Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Bodykits & Exterior

Old 17-10-2004, 10:39 PM   #41
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityEnd
wow, any entreperneurs out there? sounds like a great idea, you don't need tint at night.. and the technology is out there already, just need to apply it to the flim.
umm no - its not going to work i'm afraid

ok basic problem, to start with you can't use a poloarising film on an automotive glass - its actually quite unsafe - GM used to make polarised windscreens, at a time when polaroid sunglasses were in high demand... basically what happened, was they recalled all the screens, as when the two polarising films crossed at 90 they would cause black

if you had a polarising films and polarising sunglasses you will not be able to turn your head away from the natural 180degree axis, which will be anytime you look over your shoulder, you will see black

now onto photochromic films, - this would actually be a problem on a few levels... most photochromic materials fail quite quickly, especially when exposed to the sun constantly - if i was a tinter i wouldn't touch the stuff due to a lot of cars being parked outside during the sun hours - when most of these products fail, they stay in their dark state

second the photochromatic film would need to be quite thick to to the job properly, - too thick to apply to a screen

and since i'm on a roll this film would need to really be setup in much the same way as corning sunsensors, whereby the film would start out at a darkness of 45 and go to 30... not really worth the cash - and i'm sure the cops would have a field day on the varying tint!!! especially that light bit... over there in the shade!!!
Old 18-10-2004, 06:48 PM   #42
CityEnd

Car: .
ah, thanx ahb11m,
you have a few good ponts there.

back to the drawing board. =)
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 09:16 PM   #43
tinter

Car: Liberty GT and SP23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Frog
okay i'm prob getting all windows done for $150 by a guy from solace. probably 10% below legal limit (40% i think). is this good? or does it sound dodgy/ripoff?
what's the diff b/t norm and metal tint?
G'day Frog,
Let me say that if you are buying an intensely labour orientated and extremely skilled job for those good at it like window tinting and only paying $150, then pray to god that the guy doesn't give up his day job.

Add to that is the cost of the film material if you are going to buy quality. Again in the realm you are at, you are at the bottom end of the barrel (fact).

All the signs are there for a suspect job because no ethical and decent installer/shopowner would ever condone the fitting of illegal films that void your insurance and state laws. No this is not a good idea to go illegal!

In Sydney, contact the Solartint chain, head office is in 148 Taren Point Rd. Caringbah Ph. 9526 2888 for memory and they have branches selling terrific metal films like the USA's Madico Onyx 35% all over Sydney. Owner...Gary Lane or one of his soldiers.
(www.solartint.com.au)

Metal offers high performance, better heat rejection and longer life. Dyed films only offer cosmetics.

Regards,
Rob at Car Tint Melb.
Old 18-10-2004, 09:34 PM   #44
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
Stickified !

Thanks for the fantastic advice and feedback.

Dave
Old 19-10-2004, 04:02 PM   #45
DCSR

Car: 2001 Laser
Send a message via MSN to DCSR
Hi Tinter,

Ford tinted my windows when i bought my Laser, (i noticed you say don't get car dealers to do it) i read that too late im affraid. I asked them for the darkest tint the offer, also stating i Wanted 35% film, i got the car and the tint to me doesn't seem that dark, how do i find out how dark my tint it?

To get 35% tint now, would i have to have ALL of the tint removed first then re-apply the new tint?

Cheers
Dave
Old 19-10-2004, 09:55 PM   #46
tinter

Hi Dave,
You could check with one of the Solartint branches and ask if they have a VLT meter? (Visible light transmission)
This is a gadget that is placed over the the glass when it is wound down some and reads the vlt that passes through the glass and film.

Has it been on long? I ask this because it may have dramatically faded from new and is nothing like it originally was.
Fade or colour loss can be such a gradual thing that many owners don't realise it has happened. A bit like purple tint that was once grey and everyone thinks you buy it like that. :roll:
Rob.
Old 19-10-2004, 09:56 PM   #47
tinter

Sorry your Q...yes it would have to be R and R'd.
Rob.
Old 20-10-2004, 07:32 AM   #48
DCSR

Car: 2001 Laser
Send a message via MSN to DCSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinter
Hi Dave,
You could check with one of the Solartint branches and ask if they have a VLT meter? (Visible light transmission)
This is a gadget that is placed over the the glass when it is wound down some and reads the vlt that passes through the glass and film.

Has it been on long? I ask this because it may have dramatically faded from new and is nothing like it originally was.
Fade or colour loss can be such a gradual thing that many owners don't realise it has happened. A bit like purple tint that was once grey and everyone thinks you buy it like that. :roll:
Rob.
Only got it new in Feb 2002 and had the tint put in at that time.

Dave
Old 20-10-2004, 03:34 PM   #49
Cloudland

Car: 2001 SP20
Send a message via MSN to Cloudland
Quote:
my last question... i got my tint from tint-a-car and it was the "F1" flim.... i have no idea what that is.. could you tell me more abt it?
Hi CityEnd, i also went to tint-a-car (in New Zealand) and got a quote, $349 for the f1, $299 for ashcool. how do U like your f1? since tinter said it's not the most cost-effective, i just started wondering.
Old 20-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #50
tinter

Dave,
Your car is getting on for 3 years old and it certainly could have faded out in that time. Matter of fact, I've seen junk go towards clear within 12 months.
Rob.
Old 21-10-2004, 02:22 PM   #51
CityEnd

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudland
Quote:
my last question... i got my tint from tint-a-car and it was the "F1" flim.... i have no idea what that is.. could you tell me more abt it?
Hi CityEnd, i also went to tint-a-car (in New Zealand) and got a quote, $349 for the f1, $299 for ashcool. how do U like your f1? since tinter said it's not the most cost-effective, i just started wondering.
lets just say i wouldn't get it again... nothing bad with it.. but there isn't anything good with it either... and after almost 5 yrs, it seems to have faded. if i were to get another tint, i think I'd go for the metalic mirror finished look. but that's just me.
i did't know much abt tints when i got mine, but with rod here I"m sure u'll get something resonable.
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2004, 05:22 PM   #52
Cloudland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityEndlets
just say i wouldn't get it again... nothing bad with it.. but there isn't anything good with it either
ugh... really appreciate that.
Old 21-10-2004, 05:24 PM   #53
Cloudland

Quote:
Rob.
Hi Rob

would you please recommend some widely available good tints if tint-a-car's f1 is not the better choice? and what's a reasonable price to tint a car like the sp20? thanks.
Old 21-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #54
tinter

What state are you located in Cloud? Then I'll tell you where to go and what product to buy.......and give me an idea on how you want the car to look with film on it because some finishes dramatically alter the aesthetics.
Rob.
Old 21-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #55
Cloudland

Quote:
What state are you located in Cloud?
that's a problem i'm in New Zealand.

legal limit here is also %35 side n rear, 10cm from top on the windshield. i just want a tint which can reduce uv and heat, probably black in color, nothing fanncy. thanks!
Old 21-10-2004, 10:09 PM   #56
tinter

NZ hey?
Well I know a lot of the product I use is exported to NZ so it would be a matter of contacting Solartint in Sydney head office and sole agent for A/Asia on www.solartint.com.au and ask for their agent that sells Madico film (the manufacturer) in NZ.
The product you want is Madico's high performance metal tint called "ONYX 35% True Black" scratch-resistant.

It's a terrific product, well priced and does a great job in cooling down the solar heat gain.

Cheers,
Rob.
Old 24-10-2004, 12:18 AM   #57
Cloudland

Quote:
NZ hey?
The product you want is Madico's high performance metal tint called "ONYX 35% True Black" scratch-resistant.
It's a terrific product, well priced and does a great job in cooling down the solar heat gain.
ugh, yum. that sounds like what i'm looking for.

but they don't have an email on their website!? i'll try to find out who has it here.

any idea of a reasonable price for the tint? thanks.
Old 24-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #58
tinter

Cloud,
I'm trying to get you a name now for someone in NZ. Just be a little patient.
Rob.
Old 24-10-2004, 09:39 PM   #59
Dutchy

Car: BG Astina SP Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Dutchy
hey rob

thanx for takin the time to answer all our q's. Its great! i knew NOTHIN about tinting before this. :?:

Neway i got a hopefully quick question... i had my 'stina tinted at 35% and on some of the windows and really badly in the corners on the back they have got some tiny little specks/bubbles on them on them. In the corners or the rear windscreen it looks like they havnt been cleaned off proprely before tinting. ops:

So i took the car down to the tinting place and asked them what it was?
The guy (Who i think was a bit dodgy) who i asked said that what it would be is "specks of metal that had probably come from welding in the factory or at a later date, which cause a little rise in the tint" he said that he reckons almost all cars get it. :?

Like i said before i thought he was a little dodge... So have i been fed a load of tripe? :shock: hehe :lol:

thanx mate

Jez
Old 24-10-2004, 10:01 PM   #60
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
dave, anyplace that can do pink slips in NSW will have a VLT meter, as it is now part of your pink slip (which i know you won't need for a while yet)