Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Technology + Gaming

Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #41
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
upgrade comes available 17th june apparently...
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #42
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
haha whoops yep 26th of june my bad what u mean dogo the os upgrades for iphones were allways free :S and yes the upgrade comes out b4 the phone as what mark said cant wait
Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #43
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
I believe you had to pay to upgrade from OS 1 to OS 2 on the iPhone.

And you have to pay to upgrade the Mac operating system too ( 10.1 , 10.2, 10.3 etc ). They haven't released the price for the latest upgrade from version 10.5 to 10.6 ( "Leopard" to "Snow Leopard" ) but rumors vary between $30 - $100.

This is especially sneaky, remembering the bulk of Mac OS is taken from the open source community
Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #44
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

oh damn i didnt know that
i upgraded myn but it was from 2 to 2.2 or 2.3 and it was free but i dont lknow bout 1 to 2
Old 12-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #45
Frankie17

Car: SP20
What I read somewhere was that for iphones the upgrade will be free via itunes, but for the unlucky itouch users it wont be. They will have to pay for their OS upgrade.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #46
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

the OS3 has no real benifits to itouch users its basic stuff the phone should of had from the get go main things are cut copy and paste, mms etc all phone related.. its really playing catchup to rest of phones in those terms, my old samsung u700 had those things, as well as a beter camera and video. the main selling point for all iphones was the accelerometers, touch capabilities and massive screen when it comes right down to it as a phone it lacks so so much, but as i said b4 its a "smart" phone + a awesome mp3 player all in one that was the selling point for me
also new one will have 32gb max rather than current 16gb. i dont understand whats stoping them from going larger with memory there are some massive generic flash drives out there so what would be stopping apple of putting a better memory in to theirs. also im really disapointed with the "new" 3mp camera.. wtf again my old samsung had a 3.2 and thats a 3yo phone now almost.. like the samsungs omnia 5mp camera is great BUT the os on the phone is SOOO slow. all my gfs family has it and its SO slow like take a photo wait wait wait oh there it is. load a song wait wait there it is.. iphone is a lot faster so many good and bad points
Old 12-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #47
Rix

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Ba
Send a message via MSN to Rix
Lol in reality Mac OSX is a glorified version of Linux, as it runs of the same UNIX source code its just been modified to only work on specified hardware (well not anymore since Hackintosh)
Old 13-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #48
Dogo

Actually its BSD ( Darwin ) not Unix. They're different.

And the OS is so far beyond XWindows ( what you get on Linux ) that it would be like comparing an Astina to a Formula 1 racer
Old 13-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #49
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogo View Post

And the OS is so far beyond XWindows ( what you get on Linux ) that it would be like comparing an Astina to a Formula 1 racer
i do that all the time
Old 14-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #50
Dogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogo View Post

srry - that was such a smartarse Nerd thing to say
Old 14-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #51
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
IPhones are gay....they dont even have bluetooth

Wait until the new one comes out, it does have heeas of new features...even bluetooth

Personally I hate everything Apple, Ive had bad experience with customer support, warranty on all 3 ipods Ive had...never again...

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #52
Dogo

my iphone has bluetooth ...
Old 14-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #53
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

so does myn..
i think what your referning to was the OS1.X that didnt have stereo bluetooth, for for music, but it did have it for calls, but they enabled it in OS2.x onwards..
Old 18-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #54
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

ok so OS3 is out... yaaay its got cut copy andpaste, which is usefull, a voice recorder, also sort of usefull and uuum mms.. thing is its confusing, there is no sms and mms there is just msg, and you send and now im not sure if optus is gonna charge for each psg sent as mms or is this "smart" phone truly smart and will send msgs without attachments as standard sms. guess i will have to wait untill tomorow when my usage charges will popup online to c if i should disable the option haha.. kinda sux, its still not that great as a phone, the camera still sux and it still cant take videos.... (v3 razor can take vids and its like 5 years old.. frustrating, no?)
just disapointing really cus most ppl with these phones have waited sooo long for the update to get released, the update that should not have been a update but a original feature, and all this builtup excitment didnt lead anywhere as its still not that great.. if you have a mp3 player already, dont get a iphone, even the new iphone s is not on par with nokias or samsungs that are being released right now, touch screen and accelerometer are only so great i think that apple tried so hard to make something that has everything, and due to restrictions (cheapness IMO) they fail miserably in soooo many accounts
coverage - still not that great, sitting next to my gf with her u700 she gets full bars i get 75% -1
video - cant take it and it cant paly it unless its mp4... who da hell has that many movies in mp4?!? -1
internet - ok so this is a good point +1
accelerometer - this is a good point too +1
ipod - still the best mp3 player thats integrated in to a phone iv seen +1
gps - handy but maps need internet, google for some reason does not want to cachee +-0
touchscreen - this is purely personal preferance. i like it cus there is no keyboard and there is just a massive screen, but it can be anoying +-0
ringtones - no such thing as free costumisable ringtones that are legal so this is a -1

so all in all its average, if i had a choice RIGHT NOW and wasnt tied to a contract, id get the samsung ultra touch..

Tony

Last edited by 70NYD; 18-06-2009 at 09:27 AM.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #55
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
There is Tomtom hardware and software coming which is appealing. I don't understand why you can use songs on it as ringtones like every other phone has for ages.

Or can you?
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #56
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

cus of DMR, apple has taken it upon them selfs to stand out as the shiny knight and protect the music artist everywhere... LOL sorry but it just pisses me off.. im seriusly considering looking in to jailbraking.. u can use normal songs as ringtones, but you have to pay a nominal fee for each song you use, someting like 0.99, because ringtoens are stored in a different folder within the device, and are not accesible to cut copy paste from the phone, but rather from itunes, which makes you pay to convert a song in to a m3u file which is the ringtone... im suprised they haven started charging for every time the song is played as a ringtone.. there is also a heap of very good apps you can buy, but all the best ones were not allowedm so they can be obtained after jailbreaking as well. as far as it goes, its not that costumisable as standard
Old 19-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #57
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
a few of my friends got iPhones, never seen the appeal personally. I prefer to have a phone that works as a phone (i have the sony C902, 5MP camera and autofocus) and a mp3 player separate. that way if i want to listen to music i dont chew battery life up on my phone (1 week heavy use), get a good camera and its smaller and as slim

no hassle having both and i don't see the real advantage of having apps (other than email) on my phone, other than the obvious wank appeal

EDIT: have they managed to jailbreak OS3 yet tony?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #58
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

they jailbreaked OS3 months ago when the 1st beta came out, then again the 2nd and 3rd and so on but never released to public cus they didnt want apple to patch it.. i havnt checked but yesterday when os3 came out the release jailbreak wasnt available yet, perhaps they need to modify it a little bit.. ultrasn0w is set to come out this week as well, or early next week, or so iv heard
Old 20-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #59
Rix

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Ba
Send a message via MSN to Rix
Lol the iPhone is still better than my ****ty Nokia n70 although mine came with mms standard aswell and things like video recording
Old 20-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #60
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
yeah suposed to be 26th of june...but with 3 its in july...i dont no if i should get the iphone or the nokia 5800 express...im a nokia fan boy so i dont no...and im due for a new phone...was gonna try get one this week but just heard about the iphone and was like HMMMM!!!
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote