Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 13-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #5561
mkid

Car: BK 3 SP23
Send a message via MSN to mkid
not to do with my car but my older brother took my KLRout last night while i was at work that me and my dad have been building up for this years enduro season
last thing left to do was mount the bigger front brake disc and caliper, and jetting the carb
he rode it into a 40cm high rock and snapped the gear selecter shaft clean off, cracked the gearbox/engine housing and its now jammed in 4th
looks like where up for a new engine and panels from what ive seen this morning

thinking about bolting it back together tanking all the race parts off and cut my losses
looks like i cant enter 80's class at APEX Milton this year where i was hoping to near the podium. looks like im pitting this year oh well
mkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #5562
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
how is that even possible???

on a happier note (perhaps not for the neighbours) i got my kart going finally... tied it down onto the stand and used a rope to start it around the tyre, new sparkplug and some carby cleaner and finally it went... took it for a slow trip round the block and ive never been on a kart before but it was scary, for the first time in my life i was driving something with WAY too much power to control! cant wait to get it onto the ute and out to a proper track where theres no cars, no cops and no kids to run into
Old 13-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #5563
bg astina

Car: Mazda Astina 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post

on a happier note (perhaps not for the neighbours) i got my kart going finally... tied it down onto the stand and used a rope to start it around the tyre, new sparkplug and some carby cleaner and finally it went... took it for a slow trip round the block and ive never been on a kart before but it was scary, for the first time in my life i was driving something with WAY too much power to control! cant wait to get it onto the ute and out to a proper track where theres no cars, no cops and no kids to run into
Mint I want a kart
Old 13-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #5564
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Things i learnt today

1. BJ, GW wagon and BG Sedan/3DR all share the same front strut mounting points - so strut braces are universal to them all.

2. A JDM BJI Sport20 gauge cluster will work perfectly in a BJII 1.8 Protege.

3. BJ clusters keep the odometer readings in the cluster.

4. BJ JDM clusters have a different chime warning sound to AUDM cars!

5. BJ Sport20s had traction control

6. The tiptronic readout on the cluster doesn't interface with the BJII autos...but it does light up LOL

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #5565
mikey_something

Car: 1998 Toyota Supra 3.0L Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post

youve never gone karting before?
outrageous....

they're crazy fun!
the power to weight ratios are so stupid that ive seen a drag race between a kart and a lambo where the kart wins hands down.
the best fun is turning around...
"oh dead end, i'll just turn the steering wheel and floor it and do an instant 180"
mikey_something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #5566
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B tuned by STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
4. BJ JDM clusters have a different chime warning sound to AUDM cars!
haha that's an odd difference

I take it you were interchanging clusters in a car?
Old 13-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #5567
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisdaniel View Post
haha that's an odd difference

I take it you were interchanging clusters in a car?
Yeah, i picked up a Sport20 one off the Yahoo Auctions for the missus' car and put it in today.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #5568
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Brought and installed a turbo timer - ended up being faulty
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #5569
chewyryce

Car: NA MX5
changed gear oil on the weekend... some idiot put locktite on the drain hole and filler plug. i had to heat it up with the blow torch and mangle up the bolts... will get them replaced later on.

also found out that the left rear disc rotor is warped which is causing an annoying whining noise whenever i drive and brake. so now im going to upgrade the rotors from

NA
Fronts - 235mm
Rear - 231mm
TO
NB
Front - 270mm
Rear - 276mm
now i just need the cash to buy the upgrade before track day that is coming up in a week :\
chewyryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #5570
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Just got back from picking up my new CAI. Thanks to ****n road works took like 3x as long as it took to get there ffs.

Took about 45 mins to go from Salsbury to Manly

Last edited by Ice88; 15-03-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Ice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #5571
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyryce View Post
TO
NB
Front - 270mm
Rear - 276mm
now i just need the cash to buy the upgrade before track day that is coming up in a week :\
Big $$$ for minimal brake upgrade. Since you have big power, thought about getting big brakes in? Wilwood, 949 Racing and Goodwon all do good 4pot options that will fit in 15 inch rims. Another bonus is the weight less the the NB8B ones.

track day?
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #5572
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Replaced my coil to distributor lead. The car had a set of Top Gun or Eagle or something performance leads when I bought it, but the coil lead always had tape over the end that connected to the coil. When I removed it today the inside of the coil end connector was all corroded and green and the casing was half ripped off. Replaced it with a normal Bosch lead after cleaning out the inside of the coil as best as possible.

Also the factory original ground lead [battery to chassis] was still on the car and it looked pretty ragged and corroded. So I cleaned up all the points with sandpaper and put on a nice big 2ga lead.

And finally, I bought a new distributor cap and rotor button that will go in on the weekend when I change the accessory belts and flush the hydraulic system.

Being unemployed sure gives you plenty of time to fix up piddly little things on your car.

Last edited by derb; 15-03-2011 at 02:04 PM.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #5573
chewyryce

so for the first time last night i experienced something odd. started up the car and 2 min later it died. EVERYTHING works except for when you put it on ignition there are no dash lights and the boost gauge light doesnt turn on. engine cranks over and everything but no fuel delivery and no accessory lights. not even the hand brake light comes on.

things that do come on are, dash lights (when turning on head light), head lights, radio on ignition, engine cranks over normally, just the usual stuff.

ive checked all the fuses. im suspecting either a relay that im not sure of, a broken wire somewhere, an imobilizer that possibly could have been there previously (i only have a single key). and worse case is it could even be the ecu.

i'll check out as much as i can by this weekend and if not im just gonna give it to a sparky. i had to tow it to my work last night. *sigh*

chewy
Old 16-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #5574
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X

Almost ready for my weekend 'major' service. Just waiting until payday tomorrow to grab a few bottles of Motul RBF600 brake fluid and a Haynes guide that's coming in via post. Then it's new belts, new dizzy parts and a hydraulic system flush. I'm excited!
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #5575
chewyryce

alright 24 hrs later and a stripped interior it turns out that the fake apexi turbo timer from ebay burnt out. fixed it and its running YAY. now i have money for a brake upgrade

Last edited by chewyryce; 16-03-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 17-03-2011, 02:01 AM   #5576
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Hooked up my fuel pressure sender unit. Found a really neat solution that uses the stock fuel rail and FPR, and doesn't require cutting any fuel lines. I will post details in my build log on the weekend

Also, I just about finished relocating my coil packs. Again piccies and a bit of a write-up will appear in my build log over the weekend

While I'm waiting on the Bumper Sag Fix brackets, I might even get a chance to sort out the power folding mirrors

Slowly clearing the backlog of projects

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #5577
Ice88

Fitted Orions old CAI last night, went for a bit of a drive. Interesting noise to say the least. Feels a heap better fixed a few issues with engine stalling at take off, but that was prolly ecu reset. Most likely take a lil while for the ecu to learn and ajust to suit the mods. To some degree my low idles been fixed to, doesnt drop to under 400 revs. Stays about 600 now.
Old 17-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #5578
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice88 View Post
Fitted Orions old CAI last night, went for a bit of a drive. Interesting noise to say the least. Feels a heap better fixed a few issues with engine stalling at take off, but that was prolly ecu reset. Most likely take a lil while for the ecu to learn and ajust to suit the mods. To some degree my low idles been fixed to, doesnt drop to under 400 revs. Stays about 600 now.
Is that where it ended up?

Good to hear it is working out for you

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #5579
Ice88

Yah got it off mat on monday night. Pod barely fits in the wheel well. Everytime you put the accelerator down you can here the induction whoosh as the throttle body opens, then its like bring on the noise.
Old 17-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #5580
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice88 View Post
Yah got it off mat on monday night. Pod barely fits in the wheel well. Everytime you put the accelerator down you can here the induction whoosh as the throttle body opens, then its like bring on the noise.
you might of had a slight air leak after the air flow meter...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote