Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 17-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
slayasty

Car: Mazda 323f BG 1993
Knocking noise, increase by velocity and turning right

Hi,

So I have noticed a knocking sound coming from the front wheels. the rate of the knocking increases with speed. also I noticed that when turning right the sound amplifies. At first I tought it was from the right wheel, but now its from the left wheel.

I did take it to the mechanic about this problem but could not figure out what was wrong. We even lifted the car and drove it in gear but no noise was coming. the noise only comes when its in contact with the road. The mechanic said that so far everything is how it should when he examined the bottom of the car.

I noticed that the problem started after I replaced the right ball joint.
Another Problem I noticed is that my steering wheel when straightened, the car goes to the right but the alignment is perfect. could this be also related?

Thanks!
slayasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 17-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
TheMAN

Car: .
seized brake caliper + bad CV joint

if your mechanic can't figure out something so simple, it's time to find another one
Old 17-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Wheels can be aligned left to right but if not done with care the steering wheel can be off centre and not cause a problem. Does sound like not enough care was taken when the ball joint was replaced.
Old 17-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
slayasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
seized brake caliper + bad CV joint

if your mechanic can't figure out something so simple, it's time to find another one
I see. however what does the brake caliper have to do with the problem described?

The mechanic could not hear the noise clearly so maybe thats why he could not understand what the problem is.
Old 17-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
TheMAN

if the caliper is seized, the car will pull to a side
however, if it is fine, then the ball joint replacement may have altered the alignment... any time you change major suspension components, alignment adjustments should be made.... but if everything is verified within spec afterwards, it might be just tyre pull... rotate the tyres and see if the pull goes away or moves to another place..... a bad alignment will cause an uneven wear on tyres and once corrected you may notice a pull
Old 17-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
slayasty

the car pulls abit to the right when I accelerate. however I just bought new tyres and the alignment is good so I dont see a reason to rotate the tyres.

by the way. if the cv joints are bad, wouldnt i notice that the cv boot is torn or anything like that? I checked both cv boots and they are fine

Last edited by slayasty; 17-07-2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 18-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
TheMAN

a CV joint can still go bad if the boot is good
Old 18-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
slayasty

Oh I see. Ok
Old 19-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
slayasty

well today I checked the inner boots. and guess what, the right inner boot was literarly missing from the shaft. only 1 part of it which is connected to the shaft remains. the rest is probably somewhere in the road. Also I noticed yesterday that after a very long aggresive driving, the left wheel started with a high pitch whistle. however it cant be the bearing as it was checked and was in good condition. I stopped the car abit at the fuel station, started driving again and the whistle noise went away. what could it be? cv joint related?
Old 20-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #10
TheMAN

just because the bearing feels good doesn't mean it's still good
these are things you should replace as the car is so old now

the pulling to the side thing could also be CV joint related as it does not articulate as well as before and it is binding, causing uneven power output distribution from the gearbox

fix what's broken first and go from there

Tags
knocking, sound, wheel