Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 28-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
sirex

80,000km service

I took my hardtop in for its 80,000km service last Friday (even though it is a couple of hundered km short of 80km). Now the dumb mechanic didn't do what I asked, instead he did an oil and filter change and did a mechanical check on the car. The check was good as I have only owned the car a couple of months and was uncertain of any mechanincal problems. Basically the only problem with the car is that the brake fluid and antifreeze have to be flushed and changed (this prat didn't ring me and offer to do this while car was there).

So now I have got to go back to get the antifreeze and brake fluid flushed, I want to know what else should be done at 80km as I don't have a service manual? What else would have been included had they completed a proper 80km service?

Also I was told that the cambelt has to be replaced (something I already knew), what age/distance does the service manual say about cambelt replacement? I will probably be alright for another 10km right?

1993 V6 Lantis
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 28-05-2003, 09:01 PM   #2
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I have a 1.8 (only two cams) and the timing belt is done at 100,000 km. I did it as a separate repair, it cost as much as a regular service. the belt doesn't cost much but the labor was about 3-4 hours. Have the cooling system done at the same time. 8)
Mazda’s' idea of bleeding the brakes is to replace the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, a reputable brake shop will do a full job, call 'em for a quote. I would recommend personally having the brakes bled every year, zero to a hundred is all very well and good but if she don't stop then you're in deep poo ops:
Old 15-06-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
sirex

Well I have been pretty busy lately, but am going to mechanic next week. So far my list is:
-bleed brakes
-flush antifreeze
-change gearbox oil
-adjust clutch

fuel filter?
plugs?
Leads?
Is there anything else I should get done, cause I don't want to go back a third time?

I got a quote of $625NZ from Mazda for the timing belt and drive belts, so I will wiat 20,00km.

1993 V6 Lantis
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 08:11 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Mazdas' idea of bleading brakes it to suck all the fluid from the resavour and replace it. Go to a brake shop, they'll do it properly.
It's a good idea to change fluid colour each time so you know when the job is done.

My last fuel filter cost $70 AUD (Pacific Paesos). I don't know if fuel in your area is good or crap, It's also a pain to get to which takes more time and $$$. Down side is it could end in lean mix and an expired engine

I guess my point is find a workshop that suits you and your car, there are some good mechanics out there who will only do work that is required and some that take the easy way out and follow the book (read Mazda) and those who will rip you off blind.

Rod
Old 15-06-2003, 08:25 PM   #5
Toyboy

Car: Ba Astina
Send a message via MSN to Toyboy
Yeah i got my brake system flushed at a proper brake place,they sucked all the old fluid from each corner(calipers) with a certain device to make sure that all the old fluid was gone,then replaced it with the new stuff and bled the braking/clutch system :wink:
The PROPER way
Old 15-06-2003, 08:33 PM   #6
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyboy
Yeah i got my brake system flushed at a proper brake place,they sucked all the old fluid from each corner(calipers) with a certain device to make sure that all the old fluid was gone,then replaced it with the new stuff and bled the braking/clutch system :wink:
The PROPER way
When I race the Cosmo I always cook the brakes. Nothin' more fun than arriving at the 150 metre mark before a corner at 200+kmh and the brakes have become ficticious. Side ways sort of works ops: :lol:

Brakes are important If you abuse them then you should take extra good care of them.

Rod