Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 08-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
Keeping same brake size...
Well thats what i was thinking, i'm merely talking about using the same brake setup, just changing the number of hub studs.. Everyone's saying it would be illegal but rupe seems to think it may be legal?
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
The centers are removable. This will cost 250 ish for the fronts. Then you need a rotor to suit, problem is when mat looked he couldn't get the v6 blanks. So its a dead end. You don't need more cars. You need to save money and fix one...
Old 08-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Didn't the V6 come with RWC? So wheels and tyres are OK for now.
Good chance the V6 has ABS. If it does then removing it will make it illegal, and you pretty stupid.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
The centers are removable. This will cost 250 ish for the fronts. Then you need a rotor to suit, problem is when mat looked he couldn't get the v6 blanks. So its a dead end. You don't need more cars. You need to save money and fix one...
Having the red one fixxed next weekend. Doing it with a friend at his workshop! Didn't know they didnt make v6 blanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
Didn't the V6 come with RWC? So wheels and tyres are OK for now.
Good chance the V6 has ABS. If it does then removing it will make it illegal, and you pretty stupid.
Yes the V6 came with a roadworthy and yes the wheels and tyres are fine now. The idea of the thread was merely to ask if it was legal/possible/safe. I know now that it isn't, i haven't thought about doing something like this before so i thought i'd do the smart thing and ask.

Also why even bother with a comment like that? Keep your negativity to yourself.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #25
ghetto3

Car: 97 ba 1.8 323
Have you had a look at the car? what she asking for it if you dont mind!?

we'd all design a pretty good camel eh!

Not on topic and purely opinion if your after a cruiser get v6 whack on extractors and rims
After power... go bpt
after track car... Itbs bore/compression etc
you gotta love the flow of forums lol sometimes you never get a straight answer- but we all mean well, i think?

Good luck on whatever you decide dude
Sounds like a solid canvas to work with, one owner and all!! Keep us updated.
ghetto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3 View Post
Have you had a look at the car? what she asking for it if you dont mind!?

we'd all design a pretty good camel eh!

Not on topic and purely opinion if your after a cruiser get v6 whack on extractors and rims
After power... go bpt
after track car... Itbs bore/compression etc
you gotta love the flow of forums lol sometimes you never get a straight answer- but we all mean well, i think?

Good luck on whatever you decide dude
Sounds like a solid canvas to work with, one owner and all!! Keep us updated.
Refer to my build thread.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
BG1.8sp

Car: 2009 BL MPS
Using blanks and drilling to specs is fine. (Still a bit of a shady area with "being legal" tho)
But reducing the number of lugs on the hubs from what the car was designed for is still considered illegal.

If the V6 was designed with 5 studs then downgrading to the 4 studs is still "illegal"

You would have to get seriously unlucky to get pinned for it... But yeah, legal... No

Can you do it? Yes... Easily.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #28
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
on the bj the hub center is smaller diameter on the 4 stud than the 5 stud so I would suggest that the same may apply here also
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #29
TheMAN

Car: .
I'm pretty sure it does
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #30
BG1.8sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM323 View Post
on the bj the hub center is smaller diameter on the 4 stud than the 5 stud so I would suggest that the same may apply here also
Nope, it's the same.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #31
BG1.8sp

On the BJ... All you need for a 4-5 stud swap is a wheel bearing, and the 5 stud flange. Same knuckle can still be used, same CV shaft. Rear obviously requires the assembly.

Some things that you need to consider (I'm not familiar with BG and BA really) is the CV shaft spline count.... 4 stud vehicles may run a different spline count to the V6. If you are swapping while hubs.... Lateral link lengths may be different between the i4 and v6

Also... If the V6 has abs, then you want to make sure the rear assemblies used have the abs ring when going to 4 stud.

But that's if you do lol, it's still illegal
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #32
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
V6 is same splines as I4, ABS rings are on the hubs at rear, but driveshafts at front, but using KJ Lynx hubs (4 stud)resolves ABS issue for rears. You could possibly use a 2001 MX5 (270mm) front rotor instead of drilling the v6 blanks, but I think there's some other crap to deal with then. Would have to check hat-heights of the rotors.

At rear you need hub and rotor only as calipers are the same.

But because you've dropped Stud count it requires engineering, and unless you are really convincing your engineer will just laugh in your face...
Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #33
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

It's probably too much trouble to go to. I'll see if i can't find a decent set of rims to swap mine for or sell them for a decent price. I literally fitted new tyres to them 2 days before the clutch went in my car. I drove from the tyre place home, drove down to clean cookies place, home again and once to the shops since the tyres were put on so literally 320km or so, seems a shame but i'd like a nice set of rims on my new car and my wheels only have 4x100 and 4x114.3 stud patterns and considering i have an i4 in the driveway to pull hubs off i thought if it were legal i'd do it, but it seems like alot of stuffing around for something that is A) illegal B) will need engineering & a mod plate C) temporary.

I'll just paint the stock rims till i figure out what rims i want and get them.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
TheMAN

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1.8sp View Post
Nope, it's the same.
not on the BJ it's not
the wheel centre bores of all 4 stud BG, CBA, BHA, and BJ wheels are 54.1mm.... same goes for NA and NB MX-5s, the 121, Metro, Mazda2, MX-3 1.6l, Lasers, etc.

the 5 stud wheels centre bores on the BJ are 67.1mm, which is the same as the 626... I'm pretty sure it's also the case on the FD RX-7, RX-8, Mazda3/5/6, CX-7, CX-9, NC MX-5, etc.... I don't know if this is the case on the BA V6, we never have these cars here so I don't have experience on those cars

the wheel centre bores reflect on the wheel hubs on the car, they will have the corresponding 54 and 67mm sizes so that the wheels will properly fit and stay on... the spindle sizes where the wheel hubs goes into the bearings remain the same, but as you said, splines maybe different.... this is not the case for the BJ as proven by many 4 stud 2.0l BJs sold here which uses the same exact driveshafts as the 5 stud 2.0l BJs.... phil's G series gearbox swap further exemplifies this truth
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #35
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
5stud v6 ba centre hole is 67.1 also.

outer splines on alxes are 26 for all 323s 90-03
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #36
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
I am having a bit of a LOL that here's a dude trying to ditch stock v6 16" wheels while I'm actively trying to get a set.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #37
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I am having a bit of a LOL that here's a dude trying to ditch stock v6 16" wheels while I'm actively trying to get a set.
Theres a black set on gumtree for real cheap, you can buy mine in a few weeks when i find a set of rims i like or you can hit up clean cookie for a set.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #38
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
You can have mine for the price of swapping the tyres to other rims and transport. I'll even throw in a spare
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #39
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Quote:
I have 2 sets lying around.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #40
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
if your interested I could have set for you. Pm me to let me know.

back on topic. Of what seems shoudl of just been.

Don't consider it - don't do it. It's backward Idea.

Mazda in the first place would of never for Production costs and reasons NEVER - EVER added a 5 stud hub to the V6 in the first place if it was not needed.

Think about it- the BA is based on the earlier Eunos Ca chassis 500 - 5 stud.
When they have made the 4 cylinder version - they have gone lets CUT COSTS. Where can we or where don't we need and extra bolt or two or air bag or thicker shock strut etc.

Having done a lot of this type or Money saving engineering. both ways. sometimes you add 2mm to something like rear diameter disc rotors to save $1000 every 20 cars or products you make.

This talk for a set of wheels costing what $1000 to you - made at cost of $200 worth what on ebay $200. Come on so just for the looks you want to risk, putting 4 studs under increased load with a high chance of failure. At least when you hit that pot -hole when your cornering hard - you look good as you spear off into a wall or on -coming traffic.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote