Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #41
TheMAN

Car: .
excuse me? "know everything"? when did I say that? I worked on many different brands of vehicles before and never have I seen one with a bad cat give O2 sensor heater codes
thanks for proving to me again why I don't talk about my credentials
Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #42
maztech

Car: ......
Mate well just stop and think for a second that I may have seen this before , I have access to information which you don't have and have played with the Aussie OBD2 cars which some codes mean different things handsome sensors and operating software is different.
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #43
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
yet another argument. can you not see that the way youre going about this is totally WRONG? even TheCordia was less argevating.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #44
Ben

Car: MPS
Ok, lets not argue. I thank you all for your input. I just drove the car for a solid 1 hour and it didnt mis-fire once.

Mazda has cleared the codes, they sent me on my way, told me to come back if it happens again.

TheMan, I have no idea what the O2 filter is, or where it is, or what it does haha but thanks for explaining. I really am not "mechanically minded", i do know the bare minimum and thats about it... If you had a picture with a huge arrow pointing to it, i will be able to check it out, check cables etc...

Maztech... Mazda didn't say anything about codes from the coils blowing... They rang me up and asked me if had replaced them.

As for now, we have to play the waiting game to see if the same code occurs again. I don't want to be just splashing out cash replacing something that might not be it.

What happens if it is the O2 sensor? Is it a simple re-place and on the way? How much $$

Last edited by Ben; 10-11-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #45
maztech

Car: ......
Now, why would they ask if you replaced them?
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #46
Clean_Cookie

i paid $60 for a bosh one. not sure how much youd end up paying, probably closer to $100, depending if you needed it ordered in, they are pretty universal. its still new in its box if you wanted to try it, but its probably pointless as the problem has dissapeared?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #47
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztech View Post
Now, why would they ask if you replaced them?
Trying to diagnose the problem no doubt? They asked the simple things first.. Fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, coils, leads. So i suppose they worked it out from there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
i paid $60 for a bosh one. not sure how much youd end up paying, probably closer to $100, depending if you needed it ordered in, they are pretty universal. its still new in its box if you wanted to try it, but its probably pointless as the problem has dissapeared?
Thanks Ryan... Not too bad, let just hope it behaves itself and doesn't need replacing... It took a good 2 months for this to occur after me replacing the coils, fuel filter and leads... So, we play the waiting game.

Last edited by Ben; 10-11-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #48
Clean_Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Trying to diagnose the problem no doubt? They asked the simple things first.. Fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, coils, leads. So i suppose they worked it out from there
he was eluding to the fact that the codes were related to coil pack failure, which was what they were arguing above...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #49
Ben

Right.. Gotcha... Haha
Old 11-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #50
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Im not that mechanically minded, however I had an incident where the car would suddenly drop power at idle or cruising along the road. (Basically at idle itd behave like a really lump v8).

Told my mechanic and he cleaned my throttle body. Fixed
Old 11-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #51
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice88 View Post
Im not that mechanically minded, however I had an incident where the car would suddenly drop power at idle or cruising along the road. (Basically at idle itd behave like a really lump v8).

Told my mechanic and he cleaned my throttle body. Fixed
Vacuum leak
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #52
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Thats what I thought tried using hair spray to detect any leaks but couldnt find anything. But then that was at idle so no real vacuum
Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #53
Ben

This is what i thought it was too. Think it's more serious.

Btw, car is running fine.. Except now instead of dying while driving/under pressure... at idle it like chucks a spit for about 1 sec and is fine again... So strange... It feels like when you turn the air-con on, except 10 times harder.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #54
Clean_Cookie

Maybe its gunk in the tank? Run it dry and refill perhaps?
Old 17-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #55
Ben

Update. So it literally has been a week since the car had its epic malfunction. It happened again yesterday. It felt like when the coils died originally. However, again, today the car is running fine. I did catch it spitting on video as it happened when i was in my street. I will upload the video to youtube when my internet is not capped for future reference if anyone else has this problem.

I also removed my fuel tank when it was nearly empty on the weekend... Emptied the fuel out and inspected for dirt...Just to make sure it wasn't a simple thing like that, also inspected the filter since it was replaced. It's still nice and clean. This little exercise just gave me piece of mind. No dirt was found in the tank. I also added a Injector cleaner tablet type thing while i was in there. Apparently it works wonders (Says mr autobarn) Fully aware that it's most likely just a octane boost.

So anyways, i went to Mr mechanic today, he plugged in his computer do-hickey. Came up with the same codes as last week Re the O2 sensor. A O2 sensor has been ordered and it is getting replaced tomorrow. Hopefully this solves it as its nom noming my money i don't even have.

Last edited by Ben; 17-11-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 17-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #56
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Hey Ben,

By any chance you dont know what the codes were?

Although it sounds like something else (like you said - O2 sensor), get your mechanic while he is underneath the car to check the Knock sensor, which is situated at the back of the block near the oil filter (it'll be a bung with 2 wires coming out of it to a plug). If the wires are exposed or the plug is damaged, I would be replacing that as well. Mine has about the same symptoms, and is very intermittent...

Cheers
Marc
Old 17-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #57
Ben

Hey Marc,

Codes were P0038 & H02S2... Not sure which ones which etc. I'm sure someone can tell you. I've literally got a list for my mechanic tomorrow of what i want him to check (I've done serious googling) I'll add the knock sensor onto it as well! Thanks
Old 18-11-2011, 04:47 AM   #58
TheMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Update. So it literally has been a week since the car had its epic malfunction. It happened again yesterday. It felt like when the coils died originally. However, again, today the car is running fine. I did catch it spitting on video as it happened when i was in my street. I will upload the video to youtube when my internet is not capped for future reference if anyone else has this problem.

I also removed my fuel tank when it was nearly empty on the weekend... Emptied the fuel out and inspected for dirt...Just to make sure it wasn't a simple thing like that, also inspected the filter since it was replaced. It's still nice and clean. This little exercise just gave me piece of mind. No dirt was found in the tank. I also added a Injector cleaner tablet type thing while i was in there. Apparently it works wonders (Says mr autobarn) Fully aware that it's most likely just a octane boost.

So anyways, i went to Mr mechanic today, he plugged in his computer do-hickey. Came up with the same codes as last week Re the O2 sensor. A O2 sensor has been ordered and it is getting replaced tomorrow. Hopefully this solves it as its nom noming my money i don't even have.
how can you "inspect" the filter when it is enclosed inside a canister?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...e-fuel-filters

Last edited by TheMAN; 18-11-2011 at 04:50 AM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #59
Ben

I didn't so called "inspect" I shook it about to see if any dirt fell out... Much like how we rectified the last one was dirty..10 ton of dirt came flowing out of it... No dirt came flowing out of this one... I'm not a complete noob...
Old 18-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #60
TheMAN

so the filter you replaced was the one shown above, not just the pickup sock for the pump? the only way to "shake" the filter to see if anything comes out is to detach the fuel pump from the filter... was that what you did?

it's also possible the pump got damaged because of the dirt in the past

no offence was intended... I just want things clarified so that we're both on the same page

Last edited by TheMAN; 18-11-2011 at 01:43 PM.
TheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote