Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 10-06-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

Car: 2005 SP23 Hatch
Send a message via MSN to MrShadow
Amps and Speakers

G'day,
This one's for the audio experts. Quite sure it could be done, but just wondering how possible this is:

I'd like to get an amp (JBL <preferred> or Kenwood), and have it driving (to start off with) the 4 speakers I've got (2 x JBL GTO 6x9, 2 x JBL GTO 5x7).
At the moment, the 6x9's (3-way) are in the parcel shelf (go the Hardtop!!) and the 5x7's (2-way) are in the front doors. What I'd like to do (soon), is install two more 5x7's in the rear doors (Apparantly the hardtop has the holes there for speakers, but there's nothing in them. I have heard of some Hardtops that have 4 x 7x5's in the doors though, and nothing in the parcel shelf ?!?!) and drive them from the same amp.
So what I'd have is a 6 speaker system, with 2 rears (the 6x9 3-ways) and 4 fronts (the 4 7x5's in the doors) running off the one amp.
And for those who run their own audio shop business, what model amps would you recommend (JBL preferred)?

Thanks

Confuscias say "man who go to sleep with itchy bottom, wake up with smelly finger"
MrShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

Oh, for those who ahve been asking/wondering, I didn't have enough time last weekend to figure out how the door trim came off so I could install the 5x7's. The bitch of it is, uni exams are starting next week (and we don't get stuvac, f@#ken pissed off about that :x :x ), so I won't have time for some weeks. So, ASAP, it's going into the audio shop for them to be installed. While it's in there, sound-deadening is going in the front doors. woohoo!

Confuscias say "man who go to sleep with itchy bottom, wake up with smelly finger"
Old 11-06-2003, 02:49 AM   #3
CityEnd

Car: .
just to clearify things for the hardtop, the rear door has holes for 6.5" speakers. but r filled in with plastic 'bowls'....

and to remove the door trim, there is 4 screws, 2 in the bin, 1 in the handle area and the last can only be access when the door is open... from there it take a bit of force to losen plastic 'clips' which and remove upwards, and don't forget to unplug the wires.

i can't remember the rear doors, i think there is only one screw in the door handle area, and the rest r the plastic bits
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:37 AM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The only screw in the back door trim is through the ecsunchen plate (the trim behind the door opener thingie). Then gently yet firmly pull the door trim from the bottom (7 clips) and lift up.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:50 PM   #5
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

Thanks for the tips guys.

Quote:
and to remove the door trim, there is 4 screws, 2 in the bin, 1 in the handle area and the last can only be access when the door is open
5 actually, 2 in the bin, 1 in the handle area and 2 accessed when the door is open, I should have more time this weekend to have a look. Damn uni... :x

Old 11-06-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
Critter

Car: SP20
Maybe try running the rear deck speakers off the HU and front and rear door speakers of a 4 channel amp.
Dunno about the JBL amp, but with some 4 c hannels (JL and example) you can run 2 rca's to one pair of inputs, flick a switch and use 4 channels, one to each speaker.
And then have fade between that and HU powered speakers.
Just a thought.....
Adjustable lowered suspension with monster brakes
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote