Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 13-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Lek

Manual to Auto Gearbox Conversion

Ok I've got a manual 1992 1.8 DOHC Astina with pop up lights and I'm starting to have problems with my clutch etc. It's starting to cost me money. I've been ofered an auto gearbox quite cheap. Will this be an easy enough job to convert and will the performance of the car be the same with the auto gearbox. What problems should I look out for?
Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
it will cost you more than fixing your old gearbox
+
auto box also means loss of performance

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Lek

Actually, it's been given to me free by a friends father, but i'd like to know what these auto boxes are like compared to the manual ones. Are they quiet, jurky or quite smooth while shifting etc.

Last edited by Lek; 13-08-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 13-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
project.r.racing

did you get the gearbox mount, brake+auto fuild reserve tank, ecu, extra throttle cabling to name a few things also with the box? if not, it could be a waste of time. but i'm no expert.

ryan
Old 13-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #5
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
you will need quiet a fair bit more to get the auto box in and running...youll be savin alot more time and money to get the manual gearbox fixed, and its alot better the manuals. ive just done the auto to manual conversion and its 100% better...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
Lek

My friends fathers got a 1994 1.8 Automatic and wants to change to a manual. We have a garage to do the conversion and all is going to be free for me as he's the one who wants the manual gear for his son and I want the auto for my wife. What are the problems with the ECU and other parts?
Old 13-08-2006, 11:17 PM   #7
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lek
My friends fathers got a 1994 1.8 Automatic and wants to change to a manual. We have a garage to do the conversion and all is going to be free for me as he's the one who wants the manual gear for his son and I want the auto for my wife. What are the problems with the ECU and other parts?
Well, the ECUs are different, as the Auto ECU has controls for the gearbox that the manual one doesn't.

If you've got the two BGs (both SOHC 1.8 manual + auto) to do the swap from, that makes it a lot easier. But you'll probably find there's all the differences that dejayryry listed, and maybe driveshafts as well.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
Lek

The guy at the garage seems to think it's quite easy and he's done lots of conversions before on various cars. He said problems usually arrise in the first week. The only thing he doesn't want to convert is the dash display, but I don't think this is nessessary. Oh, he said that there's no ECU unit to worry about in the 1992 model with popup lights. Hmmm ,,,,,,,, Any comments?

Last edited by Lek; 14-08-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 14-08-2006, 03:30 AM   #9
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Well if he thinks theres no ECU unit to worry about, ask him how your car will choose what gear to be in, when to shift up and when to kick down
Hes an idiot
Is your manual a DOHC or SOHC
For the TPS is different as well as the distributor in the auto

Not to mention you will need to swap Radiators when going to auto
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #10
project.r.racing

not only are the dissys different between auto and manual, but between BG and BA too. BG has the older style coil -> cable -> dissy setup. BA has the inbuilt coil into dissy. Even if you do to the swap, you'll need to source the ecu for that current year. as the control for the ignition system is completely different. i have seen dissys and cabling melted and earthed with this method being done wrong.

The BA a 4 different ECUs in it's for years, 2 for manual and 2 for the auto. changed in with either the S2 or S3, i dunno which. your friend need the correct ecu from the correct year model. personally your friend is alittle insame, no one in there right mind you go farking around with a $10,000 car like that normally. as a fellow BA owner and lover. i'm scared for his car.

ryan

Last edited by project.r.racing; 14-08-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 14-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
Lek

We went to the garage yesterday evening and work will start later today. He said it should be no problem as he does gearbox conversions all the time on fords and Mazdas. Work will be finished in about 2 days with a 3 month garantee.
Old 14-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
CHiMPY
mew?

Car: one with 4 wheels...
Send a message via ICQ to CHiMPY
I really hope for your sakes that he does actually know what he is doing, I would hate to see your car dead as a result of some shonky "mechanic"

"Verily, thou shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say unto thee, their mouths spout naught but excrement."
CHiMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #13
Lek

OK, Just returned from the garage and all seems well. I saw all the parts laid out. It's going to be a straight conversion, but mods are to be made of peddles and electrics etc. There was another car which had just been converted. The owner said it was fine. Lets wait and see.
Do you think the gear ratios will be the same with the new auto gearbox. My manual gearbox was about 3000 rpm at 100 km/ph?

Last edited by Lek; 14-08-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 15-08-2006, 03:18 AM   #14
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Why dont you ask the guy doing the conversion if he's done this before
You may have the same ratio but DONT expect similar performance
After all an auto will drain more power than a manual transmission
And your ability to corner as hard will be greatly reduced
Old 15-08-2006, 12:29 PM   #15
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
1st, why didn't you just swap cars and split the difference in price?
2nd, lets say you want to keep your car, you might just end up having to drop your engine with all the peripherals and paraphanailia, and do a direct implant, radiator, ecu drive shafts and all. Might be worthwhile suggestion for your "mechanic" if you run into issues.

Otherwise, good luck, next time sell your car and buy an auto, aves the potential headache, depending on how good you are at buying/selling, might work out cheaper.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #16
Lek

Actually, I've had this car for a long time now so it has sentimental value to me, but now it's time to pass it on to my wife, that's where an auto gearbox comes in.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
Lek

Ok, I've been running with my auto gearbox for about 3 weeks now and all seems fine apart from 2 small problems. The idle is running at 1,600 rpm in p & N, but normal at 850 rpm in D & R and there's a slight oil leakage. Any ideas about the RPM and should I have them put a new seal in the gearbox to stop the slight leak.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #18
project.r.racing

no idea, ask the mechinec that did the job to fix it, he said he knew what he was doing right? and he's done heaps of these conversions before. should be a breeze for him to sort out.

new seal in gearbox should have been done when swapping over boxes.

ryan
Old 11-09-2006, 04:06 AM   #19
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lek
We went to the garage yesterday evening and work will start later today. He said it should be no problem as he does gearbox conversions all the time on fords and Mazdas. Work will be finished in about 2 days with a 3 month garantee.
3 month guarantee
Take it back and say FIX THE DAMN THING
No point whinging to us when you wont have to pay a cent
Im with Ryan