Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #41
ross

Car: 1998 MAZDA 323 BA Series 3 ASTINA
While I'm still getting over the cost shock of the extractor fitting I've noticed the suspension is making noises.

I got lower King springs fitted to drop it 30mm plus a Whiteline rear sway bar and was really happy with everything about it, ride handing and height.

However, only a few weeks later it has a tinny clunking sound at the rear which is getting worse rapidly. And although it might be my imagination, it seems to be harsher in the ride although going around corners doesn't produce any sounds or unexpected movement.

I assume this is shocks? I recall seeing that this is what happens when you just fit lower springs. Unfortunately read that after I got it done, not before.

I got a quote from Capital Steering and Suspension for $1400 for Koni shocks supply and fitted which freaked me out a bit. I'm not used to these car costs so is that reasonable? I'm in Canberra so a bit hard to go shopping around.

Thoughts?
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Could be the swaybar has moved too much to one side, it's not uncommon with the Whiteline bar.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #43
ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Could be the swaybar has moved too much to one side, it's not uncommon with the Whiteline bar.
That would make sense, I'll go out and have a look, thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #44
TheMAN

Car: .
what kind of extractors were you trying to put in? for which car? what engine?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #45
ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
what kind of extractors were you trying to put in? for which car? what engine?
The extractors are Pacemakers, the car is a 1997 series 3 BA hardtop and the motor is a KLDK-R (ex KLDE with a bit of work) from Dancing Duck Performance Initiative.

The non-OEM motor was the problem as the rear outlet was 25mm higher than standard. All fixed now though.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #46
TheMAN

so the pacemakers were for the BA but because your motor is higher, it didn't fit?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #47
ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
so the pacemakers were for the BA but because your motor is higher, it didn't fit?
Yes, that's it
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #48
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
You went to good shop, and that price would reflect the cost of the Konis plus labour, it may be a bit high, but it may include camber bolts to get the alignment right, etc

You may be able to do cheaper by sourcing Konis online, fitting yourself, and then having the car aligned but is it worth the hassle?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #49
ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
You went to good shop, and that price would reflect the cost of the Konis plus labour, it may be a bit high, but it may include camber bolts to get the alignment right, etc

You may be able to do cheaper by sourcing Konis online, fitting yourself, and then having the car aligned but is it worth the hassle?
Aaron, I totally agree. From my motorcycle days, that black art of suspension tuning is something I've stayed away from.

I'm just figuring out now whether the shocks are actually buggered or not. on Mat's advice I opened the boot and jumped up and down in the back and no noise or clunking. Had a look at the sway bar and no bushes out of place or obvious points of impact.

It makes big noise on rough road (say Wentworth Ave in Kingston) but I can drive the whole way home without any obvious clunking at all.

It's a bit hard to get under there without ramps but I think I'm going to have to go to supercheap and get a couple
Old 09-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #50
TheMAN

noise like this can be from the top mounts or drop links

but testing shocks by bounce test isn't for finding noise, but for finding out the dampening effect

my beater corolla has blown shocks all around... if I stand on top of the boot and jump on the car, the whole thing can rock like a boat after I jumped up and down several times... good shocks will let do that!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #51
Kirks

Car: Eunos 800m
Ross. you have pedders springs not kings. and they were pace setter extractors.
im yet to ind a brand of extractor or these cars and engines that just bolts straight in..

Throttle bodys will be done some time soo with the boss happy to contribute to the cause. (Im working as a mechanical engineer/fabricator atm). that oil should be on you doorstep wed or thurs too...
cheers dec
GE Mazda MX6 Road/Track
Ford Fiesta XR4 racecar
GD Mazda MX6t
TE Cortina Wagon
Kirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #52
ross

gearbox issues?

fellas, I've just noticed a gearbox problem. It is slipping out of 5th every now and then. Just cruising along and out it pops. Its happened a half a dozen times of the past couple of weeks.

At first I thought I might have done it with my knee but no such luck. Is this a common issue or major? I don't need big expenses atm but I'd like some understanding of where this is going.

Cheers
Ross
Old 20-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #53
ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirks View Post
Ross. you have pedders springs not kings. and they were pace setter extractors.
im yet to ind a brand of extractor or these cars and engines that just bolts straight in..

Throttle bodys will be done some time soo with the boss happy to contribute to the cause. (Im working as a mechanical engineer/fabricator atm). that oil should be on you doorstep wed or thurs too...
cheers dec
Thanks Dec, all good.
Old 20-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #54
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
fellas, I've just noticed a gearbox problem. It is slipping out of 5th every now and then. Just cruising along and out it pops. Its happened a half a dozen times of the past couple of weeks.

At first I thought I might have done it with my knee but no such luck. Is this a common issue or major? I don't need big expenses atm but I'd like some understanding of where this is going.

Cheers
Ross
I'd asume internals of the gearbox are on the way out, if that's the case at least 5th is easily replacable with 5th from a 626 or MX-6. Clean Cookie or Rupe should be able to offer a clearer opinion.
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #55
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Either worn gearbox bushes, or the secondary shaft inside the box is bent, or maybe the fluid is low.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #56
ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Either worn gearbox bushes, or the secondary shaft inside the box is bent, or maybe the fluid is low.
Once again you are spot on, low fluid. Why, who knows?

thanks very much