Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 25-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Banana_Chick

Car: Astina 2L Hatch
97 Astina V6 Light Bulb problem

Hi All!

I have been experiencing short life spans of my driving light bulbs. This is the 3rd time I need to replace the bulb on the same side in a year. I have rotated around different brand of bulbs but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Any ideas what I should check for before replacing it with another new bulb?

While I'm on the topic of lights, is it just me or the Astina 323 Hardtop's V6 ('97) headlights generate poor visiabilty? The lights that I use are 12V 55W ones and they just don't seem strong enough

Any feedback, would be great.

Thanks.
Banana_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
Tublade
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty GT
i've had the same visiablity problem with my hardtop too, still working out my new headlights at the moment.

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbgar...do=view&id=577
Tublade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
commsguy71

Could earth/connections be loose or have dust in them, causing intermittent contact on that lamp only?

Or could there be moisture getting into it from somewhere?

Worth a check I guess before you go crazy...

I've only had my v6 hatch a week, and I agree the lights were built for fashion not function. Perhaps worth trying some of those new halogen globes from Philips which supposedly give 50% more brightness without increasing wattage?

Hope this is of some help.
commsguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Banana_Chick

At least I know I not alone ;-)

Yeah I thought it might be a moisture problem, just not too sure how to check that though.

I have tried other blue halogen globes from K-Mart which were better than the standard white ones, but not much difference. I'd to hear if anyone else has tried the Phillips lights? Don't want to purchase something more expensive if it doesnt help much.
Old 25-05-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
It sounds like an earthing problem. Those blue globe wont do you any good. They will proberlbly last a week if you use them. The Earth/negative wiring needs to be replaced with new wire.

Ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
Any one got any suggestions for cheaply upgrading the V6 hardtop Light?

cause yeah I thought I had bad eyes,

seen kits go for around $500 but I ain't that keen,
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 01:11 PM   #7
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
FYI,
I do have a problem with my internal light it doesn't work for a week or two and comes back, maybe your globes might the same thing. Esp if replacing globes seems to have no effect.

Are the globes actually broken inside ?(not sure if you can see or not)
If not prob just conetions so dont throw your globes out just yet.

and welcome to the new V6 people,

Have a good look round and do some searches some very usefull info in here about what ever,

Check the cruise section as well/
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
silver6

Car: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to silver6 Send a message via MSN to silver6 Send a message via Yahoo to silver6
I use Narva Artic Blue globes, Lights up pretty well.
You may also need to adjust your beam angles.
Old 27-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
I use the Philips Blue Vision globes.. they're not all that they cracked up to be..

I would recommend the Narva +50's [ i think BigMal uses them actually ] and i'll be replacing my current ones with these when they eventually die.. *waiting patiently*

Either that or fork out for a HID kit..

AP

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
Banana_Chick

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advise, really appreciate it! I will take up your advice Silver6 about the Artic globes. I'm pretty sure that I have tried these before, but can't remember the name . They were the blue ones though, and I got them from K-Mart. Do they sound like the ones?

I'm not too sure how to check the earthing of the globes. Is that one of the wires that come out of the globe itself or the light unit? I want to make sure I do things right before I buy a new set of globes.

Also, what do you guys mean by a new kit costing $500. Is that the hole light unit component? Is it really worth it?

I also been meaning to ask, does anyone have any tips or instructions on how to adjust the alignment of the lights (normal driving lights)? I probably tried adjusting the lights for 1 hour and it was hardly moving anywhere! In the end I ended up stuffing up the the high beam alignment!

I dont know if its just me, but anything to do with lights replacement/adjustment seems so hard because it's so crammed in there!!

Any help would be great guys!

Thanks,
Ana

Last edited by Banana_Chick; 27-05-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 28-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
W.A.I.

Car: BA Hardtop
ya.. i have the same lighting problem too. i have a hardtop 1.8 which the lights are the same.. i think
anyways.. i ended up got used to the poor vision when driving. even i am now using the philips blue vision.. they are not any better still
At the mean time, i put some foggies on.. they are not used often coz they are too bright when they are on.. so... i only use them when there is absolutely no street lights or cars what-so-ever... which is usually at the mounts at nighttime.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #12
Banana_Chick

Fog lights too bright? I must be missing something here... With my headlights and fog lights on - I still cant see properly. I've just accepted that my lights are crap! I'm still trying to find where I can get a pair of Narva +50's globes... Does anyone know of a place where I can get them in Melbourne? I've been to Kmart and Supercheap Auto, and they don't stock Narava's. I've also been to the Narva web site and couldnt find the H1's (I think that's what i use) in their stock listing catalogue.

Im still stumped as to how I change the alignment of my headlights. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #13
CityEnd

Car: .
this link will show u how to adjust your headlights
http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2272

since you're in melb, I'll give you a hand if you want, and you can check out my headlights too.
i also have a hardtop
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote