Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 03-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Check what TPS values you are getting - you can do this without running the engine.

If the Microtech is not reading the TPS correctly, then it won't know when to use the idle maps. Possibly why it will run under load but not when you take your foot off the throttle.

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
TheMAN

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
There's only one way you can put it on..?

the manifold to head gasket (green gasket) can be put on both ways, but it must be installed one way

the beaded side must face the manifold, while the smooth side faces the head

the manifold also must be bolted on tight first (at 22Nm) before you put on the support bracket underneath... if you don't do this, the support bracket will force the manifold out of alignment

if you disassembled the manifold, the steel plenum gasket also is directional... the beaded side MUST face upwards, towards the intake runners... they also must be tightened to 22Nm

there's also a large rubber o'ring in the resonator box... if it's bad then obviously there's going to be leaks... the resonator box is glued together, so if it's cracked or broken, you will have issues obviously

Last edited by TheMAN; 03-10-2012 at 09:37 AM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
maztech

Car: ......
LOL this has been going on now for days, that's why there are people called mechanics , good reason why not to try to fix what you shouldn't touch yourself.
Microtech is crap .
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
TheMAN

wise words from jared
if you don't have experience or resources on hand (shop manual), one shouldn't take on complicated things
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #25
maztech

Car: ......
I think the main word you just mentioned in EXPERIENCE.

Why do people think they are a mechanic stick to what you have been trained in or is your job.

AS IT COSTS MORE TO HAVE IT FIXED AFTER YOU STUFF IT.

Every car I have touched off this place has had stuff wrong with it , I have either fixed it or told the owner how or what to fix.

Rhys you need to LISTEN to people with the experience and stop being a cheap arse hero and trying things yourself .
You doing a manifold swap is a very silly move there is a lot that can go wrong and what you need to look out for .
Now you have proberly stuffed with things you shouldn't have touched and made things worse.

No one can fix this car over a forum , sometime things need to be looked at by a trained person to be fixed.

Last edited by maztech; 03-10-2012 at 06:47 PM.
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
Rhys

Car: 2000 BJ Protege
Haha I didn't think it was that hard =)
Next time I'll leave things like that to the mechanics.

edit: Just trying to do something by myself and learn something.. no need for a personal attack. Yes, it was a stupid idea in hindsight but it's all about learning.

Last edited by Rhys; 03-10-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
TheMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztech View Post
I think the main word you just mentioned in EXPERIENCE.

Why do people think they are a mechanic stick to what you have been trained in or is your job.

AS IT COSTS MORE TO HAVE IT FIXED AFTER YOU STUFF IT.

Every car I have touched off this place has had stuff wrong with it , I have either fixed it or told the owner how or what to fix.

Rhys you need to LISTEN to people with the experience and stop being a cheap arse hero and trying things yourself .
You doing a manifold swap is a very silly move there is a lot that can go wrong and what you need to look out for .
Now you have proberly stuffed with things you shouldn't have touched and made things worse.

No one can fix this car over a forum , sometime things need to be looked at by a trained person to be fixed.
hey mate, everyone has to start somewhere to learn... we learn by our mistakes, we are human

I did the manifold swap myself 10 years ago... I managed to break the knock sensor, but did I learn something? sure thing! overall my swap went smoothly as I carefully followed the shop manual... I didn't dare touch anything that was more complicated than changing the oil without a shop manual
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Personally an intake swap seems relatively simple...bolt on etc. It's the fact an AM ecu is involved at the same time makes it doubly confusing. If possible, can you try just using the stock ecu?

As for the DIY stuff, while we've all made mistakes, myself included, its been fun and worthwhile. You'll get it sorted some time soon Rhys I'm sure, two paths. The take to mechanic and fix quickly and whatnot or tear your hair out DIY way.... What are you rich in . Time and patience or money
Old 04-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #29
rogerstrampoline
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1993 BG Astina SP
Yeah only way to learn is to do it yourself...that way if something goes wrong you have some idea when its something small that could save you money....but still gotta agree with jared, especially when a microtech is involved that hasn't been tuned yet. I wouldn't be driving the car at all without a tune
rogerstrampoline is offline   Reply With Quote