Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 04-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #181
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
or they can get their ass in to gear and stop charging so much for the 5.. mx5 is WAY overpriced for what it is, but since there is not competition..
there are stories of all cars being preordered, but thats BS. just like the 45k minimum price story was just that, a story.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #182
z100

Car: 2003 Protege Sp20
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
as far as i'm aware. deposits have been taken for all 400. someone could be blowing smoke up my bum. but i don't see a salesperson with a potential sale in front of him telling me porkies.

past that, delivery to a 4000-4500 psotcode should be $500-$1000 cheaper driveaway than a 5000 postcode address.

Mazda might as well cancel any more orders for MX5s and MPSs to Australia.
It's all irrelevant now if they are pre-sold because at that price there will be a big waiting list!
z100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #183
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Well FMD!
Just remember that we pay extra stamp duty in QLD [+$300~500?].
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #184
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Toyota Australia has dropped a bombshell, announcing the new Toyota 86 hero car will cost just $29,990.

The razor sharp price is for the entry level GT model, while the luxury GTS version will come in at $35,490.

These prices are for the six-speed manual version of both grades. Toyota will charge an extra $2500 for the six-speed automatic, which is available for both the GT and GTS.

CarAdvice reported exclusively earlier this year that the Toyota 86 would be cheaper than a $38,490 VW Golf GTI three-door, while rival sites have continued to speculate a circa-$40K figure, though the sub-$30,000 starting point is unexpected considering the company had said it was hoping to begin pricing with a ’3′.

While the 86 was jointly developed with Subaru, there is no word yet on where that company will position its BRZ version. It is very likely that the Subaru Australia is waiting on the announcement of the 86 pricing before locking in its final position.

The base 86 GT model has cloth seats, manually controlled air conditioning, cruise control, seven airbags, five-stage Electronic Stability Control and traction control (which can be turned off completely) and 16-inch alloy wheels. Tilt and telescopic steering wheel adjustment is also standard, along with Bluetooth phone connectivity, voice recognition, CD sound system with AUX and USB input, information display, a folding rear seat back, electric folding wing mirrors, a full size steel spare wheel and a rear foglight.

Stumping up the extra cash for the GTS adds leather-accented front seats with alcantara (with heater function), dual-zone climate control air conditioning, a six-inch information display screen with satellite navigation, aluminium-look pedal covers, LED daytime running lights, auto-levelling HID headlights and 17-inch alloy wheels.

It also includes smart entry and start (using a transponder key), front foglights, carbonfibre-look trim sections for the interior, a frame-less rear-view mirror, a digital speedo, full-size alloy spare wheel and paddle shift buttons on the steering wheel for the automatic version.

The manual GT, manual GTS and automatic GTS get a limited slip differential, but the automatic GT misses out.

Both cars have the same engine and transmission combination. The GT and GTS also have front ventilated disc brakes, but the discs are different sizes: the GT has 277mm diameter fronts and 286mm rears, while the GTS has 294mm diameter fronts and 290mm rears.

Toyota has also revealed the 86 is covered by the Toyota capped-price servicing plan, which means the first four scheduled services will cost $170.

The company says it was determined to make the 86 as affordable as it could.

“The 86 is meant to be enjoyed by as many driving enthusiasts as possible, and our pricing will extend its appeal to people who never imagined they could afford such a fun car,” says Toyota Australia marketing manager Matthew Callachor.

Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada added: “We developed an authentic sportscar so that ordinary people can experience the joy of exciting driving.”

The pricing of the 86 means it dramatically undercuts every possible logical rival. It is significantly cheaper than Volkswagen’s Golf GTi at $38,990 and Subaru’s turbo WRX at $39,990, the Mazda3 MPS at $39,490 and Renault Megane RS at $41,990.

Toyota has also confirmed the 86 will be reasonably efficient, with an official average fuel consumption figure of 7.8L/100km for the manual, while the automatic version drives the number down to just 7.1L/100km. The emission numbers stand at 181g/km for the manual and 164g/km for the automatic.

While it promises to be fun to drive, the 86 is not a straight-line weapon, with a 0-100km/h time of 7.6 seconds for the manual. The automatic takes an extra 0.6 seconds.

It is nice and light, with a kerb weight of 1222kg for the base specification car.

The 2.0-litre boxer four-cylinder engine, which is based on a Subaru design with Toyota direct injection technology, generates 147kW at 7000rpm and 205Nm between 6400 and 6600rpm.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #185
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Quote:
Originally Posted by z100 View Post
It's all irrelevant now if they are pre-sold because at that price there will be a big waiting list!
Few of the guys from the ft86club have placed orders today, and some got told June/july delivery (yes June/July 2012 )
Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #186
z100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
Few of the guys from the ft86club have placed orders today, and some got told June/july delivery (yes June/July 2012 )
Yeah been keeping an eye on the site, this is going to do well this car. Can only hope it sparks a new era of affordable rwd motoring!
Old 17-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #187
smurfy

Car: sp20
So i saw one of these going the other way on the m4 todayyyy omfgggg sexyy ass!!! Was a white one looked sooo cleannnn

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #188
Hammo

Car: 03 Sp20
Have yet to see some be delivered to the Toyota Dealership next door to my work, up here in Newcastle, heard that another dealership up here had 5 already snapped up few months ago theyre going to sell like hot cakes
Hammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #189
z100

The Toyota website was updated a few days ago with pricing. $33,843 drive away for the manual GT from my local dealership.
Old 18-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #190
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
$33,925.21 drive away for me, guessing thats to do with CTP..
Old 18-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #191
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
$33,925.21 drive away for me, guessing thats to do with CTP..
Same price for me too. Nearly $40k drive away on the GTS model though. Don't know how to feel about that option kit though. Spoiler is both retarded and awesome at the same time.
Old 18-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #192
z100

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Same price for me too. Nearly $40k drive away on the GTS model though. Don't know how to feel about that option kit though. Spoiler is both retarded and awesome at the same time.
I hate the spoiler on the option kit, the rest of the kit looks good. Would take the TRD kit over that kit anyway, duckbill ftw. The other thing that I don't like is the GTS stock wheels, look like comonford specials.
Old 18-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #193
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Just looked up the TRD version, super sexy! Now I really want one of these. Member braces, adjustable suspension, gorgeous body kit, gauges, all the stuff I'd do to it is nearly all done.
Old 19-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #194
z100

Just got back from Nunawading Toyota, they now have three GT86's at the dealership. Have a friend that works at the dealer, let me know they had arrived. Excuse the phone pics...

They had, and these are Toyota's silly colour names not mine, one Sonic Blue and one Tornado Grey (dark grey) GT manual and a Storm Black GTS Auto. Couldn't get a test drive, as much as I tried, but did crawl all over them. Also got the chance to start up one of the GT's and give it a bit of a rev!

The car looks fantastic, want one even more now that I have seen it! But I would definitely get one in red or orange (sorry, Mount Fuji red & Velocity Orange) or another lighter colour rather than the darker colours. The lighter colours seem to show off the lines of the car better. A Subtle difference between the two models I hadn't noticed before was the 86 badge, detailing on the GTS badge and plain silver on the GT. The GT wheels (below) are much nicer then the GTS wheels, but most people will change these anyway.

The interior quality on the GT is average-goodish on the z100 scale, the better looking seats and dash in the GTS make it a bit nicer place (still don't think the extra money is worth the jump up to the GTS). The ergonomics are brilliant, seating position especially. Gear shift felt notchy, but in a good way, and the clutch was fairly light, not dissimilar to my protege. All without driving of course, so they will no doubt feel slightly different once driving. And the boot, which I forgot to get a photo of, has a ridiculous spare wheel setup that sticks up from the floor, under a cover, impacting on useable boot space. Now I just need to spend the next year or so saving. Damn Uni!

Last edited by z100; 19-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 19-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #195
z100

Couple more:

GT Rear

GT Interior (didn't get a better photo of the GT interior, but the red trim detail can be seen in other images)

GTS Interior

GTS Rim

Last edited by z100; 19-06-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 19-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #196
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
UGLY steering wheels. i agree with what derb said. thats the cool thing about these cars, cheap and somewhat adjustable and will probably hold value too.
Old 19-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #197
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
It's a Toyota - it will hold Value.

It's okay to drive as well. Yes I got s very very small short drive with the sales guy around the block in rsoebury.
But I was Lexus customer. You should have seen the look on the young guys early mid 20's - who were told NO. But - look I'm not into it anymore. I'm sure go back and I would jump at one. The seats to me reminded me or WRX and my Mx6 seats.
The dash is typcial IMO - like when the Rx8 came out.
The quality of the interior - look I'll put it like this - you get into a falcon - you get into a Territory - or even holden. It's still looks like Elephant scrotum planted on it. You get into a camry it's a Plus massive.
This car is like that. To a mazda 3 it's same.

But it's NO - BMW.
IMO it's got much better feel then the VW euros - but I am biased against them. Once a Golf GTI blows up on you and caddy box fails you hate all VW's.

I think the GT is going to be a massive seller. 2nd hand it will be Mx-5 styles - hold value especially if they like the original Mx5 sell early hard then sell slow but consistant. bring out specials on each model each year. Our market here might be big enough for a while. I think any autos will be GTS's

I can't wait to see if they Hybrid one - yes I said HYbrid.

I'd have to be given one. but nah I'll say this I'd rather a Aurion then a 86. Yep I said it.
Because that's me. I'd rather not be in a car noticed and every - TOM - NICK and HABIB has.
I was told at Tempe tyres I think it was last friday, talk said people saw CHROME Big things next to it. A RED one

Oh and I was at the dealers because I was looking at Is350's with 20,000km's on the clock. Not a prestige model at the money but still at least 3.5L and well eat the 86 in traffic with auto box.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #198
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

The trd one.. Won't be 39k drive away like GTS. Trd kit alone is 6k, the adjustable suspension is like 6-7k and the list goes on and on.. More like 55K drive away (guess)
GTS has bigger ventilated brakes all round compared to gt which has smaller and solid at the rear, better interior and a few other bits and pieces that actually make it worth the price
I saw one today, got to sit in it, will drive one tomorow.
I fit yay
The steering wheel is plain but very nice, and lack of distractions on it is refreshing. The shifter is way too long
Old 19-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #199
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Will be interesting to see what spec and price the BRZ will be. I've heard 36k talked about, but whether that's with sunroof or not i can't remember.

Will be interesting to see the convertible when it comes out too.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #200
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

This car can't have a sunroof, there is a "spine" that runs from the windshield to the rear window (on the 86 anyway, I assume BRZ is exactly the same)