Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 27-04-2006, 01:35 AM   #1
TStar

Car: 323F
Send a message via ICQ to TStar
Post Diary: my new audio installation

part1
when i put in the spare tire sub last summer, i used acrylic sealing compound to make a static connection to the chassis...

well..and today i tried to remove it...took me like 3hours of work, 1.5litres of pure xylol (the only substance i know that is able to destabilise acrylic compound) to get this enclosure out of my trunk... needless to say that xylol destroys every paint color it gets in touch with.....

my head aches because of the xylol fog, my back hurts because of the work and the unsuccessful lifting attempts..it was hell...... now i have to clean the whole mess up....will take another 1 or 1.5 hours...

the enclosure will be sold and i will build a new one.. my favorite place will be the middle floor area between the rear seats,what do you think?

TStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 27-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
thats why you should line the surface first :d
Old 27-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
wouldnt that be a bit small to put a sub? or do u no carry passengers in the back? maybe they can sit in the boot instead heeheh
MAztinA 323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
LordWorm

Car: .
What kinda ride you got? (reason i ask is work is filtering your pics and i cant see!)

I'm looking at installing 2 12in fusions in my BJ protege. They'll be mounted in the boot (under the parcel tray, its largely unusable space), and fire forward into the cabin. With the bifold seats up, it'll muffle as if its being shot into the boot, so no biggy, but with teh bifolds down the sound quality will be awesome...and..i can still cart passangers around =)
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
TStar

platypus: before i put the enclosre in the mold, i smeared a sort of grease on the surface of the mold to prevent "glueing".. didn't help... and i treated the enclosures surface as well, using putty,primer,paint etc... didn't help either...

lord worm: got a 2002 323F hatchback.. i've had many ideas on where to put the new sub,the amps etc.. my final results include one thing: i will not install a subwoofer in my spare tire mold ever again.

maztina323:
i've chosen my new subwoofer well 8-)

as i've said: i will try to install a subbox just on the floor right in the middle between the rear seats, so 2 people can still sit in the rear without having any problems...

Old 27-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
LordWorm

Tstar: not talking about putting it anywhere near the tire well in my car.... cant it fit just infront of it?, or false floor it and have the box covering only a quarter of the well... the false floor will get plenty of room to left it up, then you just slide it back out...easy.

Just seems a shame to go for a smaller box in an alkward place...*shrug*
Old 27-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
andrewgrazier

just wondering
why didnt you coat it with that caraburna wax?
n do it with fibreglass?
andrewgrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #8
TStar

lordworm: the problem is: i need my trunk space... when i carry 4 rims with their tires on, it's already pretty crowded.. if i didn't need my trunk space, then i'd just make a fibreglass enclosure at the side plastic moldings in the trunk or so... i already have a false floor (well,right now it's sitting in the basement) and i will hide the amplifiers beneath it, but i can't give away more trunk space.

andrew: that's exactly how it was done. we (a mate and i) put a sort of wax in the molding and started fibreglassing .. only the upper cover is made of wood for stability reasons. the acrylic was used to give the enclosure a more stiff connection to the chassis...

here's where the new enclosure is supposed to go (if i can make it)

the only problem i see is finding a point where to mount/fixate the box properly so it won't move during driving...

Last edited by TStar; 28-04-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 28-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStar
lordworm: the problem is: i need my trunk space... when i carry 4 rims with their tires on, it's already pretty crowded.. if i didn't need my trunk space, then i'd just make a fibreglass enclosure at the side plastic moldings in the trunk or so... i already have a false floor (well,right now it's sitting in the basement) and i will hide the amplifiers beneath it, but i can't give away more trunk space.
I'm saying... ditch like 25cm of your trunk space behind hte boot..under the parcel tray (on the sedan, its a straight trace down from the parcel tray to the floor, and there you have something like 100L for a sub box!!)..

You will still have ample room to get the spare out... and as for hte 4 rims... well...i'm sure you could think of something

how big is the sub you are going for? your enclosure sizes look really REALLY small... guess i'm just looking at it from a "more bass" point of view, rather then a "fit a speaker in as small a space as possible" point of view...

Guess its a matter of what you want to do... i just feel you are going to be dispointed if you are after mega bass.... not only will you be let down on that part, but you wont be able to car passangers anymore :\

also, consider the fact that your sub will be visible to passers by... someone may try to flog it..

If being compact IS a concern, how about looking at one of those slim line under the front seat doohickys? not sure how much bass they produce...but it may be right about what you are after....
Old 29-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #10
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
If being compact IS a concern, how about looking at one of those slim line under the front seat doohickys? not sure how much bass they produce...but it may be right about what you are after....
Not a good idea. I thought of that and built one, slimline sub in slimline box, slotted it under front passenger seat : Net result, ****e sound no bass, waste of time and money, since discovered a mate had done somethin very similar in one of those 4 door utes, got roughly same result as me. Those things are a crock, cost a bundle and do sweet f*^k all.

My 2 cents.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 04:18 AM   #11
TStar

ahm..

that's my trunk..not a sedan one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
I'm saying... ditch like 25cm of your trunk space behind hte boot..under the parcel tray (on the sedan, its a straight trace down from the parcel tray to the floor, and there you have something like 100L for a sub box!!)..

You will still have ample room to get the spare out... and as for hte 4 rims... well...i'm sure you could think of something
if i get you right, you'd suggest somethinglike this:

if i did that, i could get just 1 rim+tire the trunk, nothing more 8-( maybe you can think of where to put the other 3 wheels?

Quote:
how big is the sub you are going for? your enclosure sizes look really REALLY small... guess i'm just looking at it from a "more bass" point of view, rather then a "fit a speaker in as small a space as possible" point of view...
resonant engineering RE8, 8" , 175rms, plays fine in 8litres sealed and from 15l in a vented enclosure..i don't worry at all about a weak bass ^^

Quote:
also, consider the fact that your sub will be visible to passers by... someone may try to flog it..
true,i already thought about mounting the sub to the side OR to make an invisible installation on the top, sinking the sub about 1,5cm into the wooden surface,putting a grid on the top which sits flush with the wooden surface...

Quote:

Last edited by TStar; 29-04-2006 at 04:24 AM.
Old 29-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
platypus
living in the past man

how about you carry stuff in the body of your car? keep a rug in the car in case its dirty?
Old 29-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
BJ BoI

Car: -
if you want maximum room out of your hatch consider this, custom make a box, as flat as possible but as wide as the back of your seats, when mounting it, mount it to the back of your seat! so that when you need your hatch you can just lay your seats down and the bottom of your box will then be facing the back of your car creating a barrier so your cargo wont damage your sub, whilst still letting you keep the sub in the car and giving you maximum boot space! oh and also this will give you easy access to you spare when you need it! the way i see it this takes care of all your concerns and you end up with FULL hatch space! what do u guys recon
BJ BoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #14
LordWorm

8in sub for my money is a compromise...

I know the slimline subs suck...but it'd be better then having a sub sticking in clear view of the public.... i'd be worried about someone smashing the window and stealing it.

Twilightprotege has a 10in sub in his hatch, in a really low profile box, that barely uses any space in his hatch...

To give you a comparsion...the system I am designing for my car will have a 100L sealed enclosure, for 2x 12in subs (prefer sealed to vented because the setup is for sound quality not SPL... vented are only really good for whatever frequency they are tuned to...granted they produce more bass but i'd prefer well rounded bass etc).

edit: Also, how often do you use your entire boot space? could you not build the box to be removable? If you are only carting stuff around say, once a week, it might be worthwhile...

Last edited by LordWorm; 29-04-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 29-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
platypus
living in the past man

2x12 in a hatch is a waste and is only show worthy... get one good 12, or get a good 10, maybe 2 8 though...
Old 29-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #16
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus
2x12 in a hatch is a waste and is only show worthy... get one good 12, or get a good 10, maybe 2 8 though...
not true mate...

i've got a sedan for a start

but the reason for 2x 12s isnt for volume..its for effortless bass.. you dont need to drive the speakers nearly as hard to get the same result... its a quality issue.

check out any of the "sound quality" competition rigs...they have multiple subs..not cos they create big SPL (the SPL clowns go stupid with as many subs as they can fit in a given space), but because you get better quality and more defined bass.

for depth, a 12 is where its at... 10in will give slightly better clarity... personally an 8 wouldnt be worth it for me...going to 15 would be a waste... unless you are into heavy long bassy hip hop stuff...
Old 29-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #17
platypus
living in the past man

in a sedan 2 12's are great - but it is after all a diary thread for Tstar to document HIS install - sq and 12's typically doesn't work due to the inherant lag time in the bigger subs
Old 29-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #18
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus
in a sedan 2 12's are great - but it is after all a diary thread for Tstar to document HIS install - sq and 12's typically doesn't work due to the inherant lag time in the bigger subs
oh i got no prob with what he's doing

just making suggestions as to some other things he may not have thought about..

the location of the sub is a little odd, was the main thing i was saying....

on the SQ front:
The reason I'm going 2x12s is to help get around the problems of having the big units.... in a correctly designed and setup system, 12s are awesome for SQ.
Old 30-04-2006, 02:11 AM   #19
TStar

i started detailed measuring today, buying additional tools etc... fact: a subwoofer behind the middle console won't be possible, mainly because of the seats coming too close when slided to the back completely.

so i guess i'll take a shot at the plastic moldings left/right in the trunk *sigh*

Old 30-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #20
BJ BoI

Car: -
Did you read my idea, it will work perfectly!
BJ BoI is offline   Reply With Quote