Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

View Poll Results: HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED IN TURBOING THEIR 1.8 BJ 323
I am very interested 14 48.28%
I am sort of interested 3 10.34%
I would be interested but it is a very expensive way to boost the performance of my car 6 20.69%
I would be interested but am concerned about what it might do to engine or gear box 2 6.90%
I would be interested but i think buying a sports car in the first place is a better option 3 10.34%
I would be interested but i dont think the car would be drivable or be as quick as i want it to be 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #141
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
im not sure what to do to tell you the truth, the Na thing is something that can be done over time and can be incorperated with supercharging but after reading about the recomended supercharger size for our car only giving 40% more power thats not really encouraging, if i was to achieve 90 to 105 kw at the wheels na plus 40% thats only 140 kw at the wheels after alot of money.With turboing one hit and we can get that sort of power for less mucking around and maybe less money.

One thing with Superchargers is that because there torque comes across the whole i would be rather concerned about the life of the gear box. With turboing the power delivery may be more snappy but through what I have read and heard our gearboxes seem to handle it not to bad with low boost applications. Supercharging on the other hand is not a highly known with our cars so I would be a little concerned with what could happen if we were to use one.

Correct me if im wrong but Torque is meant to be a major killer for most gear boxes and Superchargers supply a great deal more torque than Turbo's do, this is what makes me worry. If I have mis stated anything please correct me but from what i have heard superchargers kill boxes, turbos put on extra strain but arnt as lethal.
tidy protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #142
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
torque kills parts. NA, turbo and sc putting out the same torque will kill parts just the same. the problem SC's get is that their power comes on early because they spool at the same speed as the engine. turbo you can have come on later and spool later by playing with the wastegate. na, well you just get torque where ever the hell it wants to be
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #143
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidy protege
Correct me if im wrong but Torque is meant to be a major killer for most gear boxes and Superchargers supply a great deal more torque than Turbo's do, this is what makes me worry. If I have mis stated anything please correct me but from what i have heard superchargers kill boxes, turbos put on extra strain but arnt as lethal.
Supercharger's don't actually put out more torque at all, remember turbochargers and superchargers end up doing the same thing - They compress air to increase amount of 'fuel'(petrol&air) in the engine that can go bang. The only difference is how they get the 'drive/power' to produce this air compression. Because a supercharger is mechanically driven it is actually more inefficient than a turbo. There are pros & cons to both systems. The main things you would look at between 2 systems with approx equal outputs are: lag vs power hit(super) vs size of installation.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2005, 05:03 AM   #144
TStar

Car: 323F
Send a message via ICQ to TStar
i think you could contact s3sport, president of the tapc, he has a 1.8bj with about 300hp, he could give you a good start into the topic.

TStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #145
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Evo 8
supercharger's are the torque makers alot more than turbo's,
remember superchargers give near instantaneous boost whereis a turbo is powered by exhaust gas and therefore needs enough of it to make boost...

This is th reason why some people feel the need to do both so that they have boost off the line and still in the top end when most superchargers tend to stop making the power...

As far as the group buy goes, i really need to know numbers of people before i can work out how much i have to cut off the profit margin while still making it worth while... The fact that i have partnered with a local haltech supplier makes thigns slightly cheaper. Although at the same time there is actually not much profit selling the kit at current prices as it is as customs adds alot to it. If it was a group purchase all the items could be shipped at once making things alot cheaper though.

Well everyone knows how to reach me if they are still interested...

I have resently started a new parts business which will be stocking the kits making for quicker turn around. The site will launch within the month at http://www.boostonline.com.au
To boost or not to boost - http://www.trafficmesh.com
wiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:28 AM   #146
323boy

Send a message via MSN to 323boy
hey peeps i have a 1.8 bj sport 2000 model the non face lift model and my question is, i have the 1.8 but is this the fp 1.8 or is this different as i want the turbo conversion, would it fit on no probs or will it need major programming?? cheers for ur help.

323boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:37 AM   #147
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
all BJ's have the same block.... but in world models there have been some differences, like the ones that doug (wiredone) has had.. you will be right with it, as your a FP, and you should be the same, being RHD... check for local regulations
Old 20-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #148
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
as james has said your motor should be sweet for the turbo conversion, the man to talk to about this would be doug aka wiredone as he is closely affiliated with street dreams who sell the imported modified version of the street dreams kit.

Another person who you may want to talk to would be Anton as he has followed the custom turbo path and is making roughly 125 to 130 kw at the wheels of very low internal friendly boost levels.
Old 28-05-2005, 02:03 AM   #149
HI-RES

Car: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahb11m
HiBoost made a kit for a 1.6 i recently found out..... let oyu know more as i find out more
this is kinda old hat now but I am dumbfounded at the power those guys are getting out of the hiboost kit. dynoed at somethin like 280whp @ 20 psi with stock internals??? And daily drivers boosting at 12 - 16psi. forged internals arent even available and no problems have been reported as far as I'm aware.
Poetic justice for 1.6. hah.

am seriously considering this kit instead of selling the car in the future.

but for the moment I've got suspension/tyres to worry about...

HI-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 08:44 AM   #150
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Yeah it's unreal, I think the 1.6? and 1.8s use the same rods as the 2.0, so as the stroke is decreased they are more boost friendly... I wonder how many people in the US with money to burn have cottened onto this and gone and picked up a cheep arse 1.6 and whacked the HiBoost in it?

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #151
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
1.6's are totally different in pretty much every way. i'd be certain the rods are different
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #152
saiyan

Car: no car atm
hey guys,
i was just wondering as it seems alot of people are interested in turboing the bj protege's. if you guys had the full instructions to turbo the car would you be able to do it??
the instructions i got was from a guy in the u.s. its acually got what parts you would need, and how you would install it and where you would get all the parts from. now im sure most of you know alot about the 323's and are very mech minded. whso i guess at im saying is......if you had everything infront of you for what to do including pictures would you be able to do it??
and buying the parts yourself instead of the kit will be much cheaper.....

let me know your thoughts.

cheers
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #153
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
If you read through the thread and also use the search function, you'll see that most of us are fine with doing the install. The problem is that the majority of us see the large expense as not being worthwhile considering what needs to be done to let the motor hold together when boosted. Much less making it reliable.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #154
saiyan

yes that is true thats why u keep it at low boost till u do the internals....
but in talking about expense...wouldnt you do it yourself if you knew it would be cheaper?

i know i would....
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #155
saiyan

ohhh maybe i 4got to add is the reason for me asking this is because i am interested in turboing my car in the future aswell and any1 who is capable of doing so or even a few people maybe we could help each other do it as im not exactly mech minded.... and the information i have will be for all of us to use, to do it.

cheers