Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 09-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Car: MPS3
2Brag's Interior Build

I'm going to update this day by day, sadly todays pics were from the phone and as good as they looked on the phone they turned out pretty $h!thouse.

Day 1;

Today we stripped the car...and when i say stripped i dont mean a couple of pillars, i mean EVERYTHING except the driver seat and dash. I'm very surprised at how easy the car came apart, the Accord was a prick, but this was so easy

As some BJ owners know the bottom of the back seats just pop out, and the backs are held in with a couple of bolts. The pillars just pop off, the scuff plates pull off, etc etc, was awesome haha, in all it took less than 2 hours to pull apart including many drinks breaks and so on.

Below are the very crappy pics of what we did today, including the start of the rear seat build, which will be made to copy the front seats.

^ I really need to tidy up these wires which is something that will be done prior to the rear seats going back in.

^ The rear speakers and baby seat hooks will be removed, i'm actually considering making a custom parcel shelf with '2BRAG' in it, in a lifted form....but thats a 'maybe if i can be bothered' item

^ Wow a door haha

^ Amps popping their heads through and that dirty wiring bears its ugly head once more

^ The hoodlining was very keen to fall down as i pulled off pillars and certain trims

^ Rank.....lack of interior...i mean RACE SPEC!

^ Now the fun begins, as slow and tedious as it will be, im quite excited about doing it, as you can se here we started on the hip bolsters which were very very easy thankfully

^ About the only pics that came out half decent, as we found Mazda dont use hooks on their trims they use velcro which will make our job so much easier, as anyone who's done or seen an interior done, getting the rings in and clipped on is a prick of a job, but bring on the velcro THANKS MAZDA

^The front seats how i want the rear seats to be....you can see the work that will be involved, there will be many hours spent pondering how to do it

^ The metal backing on the rear seats is quite sharp as i found out the hard way

Well thats it for Monday.....Tomorrow will bring more work on the rear seats, possibly the custom parcel shelf, and more than likely building the Mazda symbol into the hood lining.

Unfortunately the material that we chose isnt available from my trimmers (Trim Trendz) suppliers so he had to make some calls and some more samples will arrive tomorrow so we wont see any material until wednesday but its ok we've got some more work to do on the rears, fronts, hoodling, etc etc.

Keep an eye out for tomorrows updates
Old 09-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Day 2....

Well to say im unhappy with the progress made today would be an understatement, and i have noone else to blame but myself. I changed my mind on interior colours so many times it wasn't until today that i finalised the colour so we had to chase it around due to my trimmers main supplier cancelling that stuff due to UV problems, so we tracked a new supplier and it will arrive tomorrow.

Pretty much all today acheived was completing the rear seats (they look pretty ratty at the moment but once the foam lay over is done they'll look a treat) and pulled apart the front seats to get the paterns and began mapping out the pieces required for the door trims

^ The trim from the seats amazingly lined up with my eye perfectly....was probably the highlight of the day

^ To say I get side tracked would be a understatement

With the material arriving tomorrow [fingers crossed] we will get stuck into trimming things but it will all come down to the punctuality of the freight company, so hopefully [as i type that im begging] it will be there at lunch time so we can get stuck into it, im expecting to have a fair whack of the pillars and scuff plates and the like done, then hopefully tackling the seats on thursday

^ No doubt that above paragraph will not happen, but we can only hope the timing goes to plan

Last edited by 2brag; 10-10-2006 at 09:27 PM.
2brag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Day 3...

Well I now cannot complain that Day 2 was unproductive...

Majority of todays work went to stereo wiring, rewired the from speakers to go through the standard wiring tube thingo. Rewired the amps and stuff so it will feed through to their new position. Planned the rest of the boot install and started on the patterns for the rear seats.

The most part of todays work was the wiring, the the later few hours (left at 8pm) was spent doing th patterns for the rear seats, becase of the custom work they have to be done from scratch.

Also the material didnt arrive so we're now a day behind, but we will smash through a fair bit tomorrow [fingers crossed AGAIN]

I got the annoying part of the stereo install outy of the way...the wiring, so tomorrow morning (i plan to have it finished by lunch) i will build the flooring for the amp cover and the plate for covering the sub box, my fingers are sore so im not gonna go into too much depth, as there isnt all that much to talk about.

Tomorrow will be a more exciting day, as everything will start to take shape, there WILL be trimming done.

^ Got wires!!!!!

^ doesnt look much at the moment but tomorrow it will look a lot different

^ standard sucks....

^ The nitty gritty of doing the patterns

I appologise for today and yesterday being quite boring, but i promise the next couple of days will be far more

Last edited by 2brag; 11-10-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Day 4....

So yesterday i said i wanted the streo finished by lunch.....that went out the window... Woke up late, got to Bunnings, got to the shed and got stuck into it...the Sikaflex i bought....was joint stuff so it was flexible so that went downhill fast.

Then we had dilemmas with wiring, constant errors on the amp but i've got it nutted out (at 5:30 tonight ) but we'll fix that a tomorrow.

The material arrived at lunch time so we got stuck into trimming things, so far we've got some of the door cards, pillars, hoodlining and glove box done but i accidently got wood shavings all over it so we need to clean them all now which will be killer haha, but we'll sort it.

^ The amp flooring, this will have a cover over it all with perspex window so you can see the top of the amp

^ The start of the cover haha, about as far as it got to

^ me doing some "custom" metal work to fit the box in better
^^ reads; belting the @#$% out of the metal @#$% to make that @$#$^%$%^ box fit in the $%^^$ gap

^ the story so far

^ some of the trimming so far, and accidently (on purpose) used hot4s pics of my cars as the background haha

^ i hate battery terminals

^ the scuff plates...but i didnt get a pic of them finished...we managed to get the '323' metal panel back on and they look a treat

Things are looking pretty good for finishing the job tomorrow, fingers crossed

Last edited by 2brag; 12-10-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Day 5....

Well everythings starting to come together now

As I said [hoped] yesterday, we'd aim to have the pillars and doors in today, and it all happened.

The hoodlining, A, B, C pillars, Scuff plates, parcel shelf, parts of the centre console and the glove box are all done and in. The rear door cards are in, just finishing the front doors as we speak and will be in tonight [I needed a break from the shed]

Have a look at the scuff plates, im loving them haha.

^ The shop, with a customers Merc which is getting 22 odd screens put in it, replacing the door handles with screens, 2 in the boot lid, f loads in side the car and stereo

The seats aren't done yet due to time restraints with material showing up late, but monday will see the front seats finished and tues & wed will be set aside for trimming the rears. They will take 2 days because the patterns have to be made from scratch and a dummy has to be donr with other material to make sure it'll all work.

The finished pics of the seats will go here....

Upon completion of the interior im gonna go take a load of shots of the finished product.

I've also got to finish the boot install but ill do that when ive got spare time over the next few weekends.

Then a few weeks later we'll see the same thing but for the building of the custom kit.

Last edited by 2brag; 13-10-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
awesome ! take lots of photos
Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
CHiMPY
mew?

Car: one with 4 wheels...
Send a message via ICQ to CHiMPY
*waits for updates*

"Verily, thou shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say unto thee, their mouths spout naught but excrement."
CHiMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
so with the rear seats, are you just adding to the stock foam?

and btw, your car looks like you're about to go drag racing
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #9
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
so with the rear seats, are you just adding to the stock foam?

and btw, your car looks like you're about to go drag racing
Yeah just building up from the standard base to form a more hugging rear seat, as youll see in day 2's updates which im about to post up

and yes its good fun belting around town, i never realised how much of a diff you feel....maybe thats just the noise making me feel its going faster aha
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
twilightprotege

it's a good difference.

let's say you've taken out (easily) 100kg. so even with a stock power out put of 100whp, with a car that weighs 1185kg stock, that's 11.85kg per whp. taking out 100kg gives 10.85kg per whp...the equiv of increasing your power to 109.2whp. essentially "free" power!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #11
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
it's a good difference.

let's say you've taken out (easily) 100kg. so even with a stock power out put of 100whp, with a car that weighs 1185kg stock, that's 11.85kg per whp. taking out 100kg gives 10.85kg per whp...the equiv of increasing your power to 109.2whp. essentially "free" power!
Don't tell me that when im adding a fair few kilos of foam & material haha

Hopefully the daily updates will keep everyone interested
Old 10-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #12
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
So whats the final colour u have chosen for the whole interior? I dying to know!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20
So whats the final colour u have chosen for the whole interior? I dying to know!
Fire truck red

Pretty much the same colour the front seats were, but throughout the car.

We will see how it looks, back up plan if it looks too red is to add some red to the exterior in the way of sponsors decals and the like....but that will be decided down the track when the kit goes on (which will be a matter of weeks)
Old 10-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
twilightprotege

take out extra weight while you're at it?

tis looking good! (and mental health times during a build is required!)
Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #15
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
take out extra weight while you're at it?

tis looking good! (and mental health times during a build is required!)
Haha the fact that ive got about 100kg of stereo sitting in the boot at the moment theres no real point, i was close to heading down to t'n't tomorrow night to see how it would go but im gonna spend some after hours on the car so i can get some of the patterns happening so my trimmer has less to do. Ultimately i'd love the have it finished for the weekend, i dont see any reason why we can't..the slow and tedious part will be making the patterns for the rear seats.

So far we've gone alright with mental health, the Accord was killer coz we did it out of the garage so lack of lighting and lack of mechanical knowledge, now we've both got a lot more experience and i love Mazda for making 99% of the car clipped in, i have seriously got about 20 screws, thats for doors, seats, centre console....the accord i filled a jar (and had half a jar left )
Old 11-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #16
Tom
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty 2.5i
dude dude dude!

its gonna be sexxxxxx

-edit-
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2brag
the accord i filled a jar (and had half a jar left )
LoL i so dont get it ay.. you take out heaps, and theres always left overs.. do they like clone themselves as you put them in, so its like you dont put enough back or something? hahaha..
Old 11-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #17
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished product

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #18
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
are you doing the stitching yourself ?
Old 11-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #19
2brag
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogo
are you doing the stitching yourself ?
My mates a professional trimmer, i just like to help out and change my mind along the way

Just about to add todays efforts
Old 12-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #20
Tom
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty 2.5i
coming along very nicely

will have to fly up there and do a shoot me thinks when its done hehe