Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 07-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
astina_gt_nz

Car: BG Astina gt
Random stalling please help

hey guys ... ive got a 1990 gt astina (1800 dohc) ... i am offically going insane ... my engine stalls very randomly i have took it to get diagnosed at a mecanic who plugs it into his computer and he said there was nothing wrong ... the car .. it stalls in any circumstance ... coming up to lights ... stopped at lights .... if i take too long to change gear .... .. i can keep it going if i "catch it" and pump the accel and keep the revs up ... but eg ... if its being annoying it il splutter and fart ... i have to keep revs above 4k just to take off from lights when its doing so ... any help would be really really appreciated .. its happened at so many intersections where ive had to push my car off to the side and sit there starting it for about a minute til it goes *during that minute it just splutters and farts on like ... .. .. .. 200 revs .. im going insane .... to dat i have kicked in the whole left hand side of the car in frustration ... and it looks like somones took a freckin bat to the drivers side of my car now lol ... ugh .. the car splutters down the motorway and in residental areas too ... if it does ... i can kinda drive like normal by not acceling at all ... but the second i try to accel when its playing around the engine just cuts .... . . .. then pops back into action about a second or 2 later ... .. and if its doing that .. and i need to stop then i need to keep revs goin or it dies ... and then im pushing my car again .... crapped out at a round about today ... had like 10 useless people behind me just tooting and shouting ... im ACTUALLY going to go insane and just take a brick to it soon aye ... its been like this for years and noone can seem to tell me what its doing .. and yeah ... problem is when i take it to someone to get diagnosed ... it dosent fart around .... INTIL i drive it like 5km down the st ... then i turn back to go to mecanic and a km down the road works fine no probs again ... any info please :P and thanks in advance for advise or help ... **** btw allready tried the fuel pump ***
astina_gt_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Sounds like an vacuum/air flow meter problem.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
astina_gt_nz

Car: BG Astina gt
yeah i thought that a afm was the next step .. bloddy gt astinas .. parts in new zealand are hard as to get 2nd hand .. :P .. .. sorry for my ... newbishness ... what is the vacuum :P thx!
astina_gt_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
A vacuum leak in one of the vacuum hoses.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
bg astina

Car: Mazda Astina 1990
Might help to replace the spark plugs and leads as well, my sister's Lancer does the same thing but no-where near as bad it just jadders like a cow on drugs on take off, and all it is, is the 3rd spark lead is snapped on the inside and the plugs and really dirty, I've told her to replace then but she wont