Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
afx31

Car: Mazda 323 Sp20 (2001)
Will's SP20 V3

Howdy all, I'm Will whose been around the SP20 scene since 2013, now onto my 3rd SP20. My first SP20 was the first car I modified which kinda made the SP20 chassis very special to me. Had so much fun driving it with so many plans for the 'build' however I ended up selling it as I wanted to start racing on the track, and I felt the modifications on the market & the chassis wern't good enough to fulfil my needs for a track car.

My second SP20 was black as a friend had one slammed with black wheels which I liked the look of, so I decided to go upon doing my own. After a month or so of owning it and installing new coilovers, I was rear ended at a stop sign by someone on their phone. The car was giving back to me with a payout, and it stayed registered due to it being worthless to write off? I ended up selling it for cheap to a mate as I lost interest. It wasn't the best chassis either.

After owning some other dailies, I started to miss my first SP20, it had all the features which I feel is required for the 'ideal' daily. Hatchback, reliable, comfy, cruisy, airbags, ABS and still fun to drive. And here we are, another silver SP20 which I will return to what my first one was, and strive for everything else I wanted my first one to be.

I've decided I will not rush this car, always putting maintenance before mods. Another thing is I really hope this doesn't get hit.. If it does I do plan to repair the body if it's not at the write off stage.. Recent thoughts have been in the future I may upgrade to a newer daily and actually keep this SP20 as a side project, as I really do want to turbo one!

Let the fun and games begin!
afx31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
afx31

Okay so lets get some photos sorted.. First off some of my first SP20!

And heres the new one!

Very clean for its age, bought it with 1yr rego and 120XXX KM's with all service history. Only 2 things were 'bad', all pads were on the edge of needing replacing, and rear rotors were warped.

Another down side, I'd say to the general car person it's bad but I've done panel beating on my other cars so I wouldn't say this is too bad, it has been hit passenger front corner once before, visually from outside you can't tell anything, but inside the engine bay the metal has been repaired but could be better. Just needs some of the sheet metal straightened out and a small section welded in and it'll be sweet. Going off that area, would of only been a small hit.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
afx31

I am updating this 6 months after purchasing so going to fly through some updates..

I mentioned my 2nd SP20 was a black one I installed coilovers on.. Sold it to a mate who ended up letting it run out of rego as the motor developed signs pointing towards a blown head gasket and he needed it gone, so I bought it back for cheaper than what I sold it for. Plan was move coilovers to my car, keep a few spares like panels, cluster surround (future gauge pod surround) and some other bits..

The next day the coilovers moved into my new one, they are Yellow Speeds.

Before:

After:

Old 06-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
afx31

JDM folding mirrors? Don't mind if I do. Also some Zender Turbos I picked up for one of my other cars, look quite nice against the SP20, shame they are 4x100

Came across someone on instagram who did a LED daytime running light retro fit on their 323 and I felt like giving it a shot. The LED strips are just off of ebay, secured with small clips which were supplied. Some of them I had to double side tape them to the housing as I couldn't utilise the clips on all angles and screw them in. Also blacked out the headlight bezel whilst I was there, standard 'mod' to any 323!

Very happy with how they turned out, I removed the bulb for the factory parkers light, so I can have these on instead as well as the spotlights.

On my firts SP20 I had a bonnet bra which seemed to be only one of a few around. Since selling it I've never seen another sale until now. One popped up in Japan on Yahoo Auctions, I straight away bought it, could not believe it! Upon fitting to the car I noticed on the top side in the middle it comes down more than my last one, I don't mind though. Love it!

Old 06-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
afx31

Could not stand the factory headunit anymore, so out it came and a nice double din went in, got it on sale for $199. Just need to get a reverse camera and we are sweet!

Nice wash to clean her up, she could really use a proper detail, few rough surfaces in the paint here and there. Also I ended up swapping plates with my other car as it's going on historic rego, had these whites plates on my other car since I bought it and became attached to them for no reason at all. However since putting them on my Mazda, I feel the yellow plates look better (especially once I tint the fog lights) so I might look into having these swapped for yellow ones, keeping this number layout.

And up to date with something I started today, masking up a spare dial surround to paint the cluster rings silver. I love the factory ones from the states (are they factory) however after observing photos it seems if you paint the rings on the stock SP20 one it'll be very similar.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
Jazzy

Car: BJII SP20 Astina 5spd
The new SP20 looks cleeen! Nice pick up. Sux that it has had a hit.

That suspension is L.O.W.: eek: What coil overs you got and how's the ride?
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
afx31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
The new SP20 looks cleeen! Nice pick up. Sux that it has had a hit.

That suspension is L.O.W.: eek: What coil overs you got and how's the ride?
Thanks!! Yeah it looks very low however it rarely scrapes.

I'm running Yellow Speed coilovers, bought them from MX-5 Mania!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Clean323

Car: Mazda 323 astina sp20 Hatch
Hey guys!
I have a silver SP20 too! I love her so much!
and i'm slowly modifying it, currently have pacemaker headers, CSA rims, pioneer headunit, JVC speakers cold air intake weather shields ect. now my question is what else do you guys recommend to make this thing pop!

ps how do i start my own post?

thanks! Joseph, Melb
Clean323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
When I fitted jdm folding side mirrors I had to run yellow and white wires between the A pillar door plugs as they weren't there on my 1.8 protege, wires were present inside the doors and from memory I had to de-pin and swap the molded plugs as fitment was different, simple job though.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #10
afx31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM323 View Post
When I fitted jdm folding side mirrors I had to run yellow and white wires between the A pillar door plugs as they weren't there on my 1.8 protege, wires were present inside the doors and from memory I had to de-pin and swap the molded plugs as fitment was different, simple job though.
Yeah I had to run the 2 wires across as well, wasn't hard to do. I was thinking about wiring it up to the door lock so when unlocking/locking the car they would unfold/fold as well, however felt this might get annoying