Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Technology + Gaming

Old 26-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
chewyryce

Car: NA MX5
PC>TV HDMI Cutout

just wondering if anyone here can help me out with a slight problem.
My system is made of:
i7 2.8Ghz
win7
6 gigs ram
64bit system
ATI HD5770 video card

The hdmi cable is connected from the video card to the tv Samsung series 6 LCD

my problem is that whenever i try to watch/listen to anything with audio format it works but it cuts out every few seconds intermittently. ive searched the net for answers and it seems like almost everyone is having the same problem. i've installed realtek audio device as well as AC3 filter. i also have installed CCCPack. could the codecs clash with each other causing it to cut out? ive had this problem ever since i owned the computer which has been about 4 months now. its driving me insane!!

chewy
chewyryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 26-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hey mang,

The ATi audio over HDMI is gay on a 64bit OS for some reason. What I do is disable the onboard audio, install CCC without the audio driver, and then install the Realtek R2.49 audio driver. This method gives you the most options in your playback [eg: 24bit instead of 16bit and additional sound options]. You are still limited to stereo in your windows environment, but you can get Dolby Digital playback with PowerDVD, Media Player Classic - Home Theatre, etc. But if you want it to work better, you need a 32bit OS. This issue goes back atleast 2 years [HD2XXX/3XXX onward], and doesn't seem to have ever been fixed...

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
chewyryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Hey mang,

The ATi audio over HDMI is gay on a 64bit OS for some reason. What I do is disable the onboard audio, install CCC without the audio driver, and then install the Realtek R2.49 audio driver. This method gives you the most options in your playback [eg: 24bit instead of 16bit and additional sound options]. You are still limited to stereo in your windows environment, but you can get Dolby Digital playback with PowerDVD, Media Player Classic - Home Theatre, etc. But if you want it to work better, you need a 32bit OS. This issue goes back atleast 2 years [HD2XXX/3XXX onward], and doesn't seem to have ever been fixed...

Gav.
so i uninstall everything then install in that order yeah? i dont mind stereo sound because i havnt bought myself a sound card or hifi system yet. i'll try this out and see what happens. would it help if i had a sound card and Logitech z-5500 speaker system and just have an optical cable out to that system? ive been meaning to buy a sound system for my room for some time now.

thanks.
Chewy
Old 26-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
chicaboo

Yeah, disable onboard audio in BIOS at bootup, uninstall any sound drivers, and then finish off with CCC and reboot. Install CCC minus the HDMI audio driver, and then install the Realtek ATi HDMI audio driver from their site [the one with the red font]. You may need to reboot again. After this you can choose your bitrate and sound quality in your sound playback properties. Once again you are stuck with stereo unless you use the programs I mentioned. I'm not sure about Media Player and MCE?

The Z-5500s are great for up to a medium sized room, and you will just need a fibre optic cable from the Sammy to the controller hub for the speakers. Hopefully PC games will also output the 5.1 Dolby Digital signal if you have selected it in your game settings.

This all just works a little better with a 32bit OS [you have a bit more control], but the Realtek audio driver regains you some control over sound settings, unfortunately without a nice GUI like you would get with the onboard sound, or from a dedicated sound card. But they are still there.

Gav.
Old 26-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
chewyryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Yeah, disable onboard audio in BIOS at bootup, uninstall any sound drivers, and then finish off with CCC and reboot. Install CCC minus the HDMI audio driver, and then install the Realtek ATi HDMI audio driver from their site [the one with the red font]. You may need to reboot again. After this you can choose your bitrate and sound quality in your sound playback properties. Once again you are stuck with stereo unless you use the programs I mentioned. I'm not sure about Media Player and MCE?

The Z-5500s are great for up to a medium sized room, and you will just need a fibre optic cable from the Sammy to the controller hub for the speakers. Hopefully PC games will also output the 5.1 Dolby Digital signal if you have selected it in your game settings.

This all just works a little better with a 32bit OS [you have a bit more control], but the Realtek audio driver regains you some control over sound settings, unfortunately without a nice GUI like you would get with the onboard sound, or from a dedicated sound card. But they are still there.

Gav.
well that didnt seem to help much. still cuts out. i dont want to go to 32 bit.. it just means that i have to reinstall everything again *sigh*. i'll just keep this problem until i get myself a sound card and system.

thanks for the help Gav

chewy
Old 26-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
chicaboo

No worries mate. Can you tell me the numbers on your HDMI cable please? AW26/28/30 is fine under 1m in length, and you want at least a V1.3 HDMI cable for Dolby Digital sound [which is what the HD5770 puts out]. If you have AW32+ or V1.2X for your cable, I would suspect that is causing your cutouts. Also, do your cutouts continue after a cold start?

Gav.
Old 26-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
chewyryce

um.. i dont know? how do i find that out? i have 2 different hdmi cables. one is connected to the ps3 and the other to the computer.. ive swapped them both around and the sound from computer is still the same. nothing wrong with the ps3
Old 26-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
chicaboo

There should be markings on the cables relating to the cable thickness and revision that I mentioned above. How long are the cables? I had the sound cut out every now and then on my HDMI receiver. It goes out for a second or two, and might do that every 5 to 10 minutes. But it doesn't do it all the time, so I'm not sure if it's the cable or the receiver. Maybe it's having an electrical source too close to the HDMI cable?
Old 26-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
chewyryce

Signalroad 2m

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

the other one is: 2.5m
E74020-C AWM STYLE 20276 80˚C 30V VW-1 HDM

now i didnt pay for any of these so i dont know the actual specs of the Signalroad specs. and also i have the same problem as you.. sometimes it would cut out every so often and then work fine.. but lately it just cuts out randomly.

i dont have anymore information other than those.

thanks
Old 26-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
chicaboo

Signalroad doesn't offer any specs, and the other cables markings don't have the info I'm interested in. A search for the latter cable doesn't find me any specs, but it's a very cheap cable. So it's probably not that great for 1080p and digital sound over 2m...?

Do you have someone nearby that could test a shorter and/or higher quality cable from the PS3 to the TV?
Old 26-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
chewyryce

yeah i can source other cables out. but the ps3 is fine. its the computer to tv that is the problem. i'll try and source another cable out this week.
Old 26-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
RustyKaos

Car: 1998 BA 323 Astina Hardtop
I have had a couple of signal roads before and they only lasted a month so threw them all out. Get some decent cables and a lot of your issues should go away. I highly recommend monster cables but they are expensive but any high grade cable should still work.

Come challenge me. I dare ya.
RustyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
yeh you might need to sell a kidney to pay for decent cables but they usually work good...never had an problems with xbox hdmi cables... but i also dont use my tv for audio very often

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
chewyryce

yeah. ive decided to just go and buy the Z-5500 and sound card instead of wasting my time trying to get the HDMI to work. im having doubts that it wont work anyway. thanks for all the help guys

p.s. it'd be a while till i save up for it. i dont exactly have the funds for a new sound system yet.

chewy
Old 27-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
chewyryce

just realized i has some money in my account and bought myself that Logitech Z-5500 system from Umart. will pick it up tomorrow and plug it in. will keep everyone updated.
Old 28-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #16
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
As far as sound cards go have a serious look at the Asus Xonar.
It has much better sound quality than the Creative X-Fi.
It is also fully capable of upmixing a 5.1 games into DTS digital.
I have two of them, one is in my PC hooked up to my Z-5500's and another in my media center hooked up to a Sony amp and $10000 worth of speakers.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
chewyryce

i dont really play games that much. all i play is CS but i havnt been playing that since after their big update which messed up the whole gaming experience. i mainly use the speakers for general music and movies so i dont need anything high end to do something little.
Old 28-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
Ghoru

razer have a nice videcard....

Old 28-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #19
chewyryce

@ Ghoru - i have a video card.... that isnt the issue.

anyway just connected my new system with a bit of fiddling around trying to get the sound to work... eventually after about an hour i finally got sound out of my computer without cutting out. so i would like to thank you all for your help. sound is not an issue for me anymore .

chewy
Old 28-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
Ghoru

sorry noy videocard i meant sound card