Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 16-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
What happens when you make an assumption.

I bought an engine today, a K?-ZE from an import Chronos.
The Chronos is the same as the GE 626/Telstar which were only released in Australia with only KL-DEs (as far as V6s go).
It is a ZE as it has the right heads but as I've found out this afternoon the Chronos had the option of K8, KF and KL. On the bright side the car had factory foggies which may rule out a K8.

Oh well, I'll find out on Monday. It only cost $200

It also had this switch. The top is obviously for the fog lamps but I have no idea what the lower switch does.

Edit: Clearer pic. BTW the car had no ABS, Airbag or cruise control.

Last edited by Cosmo Dude; 07-05-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Cosmo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 16-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
needs more focus

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
mm i can't see it either. its not headlight washers or something similar?

EDIT: taking a second look it could be traction control?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Yeah, me and bourbs thought about traction control...but i actually think its jap writing..what do u guys think?...bahahahaha

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
ranoverbyamazada

Car: 84/ford courier/91 astina sp
find someone that can read jappaness lol
ranoverbyamazada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Chris_Cool

Car: Mazda Astina 323 SP Turbo and TX3
Or do what I did when I got into the astina, The button had no writting on it so I pushed it lol. Head lights came up?

Plans: Sound System! Full Respray, Perhaps a new set of mags?.
Chris_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
CityEnd

Car: .
although you say ther is no cruise control, i think that's what it is.

mum knows chinese and i asked her to have a look at it, not exactly the same i know, but she translated it to "continuous move"
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #8
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
having looked at many of them and not just broshoures etc but also the few imported Cronos 626/ and MS6 or MX-6's etc even MS9 and the like.

Here is my advise looking for a KL-ZE - GO to a decent imported. THe extra price you pay will be your benifit.

here in NSW I've onyl used SSS automotive - people say to me blah blah expensive over this guy. but These guys know there stuff they see and they don't give a decnet warrenty for no reason.

I've never had problem.

I know other places expecially in sydney, do import motors/ panels the lot - but they dont' know nor do they care. They are hi Km's and yes All Hi KM's moslty from then northern par of japan where the cars they the stuff from have massive amounts of the Rust damage. All equal cheap and they sell cheap for a reason.

Also here is a massive tip, Don't judge the car by the features. It's not like here where - said model may only get this and that like BA V6 got Fog's.

In japananese models. Come in so many different ranges, it's like well it's more like back in the mid 90's where holdens and fords had - your bottom range then your optioned up package bottom range then your next package etc.
Or I'll put it like this
VP Commodore - Executive
VP Commodore - Executive Vacationer
VP Commodore - Executive - Police pack ( V8 no power options but berlins inteiror ? )
VP commodore Berlina etc
VP Commodore - Berlina Plus pack ( saw one yesterday calais bar factory)
then so on with Calais

We dont' see a mazda that way but you get them

I can take the GD 626 - as I saw one yesterday - import sine wave supercharger
only the telstars ever had no power windows in Aus all 626 were full power options but this 626 had full spec Sine waver Supercharger Deisel engine.
In the wagons, it was the same early on. base had nothing etc but then THEY HAD THE CARGO 500KG/800KG jsut for load carrying. Have vinal door trims - no ash trays -motors were only N/A deisel and 1.8L Carby/single point injection in 1991 - SOHC 12 valve 4 cylinder. It was not a capella but a cargo different spec again same car different spec.

Effectively, even things liek 4WS does not rule it out. As I got off Rupewrencht shows you can get a 1.8L with 4Ws 626, never sold anywhere else. so 4WS didn't mean 2.0L motor no or hatch or coupe it meant anything.

Of all the GE stuff. I've seen GE 1.8L-v6 Igot a photo on my phone.
seen KF powered MS6/Mx-6 imported to aus had all Aus features, only missing top range climate but again only featured here on toprange but it onyl had a KF. The side panel said so too.

In fact it's one advantage over that era is most models had the badging of the engine on the side
1.8L -V6 - KF-ZE or KF-2.0L odd one's are KFZE-2.0L
Most of the MX-6/Ms6 2.5L all had KL-2.5L but then agains most didn't have anything at all.

As for switch three things come ot mind. some markets had the oscilating venting switchable on the GE. others did not.
The other is the ventilation ironiser filter
and the one that would make more sense especially if it's winter pack car you say no ABS. Alot of cars in the north don't like ABS as it's not good on snow or ice.

WAter heater. - heats the water in the car while it's staitonary. been a option for a long time.
small 12volt heater in welsh plug stops the radiator fluid frezzing and helps keep the car engine warm enough to stop sudden heat transfer in the alloy.
Massive problem with metal bits is going from cold state to hot sudden.

example is aircraft - real cold in the air they pre heat the hydrolic fluid - problem valvles etc can lock or not work due to sudden change from -120 degree's to 50degress of hot fluid, so some planes run heats not common it is in some industrial applications but in most it's done in desgin.

Car makers don't have the money to put into it. After all they only want the car to live 5 years - so you buy a new one.

Another reaosn you don't want a import engine from the North
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
my head hurts. I think this is the last post by rodhog i'm going to try and read. It takes way to long to even decipher his spelling, after which you got to figure out the syntax.

Oh: ABS, was made for ice or snow on the road. You are getting them mixed up with gravel, where ABS takes longer to stop (in gravel u want to dig through the surface to the hard underlay and bit into that hence better without ABS which keeps you skiming on top of the gravel)

The rest i didn't really understand so won't comment.
Old 18-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinncinatus View Post
my head hurts. I think this is the last post by rodhog i'm going to try and read. It takes way to long to even decipher his spelling, after which you got to figure out the syntax.

Oh: ABS, was made for ice or snow on the road. You are getting them mixed up with gravel, where ABS takes longer to stop (in gravel u want to dig through the surface to the hard underlay and bit into that hence better without ABS which keeps you skiming on top of the gravel)

The rest i didn't really understand so won't comment.
Yeah I should have made that claerer - the roads of the north are B roads moslty and are mix of loose tarmac and gravel. But even the loclas say they don't like ABs up there. even on the Snow.
Most new ABS is made for all surfaces but that's a local and personal choice.
like non power windows some don't like powered windows?
We get no option here. They still do .
Old 18-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Even if it's only for parts $200 is a good buy.
I was tossing up the idea of stroking the factory KF with a KL/KJ crank and boring 2mm to roughly KJ bore giving 2250ish cc topping it off with ZE heads, a Millenia inlet manifold, TB, ECU and AFM.
The accessory lists I was working off was from a Japanese site so it should be fairly accurate but the proof will come when the engine arrives.
Old 19-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #12
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
That doesn't sound like a good idea. Theres a certain ratio between bore and stroke that you shouldn't fu*k with. It took millions of hours of R & D to achieve it so your boring out the cylindar to some random configuration of stroke length to bore width sounds like you'll be doing more harm then good.

Just transplant a bigger engine where all the work has been done for you. Save yourslev 100 of hours of greef.
Old 19-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
DavoAust

isn't the KF the same block as the KJ just with a smaller bore? If it is he'd be just taking it up to KJ spec by using the KJ/KL crank.

Anyway if people didn't play with engines there'd be no modified cars
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 19-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinncinatus View Post
That doesn't sound like a good idea. Theres a certain ratio between bore and stroke that you shouldn't fu*k with. It took millions of hours of R & D to achieve it so your boring out the cylindar to some random configuration of stroke length to bore width sounds like you'll be doing more harm then good.

Just transplant a bigger engine where all the work has been done for you. Save yourslev 100 of hours of greef.

hmmm funny - well have you ever done a V8 or big six

I think the most obvious is HSV's 5.7L in plain 195KW and 210Kw and BLUE PRINT 230KW

Note all them are factroy cars using - AFTERMARKET PARTS - SAY WHAT !

Yes the Cranks in them are AFTERMARKET C.O.M.E.Cranks. It strokes them out ot 350 a bit of bore work goes 355 and so on. What about 383 cranks or in ford 400CI crank etc the list goes on.

It's why back in the day when they were stolen the motors were STRIPPED and blocks left. so one went around building a new 5.7L for there Holden but used a 308 or 304 block and you saved a minter on parts.

Car makers - do it with reason behind it, the irony being they also know when to go back. My fav is Drop the v6 K series - lets go back what worked - F2 worked in the US . So the new MZR 2.3L - Irony or just sales advantage. has the same bore and stroke as the old 2.2L SOHC 12 valve - bar .5mm to make it slighlty larger.
They made a detuned version and tuned version - much like the turbo version in the late 80's had ability to tune it self for low grade fuel and hi grade fuel.
The F2 was developed for unleaded fuel -
the MZR was developed for new emissions -

Remove the restrictions and what then, they go with what sells

So I say build that 2.3L V6 - in fact Go bigger - why not.
I'd still lvoe to supercharge a KL or KF in something small but like mazda 121 metro
Old 19-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
ride on davo!!!

we are automotive enthusiasts...we are here to modify...here to make mistakes...and here to make new means in the automotive world!!!
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Well punters it's a KF and whilst I knew it had blown a cam belt I had no idea why until today.
It looks like the exhaust cam on the RHS bank siezed causing the belt to break. Oh well, off to yahoo japan to look for a set of cams.
Why did it sieze, probably lack of oil as there is an oily mess around the front crank seal. Tomorrow I'll be taking a peek in the sump. Be afraid - very afraid.
Old 22-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #17
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
might pop over for a squizz!
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Doh!!! That sounds like a present you don't want to open.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #19
DavoAust

sounds like fun photos?

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 23-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #20
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Doh!!! That sounds like a present you don't want to open.
but that's fun part.

it's like gambling you never know what might happen other then loose money