Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 14-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #21
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFo
I'm keen for one for the BG!
BG is a way off...

need an almost stock BG to play with first =)

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #22
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
well dont really need a stock one, just one with stock stuff. what we need more is time
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #23
LordWorm

Yeh time is a killer

to give an idea... It took roughly 2 hours with the BA to work out stuff.....overcome any potential issues and build a rough...

Then theres the computerisation of the design, getting the angles worked out so they are standard/common angles that are easy for manufacturers to create (which keeps the cost down)..then theres finding people to produce them for us en masse

its a reasonably lengthy process...however once we've nailed the BA intake, it should be alot quicker...Theres no reason why it cant go from concept to production in the space of 2 weeks, IF everything goes to plan (which it almost certainly never does!)

Said stock...meant stockish...need one that hasnt had the intake touched *at all* so we can take photos for the manual more or less.

Old 21-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #24
LordWorm

Ok...Finally some news!

We've found a place that can do our prototype up in mild steel. I'm calling them thisarvo to see when they can fit us in as their machine needs special tooling in order to bend at our required radius. Hopefully they can have this sorted for us by the weekend, but we'll see.

We've also contacted a place in sydney who will be producing the final products in aluminium. Good news is that if we can get them bent in bulk lots of 10 or more, they can come in on our budgeted price per unit which is fantastic!.

OTHER GOOD NEWS
We should be able to do the BJ CAI *AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!*... the BJ CAI will be more or less an injen copy with a few minor tweaks and improvements, namely having a relocated PCV bung and a full aluminium run upto the throttlebody (instead of the final bend being rubber) - Again, all reducers and collars will be high quality silicon hose, and clamps and a filter will be provided.

So this is very good =).... things are slowly happening. Expect a final price in the next couple of weeks.

Old 21-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #25
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
With that final bend being solid will there be enough give for engine movement?

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #26
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipa
With that final bend being solid will there be enough give for engine movement?
Silicon reducer connects it to the TB, rubber grommets through oversized holes on the mounting brackets.

Should be ample movement.

Old 21-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #27
LordWorm

TENTATIVE PRICES

We've done some final bits of running around to get you a tentative price. It is subject to change, but should only change in the vacinity of $5 to $10 either way.

Price is, at this stage, the same for the BJ as it will be for the BA. The BJ will have slightly more aluminium in it so we are awaiting final confirmation on the price for this, but its the bends you pay for not the length usually, and there are the same number of bends in both intakes.

Heres what you get:
  • Mandrel Bent Upper and Lower Pipes (no joints/welds) 2.75in
  • Welded in PCV bung (reuse existing/stock PCV pipe)
  • 2 x 1.5in wide 2.75in high quality silicon collars
  • 1 x 2.75in to 2.5in straight silicon reducer
  • 6 worm drive clamps
  • K&N Angled Pod Filter
  • Welded Mounting Backet (welded to lower pipe)
  • Grommets and bolts for mounting
  • Instructions

I think thats it

The entire thing is made out of 6061 aluminium, with 6060 aluminium bracket and bung.

Unit comes "unfinished".. I.e. not painted or powder coated. We are currently looking at powdercoating options.

and the all important cost: at this stage, both BJ and BA you are looking at $360.00 plus P&H. Pickup will be available in the Brisbane area.

Not asking for money or anything right now (obviously). But given that price can we start getting some firm interest?

Please add your name to the list below along with the car you want it for.

etc

Thanks

Old 22-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #28
Pork Chop Express

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
TENTATIVE PRICES

We've done some final bits of running around to get you a tentative price. It is subject to change, but should only change in the vacinity of $5 to $10 either way.

Price is, at this stage, the same for the BJ as it will be for the BA. The BJ will have slightly more aluminium in it so we are awaiting final confirmation on the price for this, but its the bends you pay for not the length usually, and there are the same number of bends in both intakes.

Heres what you get:
  • Mandrel Bent Upper and Lower Pipes (no joints/welds) 2.75in
  • Welded in PCV bung (reuse existing/stock PCV pipe)
  • 2 x 1.5in wide 2.75in high quality silicon collars
  • 1 x 2.75in to 2.5in straight silicon reducer
  • 6 worm drive clamps
  • K&N Angled Pod Filter
  • Welded Mounting Backet (welded to lower pipe)
  • Grommets and bolts for mounting
  • Instructions

I think thats it

The entire thing is made out of 6061 aluminium, with 6060 aluminium bracket and bung.

Unit comes "unfinished".. I.e. not painted or powder coated. We are currently looking at powdercoating options.

and the all important cost: at this stage, both BJ and BA you are looking at $360.00 plus P&H. Pickup will be available in the Brisbane area.

Not asking for money or anything right now (obviously). But given that price can we start getting some firm interest?

Please add your name to the list below along with the car you want it for.

etc

Thanks
1. Pork Chop Express
Old 22-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #29
Pork Chop Express

I've essentially got a stock 1.8L BA engine. Would the CAI stuff up my car in any way at all?

I guess I'm trying to establish if this is a good thing to put in or not in the long run. Obviously a power boost will result, but would the CAI damage anything else in the car other than extra wear and tear I might give the car from increased thrashing? For instance, will the increased amount of cold air stuff up the engine (as engines aren't designed to run on really cold air, right?)?

Also, my car has been lowered. In Melbourne it can rain at a moment's notice and the road network isn't too good in water drainage. That being the case, my car does go through a few puddles - will water in the filter kill it? I go to the snow every year for long periods - will the SUPER DOOPER cold air kill my car?

The only reason I ask is because my mechanic gave me like a 15min lecture on why I shouldn't do anything to the engine or mechanics of my car.

"... The manufacturers designed the car and the components to work perfectly with each other... As soon as you start fiddling around with one or two components, the other things become imbalanced and could wear out quicker..."

Is the CAI only useful for take-off and low speeds, and not at high speeds? Beneficial at take-off and low speed as it provides more air into the engine, but not so beneficial (negative effect even) at high speed because the air's already being supplied?

Sorry for the long thread. I'm just want to do something to my car so I stop myself from buying a NEW car.

Last edited by Pork Chop Express; 22-06-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Pork Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #30
LordWorm

Wow lots of stuff, i'll do my best to answer everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chop Express
I've essentially got a stock 1.8L BA engine. Would the CAI stuff up my car in any way at all?
It'll increase intake noise...but thats about the only "negative" I can think of. Pod is breathing air from outside the car so its as "clean" as the air your car normally breathes (infact, the pod sits more or less where the air comes in now)
Quote:
I guess I'm trying to establish if this is a good thing to put in or not in the long run. Obviously a power boost will result, but would the CAI damage anything else in the car other than extra wear and tear I might give the car from increased thrashing? For instance, will the increased amount of cold air stuff up the engine (as engines aren't designed to run on really cold air, right?)?
I spose its possible that the dense air producing larger exposions in the engine could reduce the life of some parts ever so slightly...but i'd consider CAI to be a "minor" modification, and would be no worse for your car then say, a sports exhaust. End of the day, if you drive the car sedately, the cold air intake should improve fuel economy and save you money in the long run.
Quote:
Also, my car has been lowered. In Melbourne it can rain at a moment's notice and the road network isn't too good in water drainage. That being the case, my car does go through a few puddles - will water in the filter kill it? I go to the snow every year for long periods - will the SUPER DOOPER cold air kill my car?
IF the pod becomes emersed, there is the chance that a phenomenon known as "hydrolock" could occur, where the car sucks up water instead of air. Tis a bad thing, obviously. We established in another thread that with a little bit of due care (keep your eyes out for puddles, dont drive through them if you can avoid it), you should be right. Hydrolock would only occur if you emmersed the entire pod in water....and given its very well protected by teh front bar on the BA, i would say this minimises risk. If you stopped the car in say, 40cm of water, it'd happen...(i.e. dont do that hehe)
Quote:
The only reason I ask is because my mechanic gave me like a 15min lecture on why I shouldn't do anything to the engine or mechanics of my car.

"... The manufacturers designed the car and the components to work perfectly with each other... As soon as you start fiddling around with one or two components, the other things become imbalanced and could wear out quicker..."
yes some mechanics have a habit of acting like this. No idea why. Have a look around the forum and see, plenty of people mod their cars....and I dont think they are having any more issues than people who don't mod. If you want to do it, you are going to do it....in my opinion, its not upto the mechanic to decide what you do with your car...

Quote:
Is the CAI only useful for take-off and low speeds, and not at high speeds? Beneficial at take-off and low speed as it provides more air into the engine, but not so beneficial (negative effect even) at high speed because the air's already being supplied?
Cold air, and volume of air is always a good thing. The more air your ECU detects flowing in, the more fuel it can add, and the more power it can generate.
Quote:
Sorry for the long thread. I'm just want to do something to my car so I stop myself from buying a NEW car.
Thats fine

Old 22-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #31
Pork Chop Express

Okay Lordworm.......

You've sold me.......

Put me down for the group buy. Depending on how long it takes you to get a group of 10, I'd be okay to be a (first) test case/customer. Obviously my mechanical and car performance knowledge is limited (as per my previous post), but I would be relying on my rev head friends here to install it and provide feedback to me, which I would post.

Last edited by Pork Chop Express; 22-06-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Pork Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #32
LordWorm

Quote:
Okay Lordworm.......

You've sold me.......

Put me down for the group buy. Depending on how long it takes you to get a group of 10, I'd be okay to be a test case. Obviously my mechanical and car performance knowledge is limited (as per my previous post), but I would be relying on my rev head friends here to install it and provide feedback to me, which I would post.
Awesome stuff!

Where abouts you located?

.. The difficulty installing is more the way the front bar is attached - you need to pull the lights out and what not to get at hte screws.... putting the actual CAI in itself involves screwing in a bracket more or less.. we've deliberatly kept it as simple as possible.

Just as soon as we get the final price on a few odds and ends the gb will start.....

Old 22-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #33
Pork Chop Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
Awesome stuff!

Where abouts you located?

.. The difficulty installing is more the way the front bar is attached - you need to pull the lights out and what not to get at hte screws.... putting the actual CAI in itself involves screwing in a bracket more or less.. we've deliberatly kept it as simple as possible.

Just as soon as we get the final price on a few odds and ends the gb will start.....
I'm in Melbourne. It's no biggy for me to pull off the lights and bumper. Done it a few times now (fog lights and then HID kit).
Old 22-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #34
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
1. Pork Chop Express - 1.8 BA
2. Chipa - 2.0 BJ

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #35
LordWorm

Quote:
I'm in Melbourne. It's no biggy for me to pull off the lights and bumper. Done it a few times now (fog lights and then HID kit).
Too easy...

process would basically involve removing all the stock stuff, and replace with 2 pipes held together with silicon collars attached with wormdrive clamps, and attach the thing to the throttlebody with a supplied silicon reducer.

The vast majority of time spent will be spent on actually removing the stocko stuff.... you are putting less back in as you are pulling out.

Instructions complete with photographs will be supplied.

=)

Old 23-06-2006, 12:19 AM   #36
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
hey not sure if uve seen this, but this is from another seller right?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MAZDA-323-95-...QQcmdZViewItem
MAztinA 323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #37
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAztinA 323
hey not sure if uve seen this, but this is from another seller right?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MAZDA-323-95-...QQcmdZViewItem
Judging by the pipe lengths, its either a short ram intake, or drops onto the bottom half of the stock system (so everything north of the MAF is still standard)........

Just doesnt look anywhere near long enough to be a complete cold air....

Old 25-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #38
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
i can organise powdercoating for all the guys in the southern states. worm PM me to discuss

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #39
Ripper323
Carless Bum

Car: whatever I can borrow
in the BJ one where abouts is the pod going to go and where abouts will it suck air from? I've looked for a spot in my car, but without cutting a hole in the structure somewhere, there is nowhere for the piping to go to the front bar?
Old 25-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #40
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
There is hole on the passenger side under/near your radiator overflow bottle is. It's quite ample for an intake, around 3.5" opening straight to the bumper well.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote