Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 25-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
astina_gt_nz

Car: BG Astina gt
Question what do i do !! to turbo or not

hey people ... what should i do .. i have a 1990 gt astina ...a friends brother has offerd me his gtx engine loom ecu .. pretty much everything i need to do the conversion .. he wants to swap it for my 1987 subaru leone 1.8 turbo gt sedan .. im probally going to take him up on the deal as those engines cost about *nz$1500* or more with all the stuff for conversion and beauty is i get to hear it as the 4wd box has blown ive heard its just about as simple as dropping it in but .. im going to have to keep it fwd .. any tips .. going gtx would really be awsome only drawback i can think of is the fee to get it re'registered with the new engine *next warrent is in 5 months tho* and the fear of my fwd box goin boom .. anyone possably got a list of what i will need from the gtx to do the conversion .. just so i dont miss anything.. and any thoughts .. subaru leone's are rare .. but so are gtx engines *in nz*

ps how hard is it to replace the loom .. seems like a mission guess it would be eaiser without the engine there :P .. thx for any help
astina_gt_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Damn, I'd keep the Leone. It might not be as fast, but it's built stronger and would get more looks from car enthusiasts. And then there is insurance, cops, etc...

Not what you wanted to hear eh?
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
astina_gt_nz

yeah thats what i was thinking .. so very drawn towards a gtx engine tho hahaha hummmm ... no need to worry about insurance got none . cant afford it..... but i wont have a runabout while im doing the conversion if i take the deal ugh ... so many things to consider .. how much hp do these gtx engine push .. heard it to be about 180ish .. anyone know if the gtx clutch is the same as the gt? as im thinking the gt pressure plate and clutch wouldint cope with it .. *allready feels light and tends to slip now and then* from what ive read the g series box *the one i got * bolts right onto the engine ... but does the gtx clutch and flywheel fit in there ? same amount of teeth and stuff ? been looking around and all ive found is people replacing the clutches when they do the conversion .. hopefully there all interchangeable .. the more i think about a astina gtx the more i drool

Last edited by astina_gt_nz; 25-07-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 25-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
astina_gt_nz

hum well found those excedy* apexi* clutches advertised .. what would be the clutch product no for the clutch i would need ? any of these be good?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...77338.htm?p=20

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...53268.htm?p=21

they auctions arent very informative though .. just dont want to buy a hd gtx one ... from what ive read it dosent look like it will fit in the fwd g series box but im not sure ... any ideas for a cheap solution?
Old 26-07-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
Sims

Car: Sport20 Familia
IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD INSURANCE THEN YOU SURE AS HELL CAN'T AFFORD AN ENGINE TRANSPLANT

Basically its totally irresponsible to drive anywhere without insurance. Do you have any idea how much this could cost you if things go bad? Its not just the fact that you could crash into a porsche, but insurance protects you from a legal stand point as well.
Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
these conversion end up costing anywhere near $5,000 AUD
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
astina_gt_nz

5000 ... shizen ... where does all that go ? im assuming your adding like .. 3k to that figure for the actuall engine itself ... if its a straight swap .. what aftermarket parts do i need ... i understand il need another clutch ... but 5k ... .. ive driven for 4 years .. never had insurance never will .. unless i become rich . .. so far i have had 2 people hit me .. both times if i had insurance i could have claimed .. but i just beat the dents out and replaced the boot .. im a pretty sane driver ... unless i hit a few back roads .. the guy said he will give me *EVERYTHING* from his gtx for the conversion ... could someone gimmie a list of what i need from his gtx and what aftermarket parts il need? .. i still cant find a answer to if the gtx clutch and pressure plate and stuff are interchangeable .. the clutch is the only thing holding me back from accepting the deal .. i have read around about the clutches too .. and the only answer i get is to go get a exeedy hd clutch .. any other mazda clutches suitable? a normal gt clutch with heaps of life left work? or is it the pressure plate too? mabie a gtx pressure plate on a gt clutch?
Old 26-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
astina_gt_nz

+ i hardly think a 600$ astina is worth getting insurance for .. mabie a future plan after gtx is in and i got a job .. so people think its a bad idea? noone has done this on a tight bidjet and got away with it ... im going to do all the work myself .. so that il bypass the transplant cost from a mecanic .. hes even givin me the strut brace * which wont fit on a astina in the 1st place*
Old 26-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Intercooler, piping, BOV, clutch... it depends what stock stuff you're getting and are going to use.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
astina_gt_nz

has a bov ..have to check intercooler and piping are being supplied too ... any word on if gtx clutches and pressure plates fit the fwd box? or what il need from the gtx to make it fit it?
Old 26-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
astina_gt_nz

ops found that answer on a post you did before answering mine thx
Old 26-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
Sims

Car: Sport20 Familia
This is why insurance should be compulsory…

3rd party would be less than $400 a year, thats about the price of mac combo per week. The only excuse for not having it is either stupidity or arrogance.
Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
not having insurance is nuts mate, if you hit something expensive or cause injuries to someone you are pretty much screwed for a long time
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
over here in aus if you cause injuries i thought rego third party covered that...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
astina_gt_nz

.. none of my friends or my parents have insurance for cars .. if im being "stupid" or "ignorant" for driving a bit more cautiously without insurance then ow well ... ive been hit 2 times .. im not worried about 3rd party insurance tbh .. wouldint mind knowing why a conversion would cost 5k tho ..
Old 26-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
LYNX
AstinaGT Regular

Car: MAZDA 323 BG SP
Send a message via MSN to LYNX
Quote:
Originally Posted by astina_gt_nz View Post
.. none of my friends or my parents have insurance for cars .. if im being "stupid" or "ignorant" for driving a bit more cautiously without insurance then ow well ... ive been hit 2 times .. im not worried about 3rd party insurance tbh .. wouldint mind knowing why a conversion would cost 5k tho ..
It costs that much becoz its a good idea to flush all new fluids thru it also new belts and aftermarket clutch and 3inch exhaust and other bits of things and i used my SP astina flywheel just got an aftermarket clutch 4 it but i ended up buying brand new spark plugs and $200 dollars just on gearbox oil and engine oil and the g box bolts straight up to the gtx engine
LYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #17
astina_gt_nz

ahh i see should i go 3inch straight away or could i get away with the standard size and putting some resonators and big bore at the end? im guessing the gtx mifler is different from a gt .. *i think mine isint a astina mufler .. its a factory one* .. but hell knows what car it came from
Old 26-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #18
LYNX
AstinaGT Regular

Car: MAZDA 323 BG SP
Send a message via MSN to LYNX
if i was you m8 i'd go wif 3inch straight up and i honestly think the gtx engine conversion is worth it
LYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
but remember do it right and properly the first time and reap the benefits ...thats why you need the extra dough....dont half a$$ it and do dodgy things like not replacing all the seals and stuff like that or you will be pulling your hair out in no time....

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #20
89sp1.8

Car: bg astina
Send a message via MSN to 89sp1.8
stupid/ignorant not having insurance..i think that abit harsh..if you always keep ur eyes on rd..stop at all red lights..keep 2 sec distance from car in front etc etc..not saying u will never be in an accident..cause i assure u,u will..but how can an accident ever be ur fault? very unlikly if u intend on obeying rules and driving saftely.

on another note..yeah like lynx said..good idea to do fluids/oils,belts,heavy duty clutch..and even if not exhaust..u will need to get ur old one hooked up to the gtx dump pipe..they most likly be diffrent sizes also.
and is easy with loom,leave looms connected to both engines..and just swap engines that way new engine goes in,and u just basically hook up ecu and ignition etc..oh and u will need gtx ecu
89sp1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote