Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 27-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
sublime boy

Car: 2003 sp20
sp20 turbo kits

hey all

im all new to this... im used to modifying motobikes, neways are there any turbo kits for sp20's? plz let me no!
sublime boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 27-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
LordWorm

Car: .
There sure are.... the most popular kit would be from hiboost, but these don't really offer much in the way of earth shattering power. Turbos are undersized for the application, manifold is a cast log mani, and so forth. They do offer a few upgraded options though.

You may be able to find a second hand Mental Addiction Motorsport (MAM) kit floating around the US forums (mazdas247.com). No chance of a new one since MAM went out of business.

Another option would be a stock US Mazdaspeed Protege turbo kit - available from just about anyone who has upgraded their set up in the states, or from sleepy on these forums who has the full kit i believe, minus the turbo itself.

Depending on what kind of power you are chasing, it may be better to build or have built a complete kit from scratch. At least then you only buy what you are going to use, and nothing that you are not.

Bare in mind the FSDE engine is fairly weak. The block itself, and the crank are bulletproof (guys have pushed over 600hp through them in purpose built FWD drag cars), but the rods especially have a tendency to break under the smallest amount of power. You should look at doing rods and pistons prior to turbo charging an FS engine, even if you only intend on running low boost.

You will also need some form of engine management - aftermarket would be the best way to go, given that the MSP ecu would not be a straight drop in (crank and cam angle sensors are different, as well as a few other differences). Limited slip diff upgrade would also be a must, along with engine mounts and possibly an upgraded 3rd gear from PAR.

Its not impossible, but it will take a fair chunk of change to achieve. There are a few options out there for you to explore though

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
FOX33N
AstinaGT Regular

Car: a Car
In the US they have a the 2.0L mazdspeed protege's which came out turbo, But there engines were built and designed for the amount of power.
Standard 2.0L Engines in the SP20;s Were designed not to hold that power.
If you wanna turbo, you will need ALOT of Hard Work, Money, & time - you will pretty much need to re-consruct your engine.

My Advise, Unless you Dont want to take off hard or go over 8psi boost pretty much just have it for show go trubo it, -But you will have the chance of hurting your engine. If you plan on having fun with the car after - buy a 200sx of car that was ment for turbo.

My advise anyways..

END RANT.
FOX33N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
actually the mazdaspeed protege wasnt designed for more power. same rods and pistons as the regular americano protege, however trhey have no timing and run very very rich.

there's always the option of staying NA and I have proven a every day street astina can go 14.5 down the 1/4 which is no slouch, and i havent even touched the rods and pistons (yet....)

or there's n2o for weekend fun.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
Buy mine!

Plenty of turboed proteges in north america, whether Mazdaspeed or aftermarket. Search around the forums for info. Basically though, 6-8psi is fairly safe with 10psi(~150wkw) generally considered the maximum with a basic kit, before needing to spend alot more money on supporting mods(rods, injectors, clutch etc).
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote