Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > International

Old 28-09-2006, 01:24 AM   #1
323BHP

Send a message via AIM to 323BHP Send a message via MSN to 323BHP
Hello thar, I'm new here

Hey Guys, just found this forum by accident but previously i'd been looking for a car culture for 323's so i signed up right away

Me names Matt, i'm from Surrey, UK, are there many Uk members on here?, I'm a motorsport engineering student and my new 323 will very likely find itself a testbed for what i learn :P

There's so little tuning support for the later models 94-98 but i think the cars are fantastic, i've only ever seen 2 modified ones over here, hopefully i can get some advice from you guys and share some too

I have a '96 1.5i 323 right now but i've just picked up a '98 323 Zxi 2.0l V6 , its not on the road yet as its untaxed and no MOT but in immaculate condition, except the valve lifters(we think) make a tapping sound when you lift off the throttle (any ideas), doesn't seem to affect performance but i'm getting if fixed ASAP anyway

anyways enough about me, may i hear the story from you guys? (is there alot of 323 tuning out there?, meets, shows etc)

Cya around!
323BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 28-09-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Welcome
Yep we have a small contingent of UK members here
Your tapping sound is from your Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (HLAs)
They are lifters which use engine oil to effectively 'pump' them up to eliminate the noises of Solid Lifters and ensure smooth operation
Thay arent to expensive to have fixed (you are able to change only the worn out ones) They wear exponentially when people dont change oil often enough or run with low oil levels
Effectively however the noise is not telling you that they are stuffed BTW
Have fun on your AGT journeys and we look forward to hearing from you more and more
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Welcome aboard, I concur with the HLAs.
Before putting the spanner to it you could change the oil (use a good light oil and give it a bang down your local motorway (no need to speed). The oil will drain out of them when left sitting for a extended periods which is good and bad at the same time. The HLAs only have small oil gallaries and can take 5-10 minutes to fill completly with normal oil pressure
Old 29-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
John

Car: Car
Cant recall where I got this from but....I think it was from a Mazda service buletin posted on the web somewhere (maybe a probe forum ?)

The KF/KL V6 engines not only have hydraulic lifters (HLA's) referred to above, but also a mechanism to control the clearance between the cam gear teeth.
The HLA's remove the valve to cam base circle clearance when they "pump up" with oil. (Source of one type of valve train noise when the lifters dont fill completely with oil)

The zero lash adjuster for the cam gears consists of a "split" gear, with each half of the gear "twisted" by a torsional spring in opposite directions. If the spring weakens (or fails) there can be lash (clearance) between the cam teeth which can sound like a rattle/knock, particularly at low speed/load - it sounds different to the HLA's.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
John

Car: Car
Here's a link about the zero lash gear chatter (sounds like HLA's without oil)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy...obemx/p_p8.htm
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
323BHP

Send a message via AIM to 323BHP Send a message via MSN to 323BHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Here's a link about the zero lash gear chatter (sounds like HLA's without oil)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy...obemx/p_p8.htm
Thanks very much for the info

I shall do a full oil change soon, still deciding wat weight is good though?, see if it stops, if not i'll consult mazda about the new cam gear
323BHP is offline   Reply With Quote