Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 14-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
glennjj

Car: 323 astina ba
Question nOOb question - first car

hey guys
first car, got a nice mazda 323 '97 BA, auto 1.8L
mates are pricks and wont give me proper answers lol..

I wanna make sure I maintain my car, so just had a couple questions on general maintenance etc, i looked through the stuck threads but didnt really find specific info i was after sorry :/

anyway
I know how to check the engine oil and top it up when needed, but whats the go with transmission/gearbox oil? is that a seperate thing i also need to check and top up occasionally or what? :\ because I see different oil bottles specifically for the transmission in repco etc, if so where is the plug? lol

also whats some other most common things i should be checking regularly? so no damage happens to my new car... told ya I was a noob lol, no haters plz :P
glennjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 14-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
BrownDog

Car: 1997 BA "The Red Baron"
engine oil:
pull the dipstick closest to the belts
wipe all oil off
re-insert then pull back out
the oil level is shown the end, if low add 0.8ltr of oil 20w/50 or 15w/40 is good
pour oil through the oil cap on top of motor [jus in case u werent sure]

a good indication if the oil is low and you havent checked in a while, you will hear a rather annoying ticking/tapping noise from the motor, dont get confused with genreal lifter/tappets or injector noises as a low oil tap is rather loud

Trans oil:
pretty much the same process except use the other dipstick and if low pour oil down the pipe the dipstick comes out of [needs clarifacation as i own a manual]

oil use auto trans fluid normallay called ATX blah blah blah, any good worker can help you or use the penrite/castrol book and it should tell you

The Red Baron

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
My Madza 323 Goes...
SSSSSSSSTUUTUUTUU
BrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
glennjj

Car: 323 astina ba
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDog View Post
engine oil:
pull the dipstick closest to the belts
wipe all oil off
re-insert then pull back out
the oil level is shown the end, if low add 0.8ltr of oil 20w/50 or 15w/40 is good
pour oil through the oil cap on top of motor [jus in case u werent sure]

a good indication if the oil is low and you havent checked in a while, you will hear a rather annoying ticking/tapping noise from the motor, dont get confused with genreal lifter/tappets or injector noises as a low oil tap is rather loud

Trans oil:
pretty much the same process except use the other dipstick and if low pour oil down the pipe the dipstick comes out of [needs clarifacation as i own a manual]

oil use auto trans fluid normallay called ATX blah blah blah, any good worker can help you or use the penrite/castrol book and it should tell you
Oh ok, I didnt even know there was another seperate dipstick :| I finally found it after like 10 mins of looking, a tiny hidden black knob in a black engine bay... but yeah it needed a top up of oil, was really low, hope nothings ruined coz of that, last owner musnt of checked that one much

cheers for the info, ill keep a regular check on both oil levels now
glennjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
whitev6

Car: 98 V6 hatch white manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjj View Post
Oh ok, I didnt even know there was another seperate dipstick :| I finally found it after like 10 mins of looking, a tiny hidden black knob in a black engine bay... but yeah it needed a top up of oil, was really low, hope nothings ruined coz of that, last owner musnt of checked that one much

cheers for the info, ill keep a regular check on both oil levels now
Trannys don't burn oil, (unless you melt the transmission) so most likely you are dropping it on the ground through a leaking seal or testing it at the wrong time.

Some manufacturers say to check auto oil level when cold, some say hot...this will vary the level enormously.. So best check back here and ask someone if its s'pose to be checked hot or cold..

Good luck,, I'm new here too..
whitev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
check oils/fluids at or near operating temp. both engines and auto gearboxes have sumps. you want to check that the sumps are full after fluids have be circulating around for 5-10 minutes.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
BrownDog

Car: 1997 BA "The Red Baron"
Yeah could be leaking if it's low, go for a drive and get both the motor and Trans warm then park over the top of some news paper and come back later and look for oil spots

The Red Baron

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
My Madza 323 Goes...
SSSSSSSSTUUTUUTUU
BrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote