Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 24-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Savvyfx
Awesome Member

Car: .
BA V6 Clutch Master Cylinder

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has replaced their master cylinder for their clutch, or knows the best method for it. As all you V6 owners know, the engine bay is absolutely packed, I can't even see the unit from the top. I'm unsure about tackling the unit from the top or bottom. I'm really hoping that I don't have to remove the valve cover.

Regards,
SavvyFx
Savvyfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
TheMAN

the master cylinder is on the bulkhead... were you referring to the slave cylinder which is attached to the gearbox?

usually on these cars, slave cylinder replacement is from the bottom of the car
you may want to get the starter out for more room too
Old 25-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Savvyfx
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
the master cylinder is on the bulkhead... were you referring to the slave cylinder which is attached to the gearbox?

usually on these cars, slave cylinder replacement is from the bottom of the car
you may want to get the starter out for more room too
Yeah, the master cylinder is slightly dripping into the footwell.

The slave cylinder while covered in oil, looks to be in working condition and with substantial amount of free room .
Old 27-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Savvyfx
Awesome Member

Not sure why it too so long, but I located the clutch master cylinder. It was quite obviously attached to the reservoir. I've highlighted it in the picture attached.

I'm going to pick up the part tomorrow and fit it. If I remember, I'll take pictures as I go for future reference if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mastercyl.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	304  
Old 27-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
TheMAN

looks like a real pain in the **** to replace... be careful not to knock a hole in that A/C line running above there

you'll want to replace BOTH the master and slave cylinders... usually when one goes bad, it doesn't take long for the other to go

you must bench bleed the new master cylinder before installing it, otherwise it will be very difficult to bleed

since the reservoir is shared between both the brake and clutch master cylinders, there's no doubt that brake fluid will leak out when you disconnect that rubber hose... I find it better to get a suitable rubber cap (8mm I think) and just put it on quickly once I disconnect the hose... that way not too much fluid gets lost and you wouldn't have to mess with the brakes
Old 27-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
The hose is long enough to wedge up if you take the hose off the master side, rather than the reservoir. but on the i4 its easy...5 minute job. looks like a pita in the v6.