Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 31-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
2 subs with different frequencies

hey, i'm currently going over the audio upgrade stage of the car before i really look at the engine/exterior.

my main objective is to have good sounding system and then move onto other areas. so far the car has some ok clarion splits in the front and kenwood 6x9's in the back, with a 2ch kenwood amp running the fronts.

i'm looking at subs/amps, as the current setup is not really cutting it in terms of bass. what i'm after is very punchy bass, not ground shaking. i'm looking at using a 2 sub setup with smallish (9-10") subs in ported boxes turned for different frequencies so that the system performs well throughout the low frequency range. my mate does a lot of sound engineering and can help me tune it and we'd be making a custom box to house the subs so they each have their own airspace. has anyone got any experience with using 2 differently tuned subs? does it create any issues?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #2
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

Car: '96 Mazda Hardtop 323 Beast-Version
Lol. Well for starters, you do not need two subs

And if you did - you wouldn't need to tune them for different frequencies. Sound is a wave - and if they aren't running at the same frequencies the would interact and begin to corrode each others sound. And thats what your other speakers are for anyway Most subs nowadays are more than capable of going across a large frequency range. Too large even - which is why you use a LP filter to 'filter' out desired frequencies.

If you want LOUD then you will need to add more subs to suit, but the more subs you get the more amps you will need to power them. And since you want a nice 'Punch' it would be easier to purchase a nice sub and have adequate power to be able to make it 'punch' to your tastes. The better amp - the better/more options you will recieve with tuning abilitys.

It will sound better to have one sub by itself in the center of your car - then two.

You can get PLENTY enough bass out of one sub, and still be ground-shaking.

The problem with 2 subs is you would be more likely to try and budget (correct me if I'm wrong) and therefore get cheaper amps - or just use one for two subs. And simply it won't be as good as if you get a nicer sub and amp together.
---------------------------------------------------

In my system (also a Hardtop ) I run a single 12" sub (500RMS) off a 1000watt amp, centered in the middle of the car - facing towards the cabin.

Sounds soooooooooooo good. Definatly the best part of my system. I have tuned it so that the Bass appears to be coming from infront of you - instead of behind. And the bass is a massive bass and not a drone or anything like that. It goes veeeeeeeeeeeeerrrry loud too.

Go ported though - you get get more punch than doof

My front stage requires some work though

Heb

Tha Hardtop Beast -- Gallery
Hebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
definatly dont tune them at different frequencies...you most likely wont be happy with the out come... with bass you want it to let you hear the timing beat...you dont wanna hear several beats in a few milly seconds...will sound **** house...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
The frequency range of a sub is fairly small.
They tend to best perform from about 20hz to 80hz

To get 2 subs to cover that is possible but not reasonable - you just dont need to.

For punchy bass stick to 1 sub. a single 10" is a well made box is usually ok for those that dont want to shake the earth.

With 2 subs the sound is typically less clear ( resulting in less 'punch' ) because of the tiny offset between the movement of the 2 speakers.

Also, I'd go a sealed box not ported if you want strong, clear punchy bass. Ports make it loud, but tend to 'blur' the sound
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
lol hebz suggest ported, dogo sealed

this is the problem, so much conflicting advice. i after reading your comments i'm thinking the smaller sub (10") in a good box with quality amp will give me what i want. like i said, dont want to shake the earth, just want some decent bass with good quality
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogo View Post
The frequency range of a sub is fairly small.
They tend to best perform from about 20hz to 80hz
Really? I thought they had a large coverage. I agree they perform best at a small select frequency though
Quote:
To get 2 subs to cover that is possible but not reasonable - you just dont need to.

For punchy bass stick to 1 sub. a single 10" is a well made box is usually ok for those that dont want to shake the earth.

With 2 subs the sound is typically less clear ( resulting in less 'punch' ) because of the tiny offset between the movement of the 2 speakers.
Woot, I was right

Quote:
Also, I'd go a sealed box not ported if you want strong, clear punchy bass. Ports make it loud, but tend to 'blur' the sound
Ah, cool. I always just thought that ports allowed for the sub to go louder - while not losing any quality. Learn something new everyday

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoAust View Post
lol hebz suggest ported, dogo sealed

this is the problem, so much conflicting advice. i after reading your comments i'm thinking the smaller sub (10") in a good box with quality amp will give me what i want. like i said, dont want to shake the earth, just want some decent bass with good quality
Dogo knows much more about car audio than me So go sealed, I guess I learnt something (and will be keeping my sealed box too apparently) However, the main advice is still fairly strong - get a 10" and only get one - tune it nicly and it will sound great

Heb

Last edited by Hebz; 01-08-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
i spose it all comes down to personsal opinion and unfortunately we dont all have millions of dollars to buy and test millions of types of equipment...i have a good powerplant sub in a sealed box and it sounds greta for my tastes...but i have my gain way down low because my Soundstream 6x9's are also very clear for mid frequecies....

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
Bear

Car: 2007 True Red Mazda 3 MPS
Quote:
can't agree more ... now ... let's see if I can remember this one properly ...

one way to think about it is that, everytime the speaker is punched, the surface bounces like a trampoline ... you then tune the size of the box to provide a resonance chamber of the correct size for the performance, size, and material of the cone ...

now, if you run a ported box, you will be relying on tuning the size and length of the port to suit the harmonic frequency of the sub to promote production of the best sound pressure waves ... but the unfortunate side effect is that there's nothing to stop the sub cone from springing back and forth uncontrollably except the signal from the amp

now if you run a sealed box, the air under the speaker acts like a shock absorber and it helps stop the cone flapping about and makes for a far crisper, punchier sound ... but the trade off is that it's not quite as loud ...

so it all boils down to boomy or punchy ...

"It's a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I just beat people up" - Muhammad Ali
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
Dogo

this "guide to bass" on MEA is a good read.

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...howtopic=58374

The sub in the photo looks to be the same as the one I have

Ported is definitely capable of punchy bass but the box need to be designed and built very carefully.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
DarkMaTTer

Car: Astina
So are shallow type subs any good? I am reading all of this and liking the sound of getting a sub instead of what I had previously (6x9s on the parcel shelf - sounded great, but the sound certainly felt like it was coming from the rear, unless I had the rear quite faded), but I also like my boot space (use it to go to the shops etc ), so don't want to take up too much space.

Speaking of I gather if my boot is full thats going to obviously affect the bass yeah?
DarkMaTTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
Dogo

The QMax subs are supposed to be good
http://www.qmax.com.au/

And will fit under your seat

I haven't used or heard a slim sub myself to give an accurate review, but for your average person I expect they would be fine.

They won't give a huge boom that you can hear from down the street , but should give the extra bass to make your music sound good.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
DarkMaTTer

Quote:
The QMax subs are supposed to be good
http://www.qmax.com.au/

And will fit under your seat

I haven't used or heard a slim sub myself to give an accurate review, but for your average person I expect they would be fine.

They won't give a huge boom that you can hear from down the street , but should give the extra bass to make your music sound good.
Cool, yeah was looking at the pioneer shallow-type subwoofers, which seem to have good reviews from everybody that I have seen so far. So just wacking these under the front seat wouldn't be a problem? Of course could be an interesting experience for anyone sitting in the passenger seat lol. Maybe still have it in the back and just make it removable enough. sorry thinking aloud

And not hearing a huge boom from down the street is fine by me

O and thanks Dogo

Last edited by DarkMaTTer; 02-08-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #13
Dogo

oh by the way I should say that it *should* fit under your seat , not will

Do make sure you check the measurements !
Old 02-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
DarkMaTTer

Quote:
oh by the way I should say that it *should* fit under your seat , not will

Do make sure you check the measurements !
Yeah don't worry - will check and double check everything this time. Better that than being left with a gaping hole in your door like I was when I first installed speakers into my BG (many many years ago ) and forgot about the window winders
Old 03-08-2007, 04:34 AM   #15
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

MEA always have such great threads with sooo much info.

Under seat woofers provide nice massasgers

Feeling the bass is so much more fun than hearing it sometimes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic, Davo - have you made any descisions/thoughts about what you are going to go for?

Heb