Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 20-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
dru
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mazda Astina BG SP
Send a message via MSN to dru
Sound Deadening The Astina - Worth It?

I really want to cut out some of the unwanted noises you get when driving my astina. You know, the usual road noise and etc. I have 3 weeks holidays with i plan to fix some stuff up on my beast, so I was planning on putting sound deadening in to get rid of some of these noises.

Though, I am on a budget - not tight, but not big enough to justify spending $150 on sound deadening. So i checked out Jaycar and they have stuff thats $16.95 a piece and sheet size is 675 x 330 x 6mm thick (approx) (or $9.95 for 3mm thick stuff).

If i installed this stuff in my 4 doors and bottom of the boot to begin with - would i notice a difference?
Old 20-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
The sound deadening stops vibrations more than noise. They add weight to stop the panels resonating.

Definitely worth doing on the doors , as well as sealing the service holes. It makes a big difference to the speakers as well as blocking some of the unwanted noise.

To get rid of road noise, engine noise etc U use sound barrier underlay. Its usually like compressed shredded felt/cloth with a tar layer in between.

I use this stuff :
http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/sound_proofing.htm

The sound proofing comes in rolls of 1 meter by 1.5 at $45 per roll.

Also make sure you seal the service holes in the boot , and make sure there are no holes in the firewall.
Old 20-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
dru
AstinaGT Regular

Cheers for the info, much appreciated. When i get some more money in I will look at getting some of that stuff...!

So its easy to install? Should i be using something like a glue spray on the door then sticking the sound proofing in?
Old 20-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Dogo

the underlay can be glued or just held in place. Under carpet etc doesnt need anything to hold it in place. In my boot its stiff enough to hold itself up against the walls.
Old 20-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
not to hijack the thread, but i'm gonna be doing the same thing next week (sound deadening/proofing). how would you cover the service holes? 12mm MDF glued in place with silicon glue?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
Dogo

I think I just used 6mm MDF, held in place with tape and deadening matt. It doesnt need to be very strong, the doors wont build up much air pressure at all.

In mine the one service hole couldnt be covered - the hinge of the door pocket lid needed to go into the hole. There's still plenty of bass though

Old 20-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
DavoAust

hmm, that single hole would probably cause a similar effect to a ported sub enclosure

i havent got my hands on it yet, but is the deadening mat sticky on one side or do you use spray on glue?? it seems to conform to the door well. oh, what type of matting is that? its not the one from jaycar (brownbread? i'm looking at it too dru , havent got huge wads of cash to throw at this).
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 20-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
Dogo

the shiny stuff on the door is Dynamat Extreme
http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...roduction.html

And some of Stinger Roadkill - their equivalent deadening sheets that I had lying around.

The matt grey paint around the speaker ( and inside the door but u cant see it ) is G-spot deadening paint I think and some Stinger Roadkill paint - their equivalent that I had lying around !
Old 20-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
dru
AstinaGT Regular

and would it still make a difference if these service holes arent covered? only reason being that I am still fixing my power windows and I dont want to cover the holes up only to need to pull it apart to get in there again.
Old 20-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
dru
AstinaGT Regular

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID= also, that stuff wouldn't be any good?
Old 20-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
DavoAust

if you dont cover the doors you lose the advantage of bass from the sealed airspace.. i'm probably gonna be using the jaycar matting, its much much cheaper than the dynamat/stinger. i just cant justify the price increase for dynamat extreme (best price i found $140~ delivered http://www.ryda.com.au/Dynamat-10435...it-p/10435.htm) to the jaycar matting ($75~ for same area as dynamat pack http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3)

i'm planning to spend less than $100 on the front doors, including buying the deadening and MDF for the service holes and new speaker baffles. i'll go dynamat if it can be proven its twice as good as the jaycar matting..

dogo, did you use matting inside the door as well as on the inside skin? or just the paint?

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT

Last edited by DavoAust; 20-06-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: wrong pricing for dynamat
Old 20-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
dru
AstinaGT Regular

what about the jaycar sound deadening that has bitumen in it? its $19 per roll if you buy 10+
Old 20-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
DavoAust

i'd say it'd be a better heavy duty matting. depends on how good a job you want to do. if you want to do a good job for low price i'd say deaden the outer skin using the bitumen matting and then do the inside skin with the lighter rubbery stuff..

assuming you use 3 sheets of the heavy bitumen deadening (maybe more, i havent taken a good look at the outside skin. may need 4)
5 sheets of rubber deadening.. cost about $150 for all the deadening material. (plus paint if you want it to be perfect)
if you're planning on sealing the holes and making baffles etc as well it'll cost more for the MDF, tape and gasket paper..

thats what i'm planning on doing.. will take a while, but the results should be very good (probably better if i used dynamat etc, but the price would be much higher to get material for inside and outside skins, guesstimate around $250+).

I'm planning on following the same steps as the fhrx studios install example in this section (thread is stickied, take a look)

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT

Last edited by DavoAust; 20-06-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 28-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
milehigheric

Car: mazda astina 323 BG
Anything less than dynamatt extreme is wasting your time. This is scientificaly proven over and over again. Sure, go with the jaycar stuff...but in a week or so when you say your disappointed with the results i willl gladly say i told you so. Check the tut section over at MEA for the sound deadedning topic....

Btw, Dynamat extreme can be picked up for the 200ish mark for 36 square feet. This will get your doors, boot and probably your firewall done

-Eric
milehigheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
dru
AstinaGT Regular

Cheers for the info milehigheric, maybe i will just wait till later when i have more money so i can justify spending that much!
Old 29-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
stock is best

Car: 97' Astina BA Hatch
Having had the dynamat extreme installed in my car recently (only the front doors), i can say its definately worth it..the difference between non-sound deadened and deadened is just amazing...when you've done a door make sure u do the "tap test" on another door and compare it to how ur sound deadened door sounds when u tap it, you'll notice the difference im talking about straight away, and just wait till you hear the difference in the way your music or w/e u else you wanna play sounds....trust me you wont be dissapointed
stock is best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #17
milehigheric

Car: mazda astina 323 BG
Yep, the doors are really a must if you crave any sort of mid-bass. Sealing the service holes and dynamatting the doors are the two best things you can do in car audio to increase quality.

Again, pro retailers such as FHRX, Car tunez, Northfield Maroka can offer good deals on Dynamat bulk packs....and there is always flebay :P

-Eric
milehigheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
tjongdy

Car: BJII J48
I can't remember if this has been mentioned or not, but do any of you know of any dynamat retailers in melbourne?
tjongdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #19
tjongdy

Car: BJII J48
Just looking on ebay, there is this B-Quiet stuff, about $240 for 50sq ft. Its shipped from Canada. Don't know anything about it, just thought i'd mention it and see if anyone knows something about it.
tjongdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #20
FEM

Car: Familia/Astina GTX
Send a message via MSN to FEM
hey all,

looking at doing this myself with the bg, just wondering what the 'service holes' are? what u guys think the best way to deaden the damn drone from the exhaust?

dan

My Story.. http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=394[/CENTER]
FEM is offline   Reply With Quote