Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 09-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
Asty93

Boot install problem

gday,

ive been tossing around an idea for a boot install in my bg, but am not sure of a few things...

first of all what i plan to do is have a false floor and get my amp underneath it along with the crossovers for my splits in the front and possibly a capacitor ... what i am worried about is the amp overheating in the confined area.

While i was driving around in cairns over christmas my whole sound system shut down, (head unit still on but no sound), then when i pulled up at the beach i checked the amp and it was hot as. after a while it started again no dramas. So im just concerned that it may overheat even more in a smaller area.

ive thought about using computer fans (like they use in computer cases) inside the false floor , but thats all ive managed to come up with.

if anyone has any experience with keeping amps cool in similar conditions id be all ears!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
AstinaBoiV6

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to AstinaBoiV6
hahaha liquid cooled fans??? hahaha nar u gota stop turning it out soo loud... i can hear it from here umm idea is good, perhaps your amp overheats because its not big enough (RMS wise).. i had a small 4 ch runnin my speakers at time n it always overheated as it wasnt puting out enough power.. after i swaped to the pioneer 4ch it remains pretty cool and only gets mildly warm if i crank it up for continuous periods of time.

umm yer the fan idea sounds ok.. do it so it runs on a switch so that you can switch on anf off from drivers seat so that if u not listenin to anythin u dont have them on.. post pics

Team AJ Member PM 4 details
AstinaBoiV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
ok just read the first bart of ur post. fauls floor hey. i got one quoted at north field car sound at marooka for i think $600. that did not include subs. but that was about 1 year ago.

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
LordWorm

Car: .
120mm case fans are the go. Run fine and dandy off 12V. are very quiet (you wont hear them from the front of the car, could nearly guarentee they'll be quieter then the road noise. And you wont need that many of them (2, maybe 4 tops!)

Cut a hole at the back of your false floor to mount one, and one at the front for the other... use a grill to protect fingers....(pick these up from a computer store too!). mount one to suck air into the floor and one to blow it out..this will create a reasonable current of air that'll stop the heat.

all you are really wanting to do is get a bit of air flowing over them...they dont need to be cooled to the crazy level of say, a CPU... the amp case is a heatsink, all you need do is get fresh air over it and get the hot air away from it.

if you wanted to go really silly, you could even duct air over the amps with some well placed channels made out of MDF.

Not sure what kinda rice you are into, but if neons are your things, you can get UV reactive 120mm case fans, LED fans and so forth....might suite your boot nicely if you can match it in with other stuff (if you are going with other stuff that is.)

Depending on how trick you wanted to get, you could also rig up a temp sensitive switch of somesort, so the fans only run when the amps exceed some temp...i'm sure you could find a kit for this from jacar or the like.
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Asty93

sweet thanks for the input!!

this is gonna be an on goin job and doing it as i get money and parts/tools for it. I want to do this my self as ive had heaps of problems with my soundsystem when it was installed by a certain car shop in cairns .... they blew my amp once, back speakers once and didnt install the front speakers properly so when i washed my car water got on them and shorted them!!! (all this was replaced at there expense and i think they were getting pissed at how much i was costing them )

so since that ive been extreamly weary of leaving my car anywhere to be worked on.

i will almost certainly get some case fans and while theres power there i may as well hook up a couple of lights .

another quick question i have is where would i be able to pick up some perspex from in the brisbane area?

and if anyone knows of a cheap place for sheets of ply wood that would also be awesome!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asty93
sweet thanks for the input!!

this is gonna be an on goin job and doing it as i get money and parts/tools for it. I want to do this my self as ive had heaps of problems with my soundsystem when it was installed by a certain car shop in cairns .... they blew my amp once, back speakers once and didnt install the front speakers properly so when i washed my car water got on them and shorted them!!! (all this was replaced at there expense and i think they were getting pissed at how much i was costing them )

so since that ive been extreamly weary of leaving my car anywhere to be worked on.

i will almost certainly get some case fans and while theres power there i may as well hook up a couple of lights .

another quick question i have is where would i be able to pick up some perspex from in the brisbane area?

and if anyone knows of a cheap place for sheets of ply wood that would also be awesome!!!
Personally i'd go MDF instead of ply.... pick up sheets of either from bunnings....

You can buy perspex from bunnings also but it aint cheap. I think Mitre10 had some cheapish small sheets (like 30cm by 30cm) when i last looked...
Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Ian

Car: 1990 R32 GTR
Okey, you can get these units that are the size of a CDROM device (single DIN? not sure) for a PC that monitor heat and control fans. I have one in my PC. You could mount one under your headunit in the front of your car.

The one I have has 4 heat temprature sensors. It can manage four fans, and you can splice the output wires so it can manage 4 groups of fans instead, if need be. How I have mine worked is CPU, GPU, HDD and ambiant case temprature. As one of these comes up, the fan or group of fans involved comes up with it. Quite nifty, but the unit was 80 bucks and im not sure how balls-out you want to go.

Mah Ride!
details
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Okey, you can get these units that are the size of a CDROM device (single DIN? not sure) for a PC that monitor heat and control fans. I have one in my PC. You could mount one under your headunit in the front of your car.

The one I have has 4 heat temprature sensors. It can manage four fans, and you can splice the output wires so it can manage 4 groups of fans instead, if need be. How I have mine worked is CPU, GPU, HDD and ambiant case temprature. As one of these comes up, the fan or group of fans involved comes up with it. Quite nifty, but the unit was 80 bucks and im not sure how balls-out you want to go.
Yeh a bay bus controller may be overkill though mate... i honestly dont think he's gunna hear a thing with 2 fans rumbling away in the boot, especially with seats and what not between him and the fans... If it were an issue...you could wire something that switches the fans on when current is applied to the speakers from the amp....which would be more elegant and require less human interference....but its definantly a doable idea.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Asty93

hmmm,

ian thatd be a good idea for it but im too lazy and was just gonna hook up the fans to a constant powersupply in the boot, so when i switch on the car they turn on with the amp. or as an adaption of landworms idea, use a capatior from the speakers to the fans so only when a certain amount of current is flowing thru they turn on ...

but i will look into both of these for a future mod if i can get motivated enough

As for neons in the boot - i havent checkd this out fully yet but i was thinking just using the power from the boot light and try to hook it up so when i open the boot they come on or if that turns out to be toomuch effort ill just put a switch in its place

will sus out bunnings tomorrow to get mdf ... and also price perspex

lol if perpex is too expensive ill just use glad wrap all ready planing to use al-foil in there

im doin this install the uni student way
Old 09-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
LordWorm

Quote:
hmmm,

ian thatd be a good idea for it but im too lazy and was just gonna hook up the fans to a constant powersupply in the boot, so when i switch on the car they turn on with the amp. or as an adaption of landworms idea, use a capatior from the speakers to the fans so only when a certain amount of current is flowing thru they turn on ...

but i will look into both of these for a future mod if i can get motivated enough

As for neons in the boot - i havent checkd this out fully yet but i was thinking just using the power from the boot light and try to hook it up so when i open the boot they come on or if that turns out to be toomuch effort ill just put a switch in its place

will sus out bunnings tomorrow to get mdf ... and also price perspex

lol if perpex is too expensive ill just use glad wrap all ready planing to use al-foil in there

im doin this install the uni student way
Yeh run the suckers off speaker load..that way they are not running constantly (PC case fans have a limited lifespan....i kill mine regularly with 24hour a day running...replacing at least 1 fan a year)...... If the noise is a problem "7volt mod" the fans...so they run off er, 7volts instead of 12...will reduce their speed to almost half, but because they are big they should still produce ample amounts of push for your air..

you could also (this idea just came to me...) mount a fan directly above each amp, and have grills cut in the false floor....have them mounted to suck air straight away from teh amps rather then trying to get an airflow through the floor... maybe?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #11
Asty93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
you could also (this idea just came to me...) mount a fan directly above each amp, and have grills cut in the false floor....have them mounted to suck air straight away from teh amps rather then trying to get an airflow through the floor... maybe?
yeah this sounds like a plan ... only thing that im worried about doing it this way is if i put items in the boot they may damage the fans, but atleast ive got something to think about now CHEERS!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
LordWorm

Quote:
yeah this sounds like a plan ... only thing that im worried about doing it this way is if i put items in the boot they may damage the fans, but atleast ive got something to think about now CHEERS!!!
thats easy to overcome mate

countersink a hole in the bottom of the MDF with a holesaw or router or something so the fan is sorta half way into the MDF, then drill a whole pile of holes right through for the air to get out....fans = protected.

OR use a heavy duty grill and flush mount the grill to the false floor...
OR cut a whole right through and put some heavy duty mesh over them
you'd then only have to worry about something falling through the holes/grill/mesh and fouling up the fan

you could put hte amps right at hte back of the false floor, and have some sort of baricade infront of them thats open on the backside also. you could then have this baricade hinged so you can unclip it and fold it forward to access your amps and fans....

let us know how you go with it..post pics!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
Asty93

cheers man! thats helpt out alot ... ill prob just go ahead and use a mesh ... it should hold a bocce set and groceries!!, and is cheaper then perpex as i dont have a router/holesaw

... as for fans im sure ill be able to mount them using that idea too!!

also using mesh will let the air come through alot more

sounds like youve done this before

this looks like a job for the weekend if i get time ... will post pics when its done!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #14
LordWorm

Quote:
cheers man! thats helpt out alot ... ill prob just go ahead and use a mesh ... it should hold a bocce set and groceries!!, and is cheaper then perpex as i dont have a router/holesaw

... as for fans im sure ill be able to mount them using that idea too!!

also using mesh will let the air come through alot more

sounds like youve done this before

this looks like a job for the weekend if i get time ... will post pics when its done!!!
Glad i could help... computer case mods have been a thing i've done for a little while (nothing good...) and i've been pondering my install for my system for quite some time (has alot of unique problems...the car is being setup for drags, so i need to be able to quickly and easilly pull out a 120L sub box, a false floor, 4 amps, door pods and what not, without disturbing the wiring and need to be able to pull it all in and out in as short a time as possible)...

airflow was one of my first considerations but chatting here has given me some new ideas also =)

But yeah, with a little creative thought, you can make sure noone even knows you have fans humming away in there....and you'll have everything neatly hidden away....noone will know the difference =)

Oh when oyu do your false floor, be sure to cut a hinged door on it so you can get at your spare without having to tear the whole thing appart to get at it... just cut out a shape in teh floor with a jigsaw big enough to pull the wheel out, and hinge it back on at the back.... stick your carpet down using hte same shape cut outs for the carpet, put some sort of foam stuff between the door and what the door closes onto to stop nasty vibrations, and put some nice spring clips or latches to keep it firmly shut...and of course put some sort of thing so you can easilly grab and open the door on it too =).

If you measure everything out, you may be able to get someone at your hardware store to do the cutting for cheap, and save yourself the headaches, and possible messups of doing it yourself (i only say this because personally i am completely useless with powertools...i know i'd mess it up... if your good, then go for it yourself of course! :P)
Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #15
Asty93

Quote:
Glad i could help... computer case mods have been a thing i've done for a little while (nothing good...) and i've been pondering my install for my system for quite some time (has alot of unique problems...the car is being setup for drags, so i need to be able to quickly and easilly pull out a 120L sub box, a false floor, 4 amps, door pods and what not, without disturbing the wiring and need to be able to pull it all in and out in as short a time as possible)...
Sounds like quite a challange!!!!

Quote:
Oh when oyu do your false floor, be sure to cut a hinged door on it so you can get at your spare without having to tear the whole thing appart to get at it... just cut out a shape in teh floor with a jigsaw big enough to pull the wheel out, and hinge it back on at the back.... stick your carpet down using hte same shape cut outs for the carpet, put some sort of foam stuff between the door and what the door closes onto to stop nasty vibrations, and put some nice spring clips or latches to keep it firmly shut...and of course put some sort of thing so you can easilly grab and open the door on it too =).
cheers already had a few thoughts in mind for this poblem but a few back up ideas are always hand to have!!!

Thanks again!! been a great help!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #16
LordWorm

a challange it is! its handy when you have a mate whos a 3D designer though.. i can build testfits and what not before i even pick up a tool...but still, gotta come up with the ideas before I can have them prototyped in 3D...

goodluck with your system...its gunna be an awesome install... nothing better then a well thought out install that looks like it was meant to be that way from the factory
Old 09-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
i had the same prob - mounted the amp under the front seat - plenty of air flow !

are pioneer amps still liquid cooled?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #18
Asty93

im not sure mate, ive only had experiance with alpine and my amp at the moment is a 6ch JBL amp ...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #19
AstinaBoiV6

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to AstinaBoiV6
6ch so ur runnin everythin off that .. well thers y its getin soo hot its overworked.. hmm maybe if u got a 2ch or mono for the sub u would take the stress of the JBL and wont heat up as much.. but i guess a 6ch would save u room and messy wires. kk

Team AJ Member PM 4 details
AstinaBoiV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:47 PM   #20
Asty93

yeah saving room was the idea at the time ... thinking back i shoulda got an extra amp, bought it off different people, intsalled it myself... ahh the benifit of hindsight!!!

its only ever stoped twice, both have been extreamly hot days when ive left my car in a sunny location.