Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Adamo

Car: Ford Laser 1.6L KQ
KQ laser 1.6L engine problems

Hey guys,

My cars timing/idling does not sound right when coming to a stop (this only once a day on average). It sounds like the engine wants to stall. Usually to fix this I push the throttle and it becomes good again, however on the odd occasion it remains in this state for around a good minute or so. When i need to accelerate at the lights there is hardly any power to the front wheels. The engine sounds deeper and is lacking.

I have taken it to a service centre and they have completed a check on all the sensors and for any fault codes and unfortunately they have been unable to replicate the problem after taking it for a few test drives. They have done a clean out of the throttle body and cleaned out the air flow metre.

I have taken it back to the service after they did not resolve the problem and they are now telling me one of the injector leads is split causing arching when its not meant to. I can replace the leads myself instead of them charging me $300+, but is this the actual cause of my problem?

If you need any more information I can provide it.

I just need an honest response....

Also, anyone have a guide on replacing the leads..or is this something simple as using pliers and unplugging old and plugging in new, without removing other engine components?
Adamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
TheMAN

Car: .
if the high tension leads are bad, then there will be arcing and cause the symptoms you described

however, another common problem with these engines is the MAF... they are rubbish due to a poor design... only way to truely fix it is to buy a new MAF or find a 2nd hand one off a newer mazda, such as a mazda3... it's compatible and is the "same", yet redesigned

the idle valve can get dirty over time, but that's unlikely the case... cleaning the throttle body does not clean the idle valve as it is just an attached piece and you won't be really cleaning it without removing the part