Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Off Topic

Old 16-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #41
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 99 mx5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky_88 View Post
I am a 21 year old female driver on her red P's because I never wanted them earlier. So, in saying that, should that make me a better driver as I am older? In some cases, no! In my opinion, no one should be allowed to get their L's until they are 18 and then get their licence at the age of 19. By then you are more mature and responsible (or at least we would hope so), as you hear too many accidents by young drivers. To me a 16 year old is still a baby and shouldn't be allowed behind a wheel.

I agree with Adam though, we shouldn't be labelled for having a plate on our car as I know some of the worst drivers are those that don't indicate or drive dangerously slow on a highway/motorway, etc. I find the worst are people in 4WD. Those type of cars should be left for bush bashing and not that's it. No road time as they are terrible at night with their lights but also unsafe as they can't see the little people on the road!
well, i got my Ls at 16 and my P's at 16 and a half, and currently bieng 17 by your logic i shouldn't be driving, however it works in SA becuase at 16 the only people who can be bothered getting the hours and lessons etc. are those who like me are required to drive for family/freedom reasons. and those who are car enthusiasts and have driven on farms or raced before. these are usually the mature drivers ON the road because we value our license. others will wait till they need there license e.g. parents don't drive them everywhere. or get there L's but don't drive much or don't have lessons with an instructor

of course there are the few exceptions of people who see a license as a right not a privilege and are immature (commodore or old rwd cars like celica,sigma drivers) but thats all part of growing up, and they usually have fuel or parts cost and speeding fines to pay stopping them anyway. its like drinking though the irresponsible ones will be irresponsible no-matter their age.

problem is the best solutions to stop immature drivers impact the mature drivers heavily e.g. number of passengers means i cant take my young sisters to school etc.. curfew means people cant get to work, or i cant pick up mates when they drink (Mormons make good designated drivers)

and with the 4wd's A CHILD IS NOT AN EXCUSE. buy a tarago there's more room and its fuel efficient not to mention safer. if u drive near a school at pickup/drop off times u will know y i hate them. they turn the widest streets into 1 way traffic and its just plain dangerous when the children are 3 feet tall and running around. however i want one because i would use it for off road driving with mates, and tow the trailer (with motto on it).

I think a permit (proof of intended purpose e.g. farm use, trade etc..) should be required to own any 4wd (this will get rid of those stupid "cute" 4wds aimed at females for status cymbal's e.g. rav4, BMW x5 etc.. My astina has more ground clearance (no joke i compared the girls 4wds at school to it) the only exception is the Suzuki sierra and vitara as they are monsters off road, but unfortunately the majority are driven by young females as there cute small cars. nothing against females want cute small cars but try a corrola or barina they are made for you're purpose not a fake 4wd which lacks and 4wd function due to it being low to make it "safe" for you're pointless use of it.

last part of this rant, when my dad took his Toyota Parado for its first service the mechanics were impressed because it was the first one they had seen with mud all underneath from off road action (he uses it for work as a hydraulic engineer so travels to rural areas often as well as on site stuff)

straights are good for fast cars
corners are for fast drivers

Last edited by spenaroo; 16-09-2009 at 05:47 PM.
spenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #42
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:

I am a 21 year old female driver on her red P's because I never wanted them earlier. So, in saying that, should that make me a better driver as I am older? In some cases, no! In my opinion, no one should be allowed to get their L's until they are 18 and then get their licence at the age of 19. By then you are more mature and responsible (or at least we would hope so), as you hear too many accidents by young drivers. To me a 16 year old is still a baby and shouldn't be allowed behind a wheel.

I'll leave it just for you.

besides I think someone told me something about engineers and Pig poo.

Anyway just on the above point I agree.

in fact in some cases I think drinking should be higher but I won't mention that one.

I only agree because too many people at that age are well. like you said babies.

I grew up Michael jackson style - tiger woods. No playing with toys - Here is 100peice lego set your 3 years of age build it.
Fix the the lighting in the house at age 8.
build a a 386 DX 2 with 3MB of ram - a VGA card and twin floppy drives 5and 1/4 and 3 and 1/2. yeah I was doing that too before I was teen.
but amazingly I was poor at all that compared to others.

but If they did raise the age ? wouldn't they have too maybe keep kids in school longer? I know for fact many students by 16 the brain is fryed, it can't do much more. It's like a footy player expected to understand a question on where his money went after the contract sigining. Sometimes they are only good for doing one thing at a time. Or they need head phones or ear buds. With " Breath IN - Breath out - Breath in, Breath out, Pass the ball, Run the ball ". If we didn't have public schools - most of these types would be our minimal wagers. Lucky enough we Import them by plane load.

Enough said for now.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #43
Ky_88
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1998 Honda Civic CXi Hatchback
Spenaroo, I totally agree with you about 4WD. Implementing a permit would be one way but I'm sure there are other ways aswell. A woman in a 4WD to me is dangerous, like you said, near schools. How often do you hear on the news a woman ran over her child because she couldn't see him, etc. Sad..

Rodhog, thank you for leaving that point be. As for your comment on drinking, I think I agree with that too. 21 should be the age like America, would help with all the pub brawls.

I can see where you're coming from with your comment about children in school longer but do they really need to do that. I mean surely a teen can have a job after they finish school, or go to Uni/TAFE without having to be able to drive. There is such thing as public transport and I used that for quite awhile and I worked.. it's doable!

Perhaps they should implement Drivers Education videos when you take your L's or before you do your red P test? Scare tactics might just help on the day of a licence test..
Ky_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #44
rodhog

Quote:

I can see where you're coming from with your comment about children in school longer but do they really need to do that. I mean surely a teen can have a job after they finish school, or go to Uni/TAFE without having to be able to drive. There is such thing as public transport and I used that for quite awhile and I worked.. it's doable!

Perhaps they should implement Drivers Education videos when you take your L's or before you do your red P test? Scare tactics might just help on the day of a licence test..
I might repair histroic public transport as a hobby. But I hate public transport. It's like a Lepper convention or it's just terrible. Note - it's Sydney. Melbourne - Perth and QR's brisbane/gold coast services are nice.

as for the video thing LOL.

Won't work I don't think. You can get licence in sydney for $1450 without sitting any test, and it comes up on the system.
We give them out for LEARNING HOW TO PASS A TEST. Not actually being able to drive.
Old 18-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #45
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
the problem is you do well on the day and you pass, doesnt mean that you actually drive properly every other day

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #46
Ky_88
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1998 Honda Civic CXi Hatchback
True.. you have good and bad days. I know that on the day of my test I had a shocker due to my nerves. Forgot to turn off my indicator after changing lanes and perhaps waited just a little too long to turn as some points, but I passed. I think something needs to be done because there are TOO many bad drivers on the roads, seniors included. Should make a rule to re-test seniors once they hit 75 or something. Might make things a little safer!
Ky_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #47
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
i agree with u there ky, they should retest the seniors ability to drive, at least their senses and reflexes and perhaps put restrictions on their licence. the saddest story iv heard recently was a bride to be going shoping with her mum for a wedding dress that was rundown by a senior who was as blind as a bat, but he was never tested.. they should test them every 6 months to a year at least, cus males especially are too proud to go to a doctor, and if their vision fails most will not admit it or not admit how bad it is anyway, so they wont have correct prescription.. but what gould would it be putting a near blind 70+ year old in jail, that lived and had a full life, if they manslaughtered a 20 something year old person who had their whole life ahead of them.. (manslaughter should realy not be used as a term here as that implyes accidental murder, rather if the person was not fit to drive it should be full murder, just like if your drunk or high when you drive, you are wilingly putting others lives at risk..)
problem with p-platers having bad assiciation with their names is that its comon sense that they arent the most experienced drivers on the road, plus if they are teenagers, they might be one of the few wthin their group of friends to have a car, which makes them the driver, which means tht there is a car full of teens with little to no experience in driving and road safety being backseat drivers, and teens give in to peer pressure easily.. thats why p platers get such a bad rep.. changing the age of licencing wont do much, as even at 21 some ppl are very immature.. and those who are natural law breakers wont change at the age of 21, and if they are gonna drink and drive they will do so at any age..
Old 18-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #48
Rix

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Ba
Send a message via MSN to Rix
See if Vic, when getting your license you are required to undergo an eye test.
In QLD you are not required to undertake an mandatory eye test, it is your responsibility to alter QLD transport of any medical conditions.
I believe that because it is a government service they should have to cross check your medical history before giving anyone a license. Cause as Tony said most men won't go to a doctor as its seen as being weak.
Rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #49
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

that and seniors are losing so much of their freedom due to age that they think if they go to a doctor they will lose more or find out there dying of some illness, so they are very protective of what freedom they have. many seniors refuse to get give up driving as they see it as a right and freedom. once u lose your license u lose your freedom in their eyes, u become a burden on everyone else

Old 18-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #50
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
yeh well my other half's nanna dont mind being a burden thats for sure.
i know that with my eye condition ATM im very close to being unable to drive (the condition i have is called keratoconus normal glasses or contacts wont fix it) and i will hate it if i ever drop below that point ( but hopefully will be able to afford the rigid contacts @ $300 each eye by then) and while i feel that i can still see well enough i would feel obligated to stop driving simply because if i had an accident i would be utterly and completely responsible because there would be too much ambiguity about whether or not my vision was the cause

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #51
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoru View Post
the problem is you do well on the day and you pass, doesnt mean that you actually drive properly every other day
No such thing when your in control of a dangerous weapon.

think about it - does pilot have good day or bad day- Good day - you land - bad day - you crash ?
A train driver I'm having a bad day I keep missing the last two carriages at each station.

What I mean by being able to drive, IS CONTROL OF A WEAPON.

Think about, I' have my gun licence's revoked 2 times. Mainly due to court issues. But it's there to keep me from going out and practicing at the range with guns which may or may not lead me to doing silly things.
You know kill people in the gun club and go to school or shopping mall.

But with a Car you have YOU and people around who you can not control.

So you have factor of control and factor in which you must REACT TOO.

Now I don't know how many people I've seen, show no control of a car.
from, riding the brake because it's going to fast I don't like that feeling.
To when some don't accelerate fast or quickly enough to allow traffic to flow. Then you have the ignorance which I think goes back to other issue in society.

In sydney, two things I've seen increase since going back to driving daily 2-4 times week. And travellign same route I did roughly about 7-9 years ago and same time period - proberly about 15mins differene.

Lack of ability to react and think in the correct way. Leading to- Sitting in the middle of intersection ad blockign traffic when it changes direction.

And RED light running. It's massive, it's like oh it's red I still go.
yesterday - Okay it was bankstown ( sydney joke) but I got green and the other side 4 cars keep going on red.
I was driving a Hire car, I just drove into a gap I made, with horn on.
Not only did they go on red, they also had to slow for the car park entrance and yes I didn't hit anything due to well I guess that driver the 3rd out of the 4 - Reacting to the horn , Got out of the way. 4th one was alos honked at by others.

I have to admit it's mostly in sydney I see that crap with red-lights.
And not amber -red - RED RED RED Other side GREEN.

My PERSONAL OPINON ( not a AGT one is )
THESE A-HOLES SHOULD GO BACK ON TO THE PLANE OR BOAT AND GO DRIVE LIKE THAT WHERE EVERY THEY THINK IT'S OKAY TO ACT LIKE THAT. BECAUSE IT'S NOT AUSTRALIAN, IT'S NOT WESTERN THINKING.

as for older drivers.

there was time when being slow on weekend weekday day time didn't matter. But the roads are SO CONGESTED NOW.

Plus how many of these older drivers have gone into houses or little Girls crossing the street. You know the poor little girl who was in the day care center car throught the wall - then recvoery TV specials Again crossing the street Another old male driver hits her.

HELLO.

now again another of my GREAT OPINIONS - actually it's more something I do know better having been part of it.
You can't attack old people. They live longer and VOTE LONGER.
YOu make it hard for old people to live, and you loose votes. simple as that. there have been in many states but I know SA and NSW both had studies into it and neither too kthe recomendations all the way. Again votes. IF they did go to the manditory 60 years of age medical clearance and after 65 - every year health check by accredited dotors AKA not your own. You would find most would not pass, that let alone say a reaction and driving test.

SA got furher then NSW.

My thought a a side joke but could work.

WE send all old people over 70 to Tasmania, and they can drive there, and any younger people only go there for work or to be age care workers.

that away they end up only driving into each other but because they all go slow, they will all have enough reaction time to hit each other. highest ownership of sheep skin cover cars ever in one place.

And then when they die, all cars are shipped back to main land and sold to P-platers. As good first cars
Old 18-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #52
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

now please don't call me monster etc.. for this
but ive been thinking compulsory euthanasia for people at say 70 or if they fail a medical after 65, think of all the benefits, no pension so lower taxes, housing market is freed up as there is no investment property's. classic cars kept in sheds are driven (think of the toranas and monaros) the improvements to the health care system, no surgery's etc wasted on people who are going to die 6mths later, doctors freed up. not to mention all the improvements that are halted as old people don't like change but are the only ones with time to voice there opinion. (Adelaide guys know this too well)

however just cuase i think it doesn't mean i think it should happen but it is logical

Last edited by spenaroo; 18-09-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 18-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #53
SineWave

Car: White '93 BG Auto Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenaroo View Post
now please don't call me monster etc.. for this
but ive been thinking compulsory euthanasia for people at say 70 or if they fail a medical after 65, think of all the benefits, no pension so lower taxes, housing market is freed up as there is no investment property's. classic cars kept in sheds are driven (think of the toranas and monaros) the improvements to the health care system, no surgery's etc wasted on people who are going to die 6mths later, doctors freed up. not to mention all the improvements that are halted as old people don't like change but are the only ones with time to voice there opinion. (Adelaide guys know this too well)

however just cuase i think it doesn't mean i think it should happen but it is logical
If we killed everyone, we wouldn't have any problems in the world! :P
You start thinking like that and it could be bad... But a humourous aside, to quote from bash:
"<xterm> The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
My grandmother chose to stop driving some time after 75 when she had an accident which wasn't her fault, but she felt she didn't really need to drive anymore. It really depends on the person in each case.
- Adam
SineWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #54
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
haha wait untill your old mate then see if you still think like that spenaroo...
no offence but i wonder just how old u are, cus again no offence but ur acting like a self centered american teen (again no offece to americans, thats my personal oppinion from ppl i have met) ok spenaroo(kanye) lets think of it like this..
your mother or father whom you love so much and hold so close and dear to you turn 65 and bam they have to be put down like a old horse.. what the fuking hell is wrong with you. i know that im gona get flamed for this from IMC but i personaly dont give a fuk hitler.. how bout we test the 1st lot euthenasia vacines on you and u tell us if u like it?? every one of those old ppl are related to someone and have touched someones life, and there is no such a thing as compulsary euthenasia, euthenasia is a voluntary peace, what you are talking bout is murder... every life is precious and every person contributes to this world in their own way..
you are the next antichrist...
peace

Last edited by 70NYD; 19-09-2009 at 12:05 AM.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #55
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

hey i never said i liked the idea or would support it, i just said every now and then i think about it. i didn't come up with the idea, a mate did. i have never thought seriously about it, its just a straying thought every now and a again when im annoyed sitting behind an old person 20km under the limit.

hell u guys cant tell me that u don't think about this sort of thing about this sort of thing when u hear about child killers, rapists etc.. that they should bring capital punishment back, or they should have their crime done to them

Old 19-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #56
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

it is like my mates ethics test,
if there were two people tied to a railway on one side of the intersection, and five on the other, u would change the tracks so one died rather then the five right?

if u are driving a bus on a road on a cliff face and your brakes fail with a bend coming up but there is a drive way with a child playing in it, would you save the thirty people on the bus at the cost of the child?

so if there is five people in need of an immediate transplant and a perfectly healthy person who is perfectly compatible with those in need of the transplant would u kill the one to save the five?

the first two u would probably say yes to but the last one no-one i know would say yes and neither would i. as with the old people thing just because it is logically doesn't mean i would support the idea but it makes sense. if u dont take into account ethics. but i still have ethics therefore while i see the logical side i wouldn't support the idea

Old 28-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #57
S373N

Car: 1991 Mazda 323 Astina GTX Conversion (Currently M.I.A)
Send a message via ICQ to S373N Send a message via AIM to S373N Send a message via MSN to S373N Send a message via Yahoo to S373N
sorry to bump it up, im bored.
it tas there is a new way of testing learners, 6 months into the licence they test them, then a year later i think then another 6 as i was told. (the first one is definite)
S373N is offline   Reply With Quote