Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Closed Thread

Old 28-04-2005, 05:10 PM   #81
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
If you guys can hold off for a while I might be able to get you all the MicroTech gear alot cheaper than anywhere else can provide it. I have started my inquires and will let you know. And I'm not talking about saving a few dollars. I'm talking about saving hundreds of dollars. ONLY THE ECUs/CONTROLLER OKAY, not installation or dyno okay.

Ryan
Old 28-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #82
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Yeah that sounds great. Especially since the hand controller can hold 4 maps. But Archie wasn't keen on doing different tunes when I spoke to him last year. His view was that he could do a one tune suits all scenario...
I have a laptop, what are the benefits of this apart from the cable is cheaper than a hand controller? Can't exactly drive enthusiastically with a laptop in the car anyway...

Gav.
Old 28-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #83
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
personally i'd only like 2 tunes. one for pure fuel economy, 1 for pure power.

keep us posted ryan - any idea on a time frame?
Old 28-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #84
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Yeah, just do 1 map per car and then you'll be on your own, for those of you that purchase cables/controllers, you will evently learn how to use them and create you own maps and save them into the controllers.

Andy: -
Yeah mate, I'll be getting rid of the fuel saver 1 and changing it to a wet-weather setting, limiting power for a second or 2 to stop wheel spin in wet.

Gav: -
Benefits for Dash Mount Screen:- map storage, mobile, 1 touch turning, eyes still on the road.

Benefits for hand controllers are: - 4 map storage, mobile, 1 touch tuning.

Benefits for Laptops are: - unlimited map storage, but you can only have 1 map in ECU at a time, so if you disconnect the laptop, you cant change maps with mobile.

Gav, only 1 benefit for laptop versions.

Ryan

Last edited by project.r.racing; 28-04-2005 at 08:10 PM. Reason: ???
Old 02-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #85
anton

Send a message via MSN to anton
This doesnt really have anything to do with the thread but just thought I'd say it was good to finally get to meet a few other members from AGT. Met up with Gav and a few of his mates along the Espy in surfers , after there many attempts to stop me. Sorry again about that guys but in the end I eventually stopped after someone yelled out my name. I gotta say I didnt miss your cars as I saw them on my first lap of the espy, thats why i went back and forth to check them out Anyways cheers for waving me down
Old 02-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #86
chicaboo

Hey Anton, it was quite funny how we tried and tried to get your attention, with Nate even doing the now famouns turkey run after you through some units as a shortcut and still just missing you by several meters...
Like I said, if you could make it out on some cruises we can show you some other aspects of the car that can be tweaked, plus discuss the Microtech pros and cons a bit more indepth in person too. Sorry things were a bit rushed by the time we caught up too.

Ryan: The dashmount and hand controller sound pretty decent anyway, plus I'd rather not have the worry of my laptop gong astray on me in the car too. Also I tihnk 4 maps to carry around is heaps in anycase.

Gav.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:11 PM   #87
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
i had fun

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Old 02-05-2005, 10:15 PM   #88
anton

yeh I will have to come on a few cruises forsure just gotta make the time. and yeh we will have to have a bit more chat about the computers
Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 AM   #89
QuicKSilveR
AstinaGT Regular

Car: '01 Nissan Silvia s15 (Ex Ford Laser TX3 Turbo FAN74)
Send a message via MSN to QuicKSilveR
I already run a Microtech Lt8s but I'd been keen to jump in on the group buy for a Hand Controller
Old 04-05-2005, 09:16 AM   #90
QuicKSilveR
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
when you say their install price is $650, i assume that's the price for the ecu when you pay for installation? any idea what would be their best install price?

how would everyone think about a big install weekend? then we'd just drive slowly and carefully to get them dyno tuned.

and MT? what's that?

also, i know microtech uses map sensors, but can they be tuned with maf's?
I'm saying his install price less normal tunning costs would make the install = $650.

The car runs fine on the base map that you get with it. Stutters a bit and runs really rich. Just drive to the dyno, Don't even have to drive slow, careful - the thing runs so rich and retarded that you won't hurt your engine.

....and in QLD I HIGHLY recommend Matty Sprie @ PITS Performance Tuning on the Gold Coast.

EDIT: By the way.......Archie does not tune his own Drag cars
Old 04-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #91
twilightprotege

yeah i've heard a lot of good things about pits. ex-motec or something employee right?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:50 AM   #92
QuicKSilveR
AstinaGT Regular

Runs his own shop doing ONLY Tuning. Has qualifications in the field....think was designing chips at chip torque and tuning.

He does Power FC, Microtech, Motec, GReddy, Wolf3d etc. etc.

I like his style......tuning it right thru the revs at different conditions instead of other tuners that just make sure its not leaning out.....and most of the time it will run heaps rich.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #93
twilightprotege

yeah that's right - he was big in chiptorque. i knew it was some big company.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #94
coldie123

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay RyRy
If you guys can hold off for a while I might be able to get you all the MicroTech gear alot cheaper than anywhere else can provide it. I have started my inquires and will let you know. And I'm not talking about saving a few dollars. I'm talking about saving hundreds of dollars. ONLY THE ECUs/CONTROLLER OKAY, not installation or dyno okay.

Ryan
Hey guys,
If the price of the ecu and controller drops down to $800-900, I'd definitely be interested!
This might be a bit ambitious, but... could the ecu install potentially be a DIY job? Is it just a matter of following the instructions, cutting wires and soldering?
And basic tuning could be done by getting a tuned map from someone with a similar car setup... and then maybe playing around with the settings a bit? I assume you can just save the maps onto a file and transfer them via a laptop.
Then finally take it to a dyno for fine tuning. That would save heaps of $$$ on install and dyno time, but is it feasible?
cheers,
coldie
Old 07-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #95
anton

Im thinking $800-$900 is a bit to ambitious
Old 07-05-2005, 09:08 AM   #96
chicaboo

Hey Coldie,

Ryan has a MT8s already, and he said it's pretty easy to install yourself. I've done some things that are meant to be pretty easy, but quite often luck hasn't gone my way on the day... I'd suggest we could easily locate and install the ECU/EMS and prewire it in parallel without connecting it, I mean just getting everything in the right place so that it only need to be spliced in where needed and then tuned very quickly. This though might mean having to drive around without your centre console or glovebox in place, but atleast you'll have it all so that it can quickly be tuned and probably save more coin aswell...

Gav.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #97
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Hey Coldie,

Ryan has a MT8s already...
... well he did ... ryan want to fill us in on the damage ...

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #98
coldie123

Car: .
You're probably right, $800 is probably a bit ambitious for both ecu and controller
I'd settle for $850 for just the ecu I might just get the ecu and just hook up my laptop whenever I want to change maps.

Gav, thats a good idea about getting all the wires laid out beforehand to save time. From what I've read, theres not that many connections to be wired up (15-20?). So its probably not too hard to do the cutting/splicing yourself if you have a buddy who's confident with wiring/soldering to help out.

Has anyone here actually done the installation themselves? It would be interesting to hear how easy/hard it is an if theres anything to watch out for.

Anyone else in Sydney interested in this? Maybe we could do a group install/tuning day?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:00 PM   #99
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
I'm wiring my Wolf up myself.

I've got a spare oem loom to help me and I'm aiming for a setup that will let me swap back to stock ecu easily.

and be stealthy !
Old 10-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #100
anton

so we still up for the 20th may deadline?
Closed Thread