im suspcious of my wheels....there sweet but when i put my stockos back on there still abit of lagg then when i took off the pod it was running fine...man i was so happy with it..so i was like ok it must be the pod then...nothing to do with the rims...but when i put the rims back on i felt the lagg again....so it must be something to do with the weight and profile of the tire or sumthing...i dunno...im juss looking for something that will make my car accelerate smother and faster in the lower ranges..
big wheels kill power (well wheel power). just remember your engine is making the same power no matter what wheels you have. the lighter they are, the less power is used to turn them and more goes in to moving your car forward, thus giving you the feel of more power.

seriously though, if you really want power under 3000rpm, leave the stock exhaust. money would be better spent on something like a microtech. lordworm's protege sp20 went from a 16.2 1/4 mile car with stock everything to a 15.5 1/4 mile car with just the addition of a microtech. probably gained little in peak power, but the low and middle range power gained a lot. better fuel economy too! certainly cant see an exhaust giving you that sort of gains...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #196
project.r.racing

Quote:
for those who haven't read the previous pages of the thread...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #197
Putonyourshoes

hahaha that definitely wasnt aimed at me.. yeah i see it now but it was refusing to load before
they look good mate
Old 08-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #198
323Racer

thanx dude...they look sweet but if it really is lagging my ride then im gonna sell em off...im juss really troubled atm..i've heald my stocks and held my rims and theres not a lot of diff in weight....profile of the tire is 205/40/R17 on the rims and stocks are 185/65/R14...does that say anything?....

Last edited by 323Racer; 08-01-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #199
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 BA Astina Hatchback
Hey, I just got my 18s and yes I can feel the acceleration speed is slower off the line now but thats what i expected LOL. But as twilight protege said "well wheel power" (never heard of the term but ill just call it that as well). The little increase in weight of your 17s requires more power to turn them thus making your acceleration slower. Even the slightest weight makes a difference especially when our cars are quite underpowered at the moment which is why some people buy lightweight rims which only give a couple of kg reduction and cost an arm and leg.

I guess if you have about 2-3g lying around you can go pick up a nice looking set of lightweight rims like Rays etc with some good quality tyres. Thatll give you minor improvements maybe. Or you can stick with your stockies and put some good tyres on that. Try stay away from el cheapo tyres that weigh like bricks and dont grip if you can.

And your pod should increase the power on your car, so maybe leave that on. The only reason I can think of, that would make it slow your car down is that too much hot air may be getting sucked in so you need to counter that in some way

- Phil

Last edited by phly; 08-01-2008 at 11:01 AM.
phly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #200
twilightprotege

Quote:
thanx dude...they look sweet but if it really is lagging my ride then im gonna sell em off...im juss really troubled atm..i've heald my stocks and held my rims and theres not a lot of diff in weight....profile of the tire is 205/40/R17 on the rims and stocks are 185/65/R14...does that say anything?....
even if there is no difference in weight in total, the weight of bigger wheels is further away from the centre, thus the rotational mass is greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by phly View Post
"well wheel power" (never heard of the term but ill just call it that as well)
sorry, i was meaning big wheels kill power, ie wheel power. big wheels has no effect on engine power