Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 21-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #281
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Just spoke to engineer shop @ Braeside. It's not that stand alones aren't allowed but that they pass the ADR emissions test. This is where the LPG would have shined.

I need to talk with Vipac emissions mob now & will get back......

EDIT: Guys, will get back to you as it may help others going down this same path. A very effort-ful path. To get an engineers cert' for modifications to any vehicle. Vehicle MUST pass an ADR emissions test, PRIOR to even considering an engineers cert' check!!! $$$$ who knows till I talk to VIPAC guy when he calls back

Moral of the story: if you don't accept the emissions testing which can run into $$$$'s, needed to pass an engineers cert', then, don't modify a car. An emissions test MUST pass with car running through entire rev range, not just idling. Interesting?????? What performance guys do is lean-tune the car @ idol then, have it richen up when flouring it, especially with turbo applications due to risk of leaning out/knocking under boost.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 21-12-2010 at 10:45 AM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #282
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Yeah, that's what i was implying. It comes down to a standalone being pointless, as after the full EPA emissions test, the ECU needs to be locked off so it can't be altered in the future.

That's why i always liked the LPG aspect of this, as all the EPA guff isn't necessary.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #283
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Yeah, that's what i was implying. It comes down to a standalone being pointless, as after the full EPA emissions test, the ECU needs to be locked off so it can't be altered in the future.

That's why i always liked the LPG aspect of this, as all the EPA guff isn't necessary.
Dan, how stringent the test depends on year of vehicle. Pre-June 88' test is ADR 27C = less stringent requirements to be met. Post June 88' & it is a ADR 3700 test which is harder to pass. Btw, test is $1600 a time. Takes 2 days due to 2 separate tests to pass. 1 in the morning when below certain environmental temp'

In my case, it is the turbo that warrants the necessity of ADR emissions test obviously due to no original manufacturers specifications being met (there is no specs haha) This is what makes for an extensive dynotune needed to make sure AFR's are consistent across rev range or @ least on average when calculated together.

So. In a nutshell. As long as the tune meets acceptable emissions levels on all 3 points. It's $1600 you coff up. But if you think about it, no matter what ECU you use, it still is all in the tune when it comes to EPA acceptance & passing that part of the VASS signature that you have to obtain for registration purposes!

I know the LPG would have the advantage here but it is still up to the tune due to turbo added aftermarket.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 21-12-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 23-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #284
NaughtyGT

I am beginning touching up the aesthetics side of the wheels I purchased. The outer lip damage in particular that 2 of them suffered. I'd say they were damaged in a racing acident when looking more closely. I'm grinding then filing/sanding the outer beed surface of lip to try & blend in the lip edges & cover over chips & scrapes etc.
Not that easy with forged alloy I can tell you. Surprisingly hard metal.

Old 24-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #285
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Dan. After speaking with VIPAR emissions test office. If you modify a car significantly. Altering factory settings that effect the standard emission levels provided by manufacturer. Regardless of whether you convert to LPG or not. You are still required to do the EPA designated ADR emissions test, prior to being provided with an engineers certificate.

Although with straight forward LPG conversion it doesn't need the EPA emissions test due to the LPG installation compliance plate provided by install workshop, where FI is concerned, you still have to perform the test, before an engineer shop will provide mod certificate In my case, the LPG, while it would satisfy emissions test easier, I'd still have to coff up the $1600 initial test fee!

Bottom line is. If there is no factory specifications available from manufacturer (as in an available factory turbo ECU, MAF, sensors etc etc) for the car you are converting to FI., obviously the particular vehicle model was never manufactured & sold on the market with FI, you must have the test performed to ensure emissions satisfy the particular ADR standard specified by the EPA! Only if you FI a vehicle that was factory produced in the same model, can you avoid the EPA test.

Sorry for the long=winded right up but I wanted to clear the points up for any member who feels the urge to FI their non-turbo modeled car

P.S. WORLDWIDE: "HAVE A GREAT CHRISSIE BREAK ALL"

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 24-12-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #286
NaughtyGT

Pathetic Update

Rear screens in

I will be finishing off re-sculpturing the damaged outer lips on rims today. Never did get anything from the bassad who sold me them damaged though. He still denies they'd been in any kind of accident etc

Anyway, has anyone down under had mandrel bent intercooling piping work done? I am having this as part of the workshop fabrication work but it is fargen expensive Not unlike mandrel bent exhaust. I figure the aluminium bends are more difficult or perhaps involve more careful/tedious work than simple mild steel?

Any comments from anyone ever having this kind of aluminium work done??

Old 14-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #287
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
updates???
Old 14-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #288
NaughtyGT

Not any positive ones @ this stage Marc.......wish there was

Old 14-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #289
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
So im guessing still at the workshop?
Old 15-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #290
NaughtyGT

It's a lot worse than that. I'm just getting workshop to re-fabricate LPG set up & fit a new exhaust system plus all the new stock parts so I can bring it home but.....without turbocharging. Only mod will be the inlet plenum.

Workshop wanted to charge me another $1k for parts, which were already more expensive than orig' quoted July last year, & I can't warrant the extra expense. SO the whole thing stinks @ this stage.

Old 15-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #291
NaughtyGT

aarrrrrgggggg!!!!

couldn't take it anymore Spoke again with workshop. Discussed another option to get this car BOOSTED!!!! Seriously, I can't handle the turd NA! I would sell it to a gay boy & buy a friggin worked Ford XR6 actually in all honesty I have a sore friekin neck from sitting on both Carsales & EGay searching out Aussie muscle BA XR6's & XR8's .....................then..........I had to go to workshop to pick up some screws I need for my MX6 interior (mistakenly taken along with nuts/washers/bolts for the Merc) &.......looked HARD @ the ol' beast one last time before contemplating pissin it off to a new owner I'd had enough of the workshop expense bull****!

So, says I, what can be done to get the bassad boosted, forgetting the insane expense of the EFI & just going with the already installed LPG? Even a 2nd hand Garrett for now? I don't care! Use the old intercooler & piping etc...

So. Here it is! A couple of weeks & hopefully the little bugger will be ready to take down & register. Then, either I have the turbo work completed or I do it myself. Either way it will be boosted haha I'll work out the details after it's on the road legally. First things first!

Basically it will come home stock LPG (all refurbished up & nice) with the custom plenum & TB (this will be used later for boosting = no waste of $$$'s) & just a 2nd hand zorst system & whatever bull****'s needed to get it on the road, @ least it'll be economical & different again
sigh*.................

Old 15-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #292
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
15 pages of fun and lots of learning going on here. if only the work at the shop (aka money pit!!!) was the same... good luck and hope to see some positive progress soon!
Old 15-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #293
NaughtyGT

If @ least 1 member learns from my pain then I guess it's been @ least a little worth it......I guess

Workshops aren't for me anymore. Even if I have to take it back only to get what I need done out of the way with this car. Never will I entrust a shop to work on any of my cars again.

Anyway. That said. Maybe it'll get a little more exciting up ahead soon?

Old 04-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #294
NaughtyGT

Was looking @ an XR6T LSD recently but decided to let it go for now. Money better spent for immediate needs. Will be looking more into it though when the time comes that's for sure.

Looks like car won't be too long now before I can retrieve it from the infamous workshop Throttle body is being fitted to custom inlet plenum then, off to the powder-coaters for a nice matt/satin black, to give it a stealth look from the jerks in blue here. This will go for all go-fast bits inc IC piping I should here from them in about a week, prolly longer with their track record lol. Anyway, progress all the same!

Been looking into twin scroll hot sides & zorst mani's yesterday & today. As long as the workshop takes back the GT35R that they said they had a buyer for, I will most likely be getting the smaller, better adapted for my driving needs, GT3071R. This turbo has a smaller comp wheel but good turbine efficiency (basically the size ratio between the comp wheel diameter & turbine wheel diameter). I've got a supplier emailing the states for a twin scroll t3 or 4 flange zorst housing to mate to the GT30 guts. Will prolly go with the billet wheel & ceramic bearings, as with the previous GT35R I bought. Will be using the smaller hotside trim to to aid in spooling. The billet wheel will spool better too & being twin scroll, along with the twin scroll manifold, will make use of the pulse cycle of the exhaust valves = very Also, using a twin scroll, because you split the hotside flange diameter in half (split pulse), you can go bigger on the hotside A/R hehe

I kinda envisage mating the older twin turbo philosophy with a modern single turbo. Gain the low-end pick up whilst still having good mid to top power using the twin scroll design. This allows better scavenging of zorst gases & better efficiency/economy. Something I've always been about from the start!

I'm determined to get this 300E up & off it's ass swiftly. Doing all work myself except for fabrication work. Spending $$$'s on low-down performance rather than HP figures. I want the best 0-60 time I can possibly get on this dinosaur LPG set up. WHo knows, may be a fun thing when it's finished?

My only dilemma timewise is I may have to shelve the actual fitment til' I move in about a year or so up to Queensland,....YEP! comin back to my old digs Chica!!! prolly the Gold Coast?where I'll have to get another RWC see? I may do the fab work & stuff in the meantime to keep the project going along @ some pace.

May even position the turbo 'underneath' the zorst manifold to hide it from view as opposed to on top as before? Hmmmmm........

Old 16-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #295
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Any Update ?

Honestly feel for you - sounds like you getting stuffed around all the time.
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #296
Drakh

Car: Black Lantis BA 2.5L KLZE
like its all been as much fun as a kick in the teeth
Drakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #297
NaughtyGT

Guys, I wish it were over. But if I let these pathetic losers beat me well.....I really hope (beg!!!!!) noone on this forum ever puts their car into a performance workshop. They are wanks of the highest degree!

All I am waiting for is to get the car home & go from there. Lifetime lesson learnt once & for all. Btw, after speaking to others, it's not unusual for this to happen. As I said. Workshops are pathetic & yeah, it is a kick in the head, only worse......

Old 16-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #298
NaughtyGT

Update:

well............just under a month & a half to finish the custom inlet manifold, hone out & re-jet the throttle body and re-route the cable & make a custom bracket etc///////.....not bad for an a-hole workshop ha?

I'm stuck with the GT35 turbo for now. They never sold it off.....

So......as it stands, car will be arriving home on flatbed somewhere around lunchtime here today. The beast comes back haha

So now begins the pita work here @ home for me. Alot of niggling things to sort from here. Basically I want to do things step by step. First gimee an exhaust system up using stock manifolds. Next, purchase & fit a new LPG evaporator. Then, re-connect all the gas lines same as they were prior to going to shop. Re-wire stuff in bay & sort the ignition system out. Replace any lines, vac etc. Basically get it running!

Once it's up & running next is to swap out the front brake assemblies. Fit new springs & maybe shocks if they're stuffed?

Then move on to powder-coating the wheels & fitting new tyres. Then gimee guards, fit spacers, whatever it needs to get them to fit.

Fit the sound system and then go from there..........

Old 17-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #299
NaughtyGT

Got the car back eventually @ around 3 yesterday so, whole day was wasted waiting around for toe truck Anyway what's new huh?

Now that I am stuck with the new Garrett I need to rethink how I am putting her back together........due to turbo supposedly being sold off for me @ workshop (hat's new?) I was going to simply fix LPG set up for now & get it going stock for RWC & rego. Now I have to rethink plans again.

If I do end up turboing it now, I don't want to waste time/money having to redo it again later for boosting. May be better to do it now & get it over & done with. Gather up bits & pieces I still have here & piece it back together Yeah fun

At least I have it away from the work shop! & they didn't even bother to make up a throttle cable bracket for me as they stated they would (what's new?) as I also need a new cable fabricated somehow???????? No idea @ this stage how to do this

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 18-04-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 17-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #300
Flyblown

Car: 88 BF ss, Familia GTR ,KH laser sedan 1.6 4WD Auto
Hey Tim great to here that she if finally at home. I know this has been a total pain in the ass experience for you. Like i said before they will promise you the Moon and deliver a Browneye. Hope this helps with the cable I here they are pretty good.
www.tgacablemakers.com.au
Flyblown is offline   Reply With Quote