Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Bodykits & Exterior

Old 15-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
Paint Advise ?????

Paint Advise ?????

In the never ending Saga of Skippy’s paint job we have had yet another set back (yes a another friggin one),

Looking for some advice from someone who knows a bit about painting cars (dark cars esp).

Swirl marks have appeared once again plain as day,

This was after 4 attempts to fix it and one go at paint protector.

I have no confidence in AAMI fixes as they have been less then useless in the past,
So I shall find my own and make AAMI pay for it (as the paint has a life time garuntee like all AAMI repairs)
therefore cost not an issue in the least.

I have swirl marks all over my car that was fully resprayed 5 months ago and when I got it back it had swirl marks all over it, (been trying to get this right ever since)

It has been buffed, polished and waxed several times ,but next time I wash it the marks re-appear as before, This was exactly the same deal with the paint protector.

I went and saw a Detailer who said that all (yes all) cars have swirl marks on them but these are covered by a layer of wax or polish which is why they appear mirror like, I have used a harsh detregent that has eaten away this top cost leaving the swirl marks exposed.

He recommends polishing and waxing professionally once, then after each wash apply a wax or liquid polish.

And that would build up the coating needed for a nice shine,

So this would mean if I washed any new car with the detergent I have at home swirl makrs would appear, I just seem to doubt that,

Anyway is he right?
is he not?
is he half right?

Just loking for someone with some experience in this regard as this has been going for almost half a year and I am getting quite friggin fed up with it.

Wishfully says thank you in advance,
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 15-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
your clear coat shoudl have made an awful load of this disappear

he is semi right... you don't normally get stuff so blatantly obvious, but you should be using a low sudsing detergent (such as amorall wash and wax or meguirs pink crap) for the first washes, and yes try and build up a couple of layers... i'd suggest 4-5 good layers of polish on new paint (or any new car really).... this will start your protection, and make every effort from then v. easy

all the layers are only thin layers, you wouldn't even use half a bottle of polish on a car your size....

see if you can get another clear coat on the top.. this should hide it... better yet see if you can get a pearl added
Old 15-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
BigBoyLemonade
The Architect

Car: AUSDM S6 RX7
Send a message via ICQ to BigBoyLemonade
You will never get your paint perfect, Trust me! I painted my old Astina twice from factory when both times it didn't need it. You just need to live with the fact a dark car will have swirl marks... but there is a way to combat this!

Use Autoglym polish and wax! I would sell my name too it! My eunos paint came up fantastic, it took 4 hours but it is easy to apply! The only problem is my car has lots of stone chips but it came up so well the promo girls from Autoglym wanted to polish my car out of the row of cars I was next too...

It won't stay perfect for more than a month and washing the car ruins the wax but if you use the right car wash detergent that is nice to wax and then hit it with a final detailer afterwards it stays and looks good for a good 3-6months

My car before:

My car after:

The titty women polishing my car at Autosalon

Infinite Networks- Creative Web design and powerful online application solutions

Last edited by BigBoyLemonade; 15-03-2005 at 05:42 PM.
BigBoyLemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
you should have held her hands behind her back and made her find something else to polish the car with ...
Dogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
platypus
living in the past man

why is it i read Xedos has replied, and instantly knew there would be titty girls (now now i think you should be politically correct here - mamogramically enhanced, non eye irritant, females)

just another thought - have you tried any swirl removal products? or a clay bar??
Old 16-03-2005, 07:49 AM   #6
geetee

Car: A Mazda 323F BJ Sport.
Send a message via MSN to geetee
so, a nice wee blonde "titty" type is polishing your car and thats the best pic you got???
howsabout the rest of them???
please?
hee hee
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
skippy
Resident Dissident

Wheels and dumping it didn’t hurt either, very nice photo.

Hmm, ahh what to do, not sounding to hopefull there boys, but thanks for the advise.

So you all think it is a rather impractical of me to think that it should look roughly as good as a brand new car in the same paint.
I wouldn’t of thought it was that much to expect,

If I sounded pissed it cause I am but not at you or your answers,

Basically if it is insured, gets broken I expect new for old, not something worse than the orginal,

So besides me spending 4 hours 5 times to polish my car and then forever being carefull about which products I use. Do we have any other solutions like one I could forward to AAMI to make them take the majority of work and cost.

Ie they pay to get my car waxed and detailed 4-5 times to build up that coat, and then supply me with whatever car wash I should use.

I don’t want to have to buy expensive car cleaning products or spend hours applying them because as I see it what ever is required to get the paint looking like it should is part and parcel of the claim.

Your SP20 gets its engine stolen and the insurance company replace it with a 1.8l engine I wouldn’t accept that, so why should I except this.

If the reason I am getting a job with swirl marks is because a job without them is to expensive that is their problem.

If Insurance compaines expect me to be rather relaxed about how the car comes out they can get stuffed they make dam good money and I refuse to believe it is impossible to get a car that looks good while still being able to treat it like any new car.

Cost of repair should not be a factor when making a claim it should be worked into their premiums and excess, if dark cars cost more to fix properly make em pay more for insurance. If it is that expensive write the car off I wouldn’t mind, I just want the car to have the same sort of paint it did before the claim.

My problem is that the only solutions I have been given are all short term and will require constant care I would not of had to do if not for making this claim.

Insurance is so that I can control the maximum negative effect something will have
ie.my car gets the front end smashed I will have to pay the excess and be without a car until it is fixed, this provides piece of mind and limited liability, If after they fixed it they say you will have to replace all the gaskets every 5000 km after wards you wouldn’t accpet that as this wasn;t the case beforehand so they haven’t fixed it properly.

FYI I did pay over $1500 towards this respray so I want to be happy with it. If anything like this was pointed out to me earlier things would have been different but it was not

As I see it Paint does two things looks good and Stops rust, so if it doesn’t look good it is not doing its job.

OK rants over,
In conclusion,
Xedos seeing your car does provide some hope in that at worst I can fix it up roughly as much as you did using only polish and wax,
So the worst case is a good looking car but requireing effort on my behalf, which I resent and have other objections to but hey car shall look good.

Going to see AAMI next Monday see what they say,

I am concerned about the me fix method as I can foresee them saying at the end of this if it hadn’t worked that I polished to many times, too hard or something. I want them to do it so it can in no way be my fault and them refuse to fix it as I shouldn’t have done this or that, and use that to wash their hands with it.

I will try to get them to fix it but if buying me stuff is the eventual solution what products and quantity should I request, polishing now and then for care every after, remember cost is not a problem if the best is 3% better but 75% more expensive I don’t care I want the best.

FYI In case you didn’t geuss I don’t mind fighting with insurance companie esp when I am right (believe I am right, hheheheh).
Old 24-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
skippy
Resident Dissident

see if this piccy works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter.jpg
Views:	1430
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	23   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonnet.jpg
Views:	1368
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	24   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof.jpg
Views:	1402
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	25  

Last edited by skippy; 24-03-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 24-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Hey Skip..

That's pretty terrible. I would expect that the buffing pad the smash repair place used was a **** one basically. Those types of swirl marks would definately suggest that as you can see where they've gone back and forth on the roof.

I would demand a respray and get them to polish it by hand!

AP

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #10
pharkn-kb

Car: what day... different one each day
Send a message via MSN to pharkn-kb
my bonnet looks a little like this but only in the sun and its not as bad as that jeeez

pharkn-kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #11
skippy
Resident Dissident

Should see it in real life when its clean on a bright day,

I have been told it was probably a novice with a foam buffer instead of lambs wool (or something llike that)

This was taken after the place that did it got it back at least four times to fix it and AAMI got someone to come out and put paint protector on it (I have some very safe swirl marks now).

Lets have a round of applause for AAMI and Castle Hill Smash Repair.

Re: demanding the re-respray I will after this one last attempt.

It is going back on wednesday I am taking it to their inspection centre and just saying simply fix it, and ask a few questions about my life time gaurntee on AAMI repairs as I am getting concern about how many times my paint has been cut back and polished not to mention the poor quality or workmanship the whole way thru.

Am I being paranoid about the Polishing part, want opinions please.
Old 24-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #12
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
My brother in law (whose a spray painter) reckons that if he let that car out of the shop looking like that, he would be fired.

Cut it back and respray it.
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #13
platypus
living in the past man

jeeeebus, it looks like its been buffed with a turps soaked rag!!!
Old 24-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #14
nalawa
DBF

This brings up an interesting point for me. I have been considering whether to buy a polishing machine, after looking at Skippy's car makes me wonder it would be like my father used to tell me, "Power tools just let you make bigger mistakes quicker". How does everyone else polish their cars, by hand or with a buffer?
Old 24-03-2005, 06:40 PM   #15
platypus
living in the past man

yes, but by hand you put excessive pressure on the paint....
with a buffer you can burn through the paint
Old 25-03-2005, 10:20 AM   #16
geetee

when i polish my car and i can`t get rid of swirl marks/streaks, i usually wipe the offending panel with white spirit and then try it again.
sometimes works, but not always.........
i also apply the car wax with a damp cellulose sponge, which makes it easier to buff off.
it gets me pretty good results, and i have a black car.......
Old 25-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #17
Tublade
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty GT
i polish mine by hand and take my sweet time to make sure its all nice and shiny, i'm so glad that when they buffed my car its wasn't like that, but i did get run's in the clear tho. lucky it was at the bottem of the doors so my side skirts that i just install just hides the white marks from the clear.

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbgar...do=view&id=577
Tublade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 11:32 AM   #18
pharkn-kb

Car: what day... different one each day
Send a message via MSN to pharkn-kb
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalawa
"Power tools just let you make bigger mistakes quicker". How does everyone else polish their cars, by hand or with a buffer?

GOLD!!!

i have a orbital buffer that i use on my car ... makes it look awsome as long as you pay attention to what your doing..
my sis did her car using no pad.. just the bare foam base..
needless to say a new bonnet and respray later....

pharkn-kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 07:29 AM   #19
geetee

i tried a buffer on mine but i didn`t like it.
it didn`t feel "safe"!!!
Old 29-03-2005, 01:41 PM   #20
skippy
Resident Dissident

CHEERS Dudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JynX
My brother in law (whose a spray painter) reckons that if he let that car out of the shop looking like that, he would be fired.

Cut it back and respray it.
That was the job they did, but they put a polish on top to send it out of the shop so it looked alright then,

Confrontation scheduled for 8.15 tomorrow morning.

With a jaws theme to it,
"dar dunt dar dunt dar dunt darduntdardunt",