Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 24-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #21
02-KQ-LASR
SHO~247

Car: laser kq 2002
yeah im unsure bout a cai atm..
im lookin into a few options, ( turbo kits, internals, ecu...) im not spendin big $$$ till im sure of wat im doing.

custom boot install(fibreglass boxes),mazda 3 handbrake rachet,power window motors x 2,power window switches, guage rings

its all gotta go!!!
pm me any offers!!
02-KQ-LASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #22
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
still really depends on what your happy to do, the ECU still sounds the best to do, but yeah, intake and exhaust might not add as much, but it will add "butt dyno" effect, loud noises make it seem faster XD.

edit: if it was me, id put the money away, save some more, get 2.5-3K away, then spend it at once.

get the ECU done, as well as a full exhaust and intake. and get it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

if it was me id spend the 3 grand on suspension parts, but my cars older, and yours already seems pretty decent from your avatar.

good luck on any decision you make anyways.
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
DVS
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BJII sp20
save your dosh till you get another car thats has a better base to modify from
Old 25-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #24
02-KQ-LASR
SHO~247

this car is as good as anything else to mod..
iv all ready spent thousands on it, im hardly gonna stop now.
before i started spending big $$ on it it was up for sale, but i decided to keep it and see what i can do.

custom boot install(fibreglass boxes),mazda 3 handbrake rachet,power window motors x 2,power window switches, guage rings

its all gotta go!!!
pm me any offers!!
Old 25-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #25
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
What he means is that the engine that exists in our cars isnt the best tuning engine known to man.

There doesnt exist the massive aftermarket parts and resources that are available to other cars/engines. B18C for example
Ice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #26
DVS
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BJII sp20
ditto and they are already quicker engines to tinker with
Old 25-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
An SP20 with just axle-back/muffler and panel filter is nice, add to that a aftermarket ECU and you've got a nice peppy car, even if it isn't a K20A.

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #28
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
An SP20 with just axle-back/muffler and panel filter is nice, add to that a aftermarket ECU and you've got a nice peppy car, even if it isn't a K20A.

Gav.
yeah thats true too, of course theres other engines that are going to be faster stock, but if you love the car, do what you must and what you want.

its a free world (hey look at me, im modding a 1.8 SOHC BP motor / BG astina....to most people thats just a plain waste of money when i could use that money ive spent to buy something more "worthwhile")
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #29
02-KQ-LASR
SHO~247

everyones version of "worthwhile" is different...

its all gotta go!!!
pm me any offers!!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #30
LordWorm

Car: .
the FSDE (and FPDE) do get a bad wrap...unfortunatly as they stand unmodded they are a bit uninspiring...
add to that the "short" block design (as in physically short, not much space between each cylinder), and you've got limited overbore options, and small (and limited room to improve) combustion chambers...
The head is ok but not great... the con rods are weak, and the cams are fairly pathetic...the undersquare engine (stroke bigger than bore) contributes to the limited ability to rev...

HOWEVER...there are some really good things that make it a worthy "modders" engine... cast iron (which is for all intents and purposes unbreakable), an indestructible crankshaft mean the motor can be easilly built to live with huge amounts of abuse.... the short rod ratio, whilst not great for NA, is a turbo chargers dream, as it will assist in staving off detonation. Really, if you have the money to rebuild the engine to overcome some of its obvious short comings, and have change left over to strap on a snail, big power can be made (400hp is fairly commonplace in america now days, and in some crazy "track only" drag racing examples the motor has made 600 wheel horsepower with minimal effort).

Forgetting about the engine for 5 seconds - the BJ chassis is pretty good... and responds well to suspension upgrades. There are plenty of options for springs, shocks, coilovers, bars, braces, etc etc etc.

So its not a bad car to modify if you don't mind doing a fair amount of work....sure there are "do more for less" cars out there, but that's almost always going to be the case....I reckon if you like the car and have a fat enough wallet, its "worthwhile" modding just about anything

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #31
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
LOL, enough money to rebuild the engine and then enough change left over for a turbo kit!

Yay! Someone mentioned an FP!

Every other car I drive reminds me why I like mine, so I'll keep "wasting money" on my "not worth modifying car" because it's FUN. So there.
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #32
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Gonzalez View Post
LOL, enough money to rebuild the engine and then enough change left over for a turbo kit!

Yay! Someone mentioned an FP!

Every other car I drive reminds me why I like mine, so I'll keep "wasting money" on my "not worth modifying car" because it's FUN. So there.
My point exactly..
theres plenty to be gained on the BJ without touching the motor... suspension ALONE is plenty fun. I remember Chicaboo's "SP18"... sure its engine mods were mild, and it didn't have the most inspiring performance....but it cornered like it was on rails thanks to some very smart purchases in the suspension department...and was one of the most fun cars i've ever had the pleasure of driving.

If you love the car, and you don't mind sinking cash into it....you can modify anything....hell even a clapped out volvo is mod worthy if you love the car

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote