Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 21-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
OMG teh Copz are everywarez!!!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...733764512.html

Quote:
MAURICE John has learned a useful lesson — don't sing when you get a canary.

The car-crazy 22-year-old from St Albans collected a police "major defect notice" in South Yarra that deemed his Nissan 200 SX convertible unroadworthy. The yellow notice — known as a "canary" — was stuck to his windscreen by Acting Sergeant James Robbins of the Stonnington traffic management unit.

John got pinged for two bald tyres at 11pm on August 12 last year at a roadblock in Chapel Street, but Acting Sergeant Robbins generously gave him an hour to get home rather than have his car towed away.

John stupidly didn't take up the chance, choosing instead to drive on and party on.

Unbeknown to police, John was a disqualified probationary driver who gave a false name.

Two days later, under his user-name MR-GTIR/S15, John shared his Saturday night experience with users of the nissansilvia.com car club internet chat room and boasted of his getaway.

He wrote: "Saturday night, cruising through Chaps looking for a car park so I can go 2 Chasers! The usual cops that are always kickin back in front of Chasers/KFC, wasting taxpayers money … "I got done for having 2 semi-racing slicks on the back which were a little bit bald! Motherf---ers. It was 11pm. The officer gave me till midnight to get the car home or it would have to be towed! I tried negotiating with him 2 let me drive it tomorrow, but didn't happen.

"Anyways they let me go. I was more pissed off that I had 2 go home & get another car when Im in front of my destination.

"So, instead I go around the block & park in the multi-level car park behind KFC … Walked straight in and rocked all night!"

John signed off by revealing that he peeled off the notice and "then busted home!"

It was revealed yesterday in Melbourne Magistrates Court that among the visitors to the chat room was the diligent Acting Sergeant Robbins, who regularly scans such sites as part of the unit's investigative work.

When John pleaded guilty to five offences — including two charges of driving while disqualified — his lawyer Tony Danos said Acting Sergeant Robbins recognised his client "as the one he pulled up the night before".

Mr Danos said John should have known better, but decided to "have an evening out and boast about it on the website, which brought him undone".

Magistrate Angela Bolger said driving while disqualified was regarded as a contempt of the law and a prison sentence was mandatory for a second offence.

John was jailed for one month, the term suspended for 12 months, fined $400 and had his licence cancelled for a year.

"We all await with interest the posting tonight on the web," Ms Bolger commented.

John, who regards himself as a "spirited driver" rather than a hoon, later told The Age he was "shattered".

"There's a lot of people who will say bad luck, but (Acting Sergeant Robbins) got me off the road so, well done, he caught me," he said.

Acting Sergeant Robbins told The Age the unit monitored car club websites as an intelligence-gathering exercise to follow car modifications, user conversations and to "monitor specific individuals".
Asshat.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
coley

Car: astina
Send a message via MSN to coley
omg they could be watching now *looks around*...........goes and hides in the corner
coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
AstinaBoiV6

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to AstinaBoiV6
thats just gay.. why do they need to monitor modifications. this is just getting ridiculous. im sick of cops in qld hiding behind bushes to catch speeders. i liked it when i was in NSW and they told u they were using cameras. way better. they should stick to doing their jobs not pestering every1 everywhere. the whole cop thing just turned into a whole sneaky and deceptive cesspool since a few years ago.

if cops are reading this well.... I have been involved in and will be involved in multiple illegal driving offences. but thats just me typing it. who knows it might not even be me. just because i say it dosnt make it true i could be talking crap. so come arrest me piggys..

Team AJ Member PM 4 details
AstinaBoiV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
'John' is a retard of the heighest order.
Not only do the police monitor sites like ours but so do insurance companies and anyone with an interest.

It aint rocket surgery
Old 21-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Savvyfx
Awesome Member

Car: .
Yeah, you bag them until you need them. These laws are here for the safety of others. I think the cops did a good job.

They need to monitor modifications so that the cars people drive at high speed aren't unsafe for the millions of others that use the roads.
Savvyfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
skitz
I'm not as dumb as my posts would indicate

Car: astina ba 97
Send a message via MSN to skitz
i know it isnt really that relivant but have a look at this

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1560/lot...sw-police-car/

Quote:
" “There is no doubt that the Lotus will be highly visible and generate public interest, it will assist us operationally by promoting our road safety crime prevention messages to a targeted group of offenders.”
“Giving youth the chance to realise that police are real people and have a job to do is an important part of our work, and if the Lotus can help us achieve that then it will be an asset during its time with us,” Superintendent Dave Darcy"

Quote:
" “The Lotus Exige will help break down barriers between our officers and youth in the area, it gives them a discussion point and a way of breaking the ice. We have a large proportion of car enthusiasts in the area and it is a challenge to influence them to drive safely.

Whilst its easy to give this group tickets to slow them down we would prefer to influence young drivers to take care on the roads. I see that the use of the new Lotus Exige police vehicle will break down barriers allowing us to get our safety messages through.” said Superintendent Darcy."

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Wakefield Park: 1:14.8100

Last edited by skitz; 21-02-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: adding
skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
A Lotus Exige? What a splendid use of tax payers money... Let's get Bentley's for our politicians too, it's a tough job, and we need to relate to them more as real ppl...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
skitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
A Lotus Exige? What a splendid use of tax payers money... Let's get Bentley's for our politicians too, it's a tough job, and we need to relate to them more as real ppl...
hey man if u read the site u will reallize that it didnt come from tax's

Quote:
I thought the FPV Typhoon police cars were enough, but no, Lotus of all manufacturers, has donated a Lotus Exige to the NSW Police department (are they hiring? Cause I’d love to drive around in an Exige all day).

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 21-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
chicaboo

I donated $130 and 3 points when a stupid ignorant prick was shooting a car over and behind me on a hill, so aren't I wonderful???
Whatever, I guess I fund all sorts of BS directly OR INDIRECTLY that I don't agree with...

I am by no way against police that do their job to the letter as I'm expected to in my workplace. However pricks that make **** up to meet their quota aren't worth pissing on.

EDIT: Upon reading, I found the following statements:
"The Lotus Exige, a lightweight, high performance car will be used by Bankstown Local Area Command for a number of community policing roles over the next six months, including most importantly, helping to build better relations between police and local performance car enthusiasts and youth."

We then see a picture of it being used on the side of the road to pull ppl over for some reason *cough, hasseling ppl cause they've got shiny wheels and car is lowered! cough*. I hate having pedestrian hazards created by police as part of their regular community service duties...

"This is no toy car, the The police Lotus Exige features full NSW Police livery and is equipped with a removable emergency light system that can be used when it is at particular operations such as random breath test and radar sites throughout the Bankstown Local Area Command." Oh, there we go. While they've got the car for the 6 months it is on LOAN to them, it's going to be used for revenue raising *cough, hasseling ppl cause they've got shiny wheels and car is lowered! cough*, Thank you...

Someone please tell me how this car will be seen as promoting a stronger bond between car enthusiasts while it's still used for the above? I didn't bother to quote how the article also focused on the performance of the vehicle compared to their V8s, which was obviously a consideration as part of their community bonding requirements.

Last edited by chicaboo; 21-02-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
Beckie
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astra
Send a message via MSN to Beckie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstinaBoiV6 View Post
thats just gay.. why do they need to monitor modifications. this is just getting ridiculous. im sick of cops in qld hiding behind bushes to catch speeders. i liked it when i was in NSW and they told u they were using cameras. way better. they should stick to doing their jobs not pestering every1 everywhere. the whole cop thing just turned into a whole sneaky and deceptive cesspool since a few years ago.

if cops are reading this well.... I have been involved in and will be involved in multiple illegal driving offences. but thats just me typing it. who knows it might not even be me. just because i say it dosnt make it true i could be talking crap. so come arrest me piggys..
hey dude i think that's the wrong attitude to take...
I agree with I don't like police hiding behind bushes etc to catch you out, and i agree that a lot of the places they hide aren't actually going to stop accidents...but yea..still the wrong attitude to be posting up in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvyfx View Post
Yeah, you bag them until you need them. These laws are here for the safety of others. I think the cops did a good job.

They need to monitor modifications so that the cars people drive at high speed aren't unsafe for the millions of others that use the roads.

in agreeance with this - sure a lot of the qld ppl have seen me drive and probably cringe when i get behind the wheel...but still. when you need a cop, you're more than happy to see them. deep down i don't think they're as bad as everyone makes out... and in this instance, i think they did the right thing...who the f*ck would post up something like that!!! it just has TOOL written all over it seriously.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
skitz

its to get them more down to earth and feel what we feel etc and yes if we are braking the law they will still book us because WE ****ed up they are just doing there jobs NO ONE made those ppl ILLEGALLY lower there cars or put ILEGALL sized rims on it. it is there own fault if they get court. if no one broke the law then there would be no cops.
i think it is cool. lol if i got pulled over by it while there were walking around my car taking details etc i would be walking around there car :P

u really have somthink about authority figures gav :P

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 21-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #12
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz View Post
its to get them more down to earth and feel what we feel etc and yes if we are braking the law they will still book us because WE ****ed up they are just doing there jobs NO ONE made those ppl ILLEGALLY lower there cars or put ILEGALL sized rims on it. it is there own fault if they get court. if no one broke the law then there would be no cops.
i think it is cool. lol if i got pulled over by it while there were walking around my car taking details etc i would be walking around there car :P

u really have somthink about authority figures gav :P
Kyle, the day I got a LEGAL 35mm lowering, LEGAL 3.5" tip (passed every defect attempt), LEGAL 17" wheels and tyres, I became a target for police! I did not change as a person, I just tried to beautify my car... How do you reckon I felt about that? And they tell me an expensive car on loan for 6 months that WILL be used to raise revenue is going to strengthen bonds with the car enthusiasts community? I don't think so Tim...

Yes I do have issues with self appointed authority figures. If you work for the government you are a public servant, not a public authority. That does not take any respect away from the good work they do, only the actions and attitude some direct at me and others for trying to have a more unique car do that... Atleast it's not all of them, but a staggering amount unfortunately.

Last edited by chicaboo; 21-02-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: incoherrent babble
Old 21-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #13
skitz

okay point made i can see where ur coming from there

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 21-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz View Post
okay point made i can see where ur coming from there
Cheers cuz, I just get frustrated being blatently followed and then pulled over to lose 15 minutes of my time so they can go around my car actively trying to defect me. I could understand if a bro went past with a Pssssht and big gay GT wing with the car obviously lower than legal road height that has many illegal visual modifications...

I truely feel in the scope of works that the police can provide to the community, hasseling ppl with legal modifcaions is the greastest waste of resources available to us. Gee, it almost seems more police are dedicated to revenue raising via hidden speed cameras and trying to defect obviously legal cars, than are allocated to patrolling the cities and high crime areas for our safety or responding to emergency or criminal reports (I live in Logan, I KNOW!)...

Please don't incorrectly associate my comments with "police have difficult jobs and they see horrible accidents", etc... That IS NOT what I am having an objection with. If their focus is truely on road safety (in this case), I completely disagree with the methods they use to fullfill their goals and objectives... Why do I still see dungas driving around with wobbly wheels and loose panels blowing smoke? Thanks to the low price of cars that's not as bad as it used to be... But I don't think 3 year old cars with light legal mods should be targeted like they are.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #15
89sp1.8

Car: bg astina
Send a message via MSN to 89sp1.8
meh,police are just like everyone else..its just another job..just like any other job,there are going to be a couple that dont do there job properly or are a/holes..
but in my opinioin its not fare to be a cop hater..i mean for eg. im a tiler..now if someone got there house tiled by some dodgy tiler that ripped them off and didnt do the job properly..is it fair of them to start hating on all tilers?

i have had incidents where i have talked to real nice down to earth police..and others where they werent..
etc etc..just my 2c
89sp1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 02:35 AM   #16
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

Car: '96 Mazda Hardtop 323 Beast-Version
I think its pretty simple - If you wanna go hundreds of kilometres ova tha speed limit - thats cool - but keep it to tha track. Its much more fun and its designed fo that. Means your a better driver than if you can "DOOO A BURNOUT".
It might feel cool to you now . . . . but when you kill my four year old sister - then you'll finally be tha big man you've always wanted to be.
Cop should check sites fo wankas like that - I mean its like a free ticket.

Having said that - cops that pull Peepz ova fo having complety legal modifed cars?? Wtf - there is nothing wrong wit enjoyin tha look and style of cars and enjoying cars in general. If your not breaking tha law then you should'nt be pulled ova because of Prejudice. Do cops goto peoples houses just coz they have put new roofing on? Nope - but practically its tha same thing - not exactly tha same - that would be a bit rich - but you get tha idea.

I dunno - it might just be too late fo me - i might need a coffee

Maybe cops should just be prejudice to Commadore drivers . . . . :P :P

I told you it was simple - So simple that Rupe summed it up in 1 word - Asshat.

Heb

Tha Hardtop Beast -- Gallery
Hebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 06:52 AM   #17
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb_Az323 View Post
Having said that - cops that pull Peepz ova fo having complety legal modifed cars?? Wtf - there is nothing wrong wit enjoyin tha look and style of cars and enjoying cars in general. If your not breaking tha law then you should'nt be pulled ova because of Prejudice. Do cops goto peoples houses just coz they have put new roofing on? Nope - but practically its tha same thing - not exactly tha same - that would be a bit rich - but you get tha idea.
I guess the problem for the cops is "what's legal" when it cruises past?

Oddly I've never had a problem with modified cars and cops - but I can understand why they'd be looking at forums, especially when you read/hear about some things people do. There's plenty of US cases I've read about where people take their road car and physically remove most of the metal crash structures etc to drop weight, bolt in insanely powered motors and don't even look at the brakepads etc.

Without a doubt there's some real f&^%$head enthusiasts outthere, and yes there's some cops that aren't the best, but considering they have a job to uphold a community standard (if we want that changed we need to play politics, not just complain on forums) which defines our hobby/interest as being likely to fall foul of the law then it's pretty much to be expected is it not?

No different to racial profiling really.

A.
Old 22-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
AstinaBoiV6

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to AstinaBoiV6
I Agree with Gav... Cops should be more concerned with getting the rust buckets off the road and patrolling the streets looking for suspicious characters than worrying about my 17" mags which are exact rolling diameter to standard 14".

No one start on exhausts lol because i have been pulled over by a cop before and he mentioned the exhaust and then a big old V8 went past with that VROOM GLUG GLUG noise it makes and when i asked him about why thats legal he said its factory.. obviously he don't know sh*t..

i understand if you're a dick like beckie said then u should get caught but if you're just beautifying your car like the rest of us or hell putting a few performance parts on its because you get the joy from doing it and having something you know is fast but not necessarily use for illegal activities.

And yer that lotus is just a big waste of time.. ooo a lotus wow im impressed the boundaries have just been broken between me and police... Whats next, a undercover supra???

Team AJ Member PM 4 details
AstinaBoiV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #19
skitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstinaBoiV6 View Post
And yer that lotus is just a big waste of time.. ooo a lotus wow im impressed the boundaries have just been broken between me and police... Whats next, a undercover supra???
i thought they already did that sort of thing undercover XR6-T, WRX's etc...

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Old 22-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #20
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
in melbourne they have anythin under cover...stuff like wrx sti, mr2 and all the japstuff...and they get the race them and then pull up behind ya and get ya for racing...sneaky but in a way its for the better...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote