Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #21
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1mo View Post
as of 1/01/07 NT now has had speed limits 140kmh on highways
i thought that was a recomendation rather then a a limit?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #22
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
nah it is law now. i remeber seeing it on the news on the 2nd of jan this year. there were lots of annoyed people.
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #23
FEM

Car: Familia/Astina GTX
Send a message via MSN to FEM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1mo View Post
ahh its tassie comonnn. the judge and defendant will realise theyre both eachothers uncles and it will all be settled over a keg of cascade. :P
HAHAHAHAH, so truuuue!

137 isnt that fast guys.... i know of lots of 50 zones where 150+ is "safe"

My Story.. http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=394[/CENTER]
FEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #24
SehnKhan

Car: .
No such thing as safe 150 in a 50 zone.

It's 50 for a reason, whether it's pedestrian traffic in the area, size of the road, black spots, accident zones, residential, industrial... the list goes on. At 150, that small child running onto the road is just a blur. That animal you strike is just a blur. That lifted drain cover that you hit and unsettle the car dramatically is just a blur.

No such thing as safe 150 in a 50 zone, that's just plain irresponsible.

Save that kind of thing for the track. It'll cost you less then the fine. And you'll be less likely to kill someone else.
SehnKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #25
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
actually if any of you know or knew the road - you would say it's safer on one section but not in another but at the end of the day it's not safe.

Not such thing as safe speeding they say, yet be realistic - everybody just about does speed. except in QLD where they sit on the speed limit in Right hand Lane down a 5 lane highway, AND THEY WONDER WHY THE REST OF THE COUNTRY CALLS THEM SLOW

Facts are the person was speeding. From what I heard as well it was BA hatch- if that's true well? I know of few in my area but I don't know if they would be on here.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #26
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
s**t happens.

he did the crime,

he will pay the fine. and lose his licence etc, etc

there is too many variables, every situation is unique, hence no one can say whether something is safe or unsafe.

driving in general is unsafe, everytime we get in a car we are taking on a certain amount of risk that comes with it. The way we drive and the speed we do together with the circumstnace will alter that risk factor.

hence: driver, car, road, time, surrounding etc all play a factor.

im guilty of doing slightly incorrect things, but at the time as well as now it doesn't seem as great a risk as it sounds, why?

because of the unique circumstance.

this post will be crusified because we are all goodie goodies when someone else doesn't do the right thing. I say no one is perfect, therefore we have no right to judge.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Last edited by RedLineResident; 03-12-2007 at 05:37 PM.
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #27
Putonyourshoes

Car: 2L 96 BA hatch
theres only one place to do those sorts of speeds.. on the track..
i would rather spend 100 bucks on a track day then the rest of my life miserable for killing someone..
there is no safe place to speed.. there are speed limits for a reason
Putonyourshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #28
GISS-90BG

Car: 1990 BG Astina
I dunno, speeding is so circumstantial. I'm sure theres times that most, if not all, of you have exceeded the speed limit and would swear that it was in not overly unsafe, compared with the suggested speed anyway.

I spose the point is, going faster is MORE dangerous. Regardless of whether its 1kmph over, or 100. Fact is, you take longer to stop, cover more ground before you react and handling is worse. Just have to really think about the risks involved and whether its worth it. 9/10 times, it's not.

But yeah, 137 in a 50 is pretty ludicrous. Especially if there was giveways on that road. Even though its your right of way, at almost 3x the speed limit, it completely throws the judgment of drivers crossing the giveways.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #29
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
i resent the QLD drivers are slow cheap shot, just cause we aren't crazy like you lots from below the border doesn't mean we're slow. anyone who knows the gateway can attest to the nutters that speed down it..
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:43 AM   #30
mill_mobile

Car: 98 BJ
Send a message via MSN to mill_mobile
I admit to going a stupid speed in a 50 zone, not 3x the limit though (no where near that)... it felt rather unsafe and i will never do it again - i have no idea why i did it - nothing happened thankfully but i would not risk it again.
I response to the 'everyone speeds' comments - i dont speed at all (anymore) - it took me too long to get my licence and i dont plan on losing it anytime soon - living without it would be impossible/depressing to me as i couldnt go to the beach and couldnt be independant - it would suck hardcore.
J

Last edited by mill_mobile; 03-12-2007 at 08:35 AM.
mill_mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:58 AM   #31
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

theres a very good reason why you shouldn't be doing 150 in a 50 zone! I can sooner condone and very easily forgive someone doing 200 on a highway with NO SIDE ROADS only on and off ramps in the middle of the night with no taffic.

And theres the crux, it might seem like a good surface, long straight "safe" road, but if it's 50 then there are side streets. I'll grant that at every interesection it's your right of way, but at such speeds it doesn't matter, the person cutting you off will never see you coming, and if he does, he'll go anyway seeing as you are so far off, he's an old fart and can't judge speed at such distances or one of thousands of women whom blaze through give way/stops signs every day.

So in a 50 zone, go 50, maybe 60, but damn it, not 130+. Bloody idiot.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:05 AM   #32
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLineResident View Post
s**t happens.

he did the crime,

he will pay the fine. and lose his licence etc, etc

there is too many variables, every situation is unique, hence no one can say whether something is safe or unsafe.

driving in general is unsafe, everytime we get in a car we are taking on a certain amount of risk that comes with it. The way we drive and the speed we do together with the circumstnace will alter that risk factor.

hence: driver, car, road, time, surrounding etc all play a factor.

im guilty of doing worse than that poor kid, but at the time as well as now it doesn't seem as great a risk as it sounds, why?

because of the unique circumstance.

this post will be crusified because we are all goodie goodies when someone else doesn't do the right thing. I say no one is perfect, therefore we have no right to judge.

Buddy, you might notice that not many people around here admit to too many infringments even though most of us have done 'em,

Reason being, how hard do you think it is for cops or insurance company reps to find these web pages, see your posts and find out who you are?!?

Very very stupid, and just so you know, it's completly admissible in court. Maybe ask the mod to remove your post or you edit all the silly admissions out of it.
Lest the Crucifixion come from a truly unwanted source.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #33
RedLineResident

yeah i know, but i could be trying to make a point and not really have done anything. in which case neither you ro the cops can know if this is true,

i may just be trying so sound cool, again no way of knowing.

so i have given no specifics, like road, time and speed.
and at the end of the day it may be true and i may be full of it. hence ive admited to nothing in particular, no one should have a leg to stand on against me

Old 03-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #34
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
thats not what he is saying...you writin it in words...it can be used against you in court......
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #35
RedLineResident

is that right...?

i wouldn't have thought that something like that could be taken as serious evidence.

seeing as how it is not a signed confession and there is absolutelly nothing physical to back it up, it kinda doesn't make sense. It is basically an aligation which i can turn around to and say, "well that was a brag, or i was tryin to change the flow of the conversation by trying not single out the poor p-plater. the guy would be hating it enough as is, no need for all of us to sort of bag him more. I can see my self being in his shoes and i would hate to be alone, you need someone to stand on your side" - and that is actually the dead set truth.

at the end of the day its the truth.

i mean we've all admited to speeding on these forums at one point or another, does that mean we will get a random speeding fine for havin said that? There is no grounds on which i can see it proven.

Espcially seeing how it was a false statement anyways

Old 03-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #36
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

no were not sayin that at all...
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #37
RedLineResident

i know man, but do you understand where im coming from?

It seems so hard to prove someting like this. and if it is to prove it just by saying, well you posted that on a car forum,

well honestly i think thats pretty crap, and that is some sad police work. I have respect for what cops do and all of that but if they really do hold people responsible on what tehy post on car forums, i find that a bit low and not really substantial enough to be able to hold someone responsible with.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #38
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

i bet you havnt heard the court case were a guy in court was in there on a murder case who was innocent...he was sayin these words in the terms of asking a question... I KILLED HIM? I KILLED HIM? (like ie. you think i killed him?) and it was done on the whole script of everythin that gets said at court...and then the jury in the back room went through and re-read the script and he was found guilty of it cause there is no feeling or mood or expression on word on paper...

and in this case...word on internet and forums...
Old 03-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #39
RedLineResident

well obviously not...

weirder things have happened i guess.

poor guy.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #40
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
redline, as long as you have written it its admissiable in court as evidence, i can't remember what its called but they would use it if you had been charged with speeding or similar to try to show that you had previously done it and had no regard for speed limits etc.

don't forget that cops can trump up charges that are ridiculous, such as the ones against a QLD member which just weren't even possible in his car yet he lost his license..
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote