Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #81
maztech

Car: ......
LOL who really gives a toss -- I thought we talk about car stuff not have english lessons
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #82
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
here here.........sometimes this site gets a little silly &.............b-o-r-i-n-g! Maybe that's why we have a go at each other for silly things huh?

I might turbo the 5 just to make it a little more interesting

Let's get back to being friendly as I've noticed now & then that there is a sort of Mexican stand-off between a few here. Can we be on the same side?

All said, your all a great bunch just, keep it that way

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #83
maztech

Iam on holidays end of next week, good idea lets turbo your 5. Maybe i been taking the piss and just having a bit of a banter
Old 07-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #84
NaughtyGT

for now I want to finish the GT & get it outta the garage I'm waiting for Gav though to comment on his Lazer beasty but, he's holding out on us all Aren't you Gaven???? (he's my B6T buddy hehe)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #85
maztech

Is there any pics of your 2 BFs anywhere
Old 07-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #86
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
lol ok like i said im esl...
i didnt know that it has to make a word rather than a string of letters.. that being said im calling it DISI (as in dissy) so it catches on (like quantas did, it wasnt a word untill someone made it a word)
Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #87
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztech View Post
Is there any pics of your 2 BFs anywhere
I'll wack a few up on my name change thread so as I don't screw this thread up

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #88
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Eh, what? Aren't you meant to be talking about fuel additives? Ummm, I haven't worked out what to do about my cracked head yet... Lots of options, but all of them are difficult.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #89
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Eh, what? Aren't you meant to be talking about fuel additives? Ummm, I haven't worked out what to do about my cracked head yet... Lots of options, but all of them are difficult.
^^ it got BORING hehe

Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #90
Phraze

Car: 1999 323
I love the way you all had a big Nasty fight over octane in fuel, shook hands and made up then decided to have another fight over acronyms.

thanks Sleepy Gonzalez for the comparison. Its not that i'm not happy with the cars economy, its just i was trying to do better.
Phraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #91
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

its mainly cus im stubborn
Old 08-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #92
maztech

E10 and normal unleaded we get in aust is crap and thats all there is to it hey Tony LOL
Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #93
NaughtyGT

^^ that was my friggin point all along, ah sheeesh! rofl

hands up already & runnin' for the door.........you had to open the can again maz, didn't you....hoo hoo

least Phraze spelt acronym right.....hehehe

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 08-12-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #94
maztech

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
I do believe (all due respect) it's about time for the "research" advice button to be pressed? There is a miriad of information regarding the best/most practical/scientific way to gain power/keep economy. My two bobs worth: High octane (95-98) will keep engine clean, aid response & hinder the need for tuning & injector cleaners. The trick is to get the car clean & running well, then keeping it that way. The higher the octane (no matter the comp ratio) the cleaner, better performance & less maintenance you will experience!
I think we will just repost this one hey
Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #95
NaughtyGT

ah no..................pls no!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #96
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by maztech View Post
E10 and normal unleaded we get in aust is crap and thats all there is to it hey Tony LOL
CRAP?
How about you drop the emotive "Today Tonight style" pick your own meaning words and start forming reasoned arguments.

Copy and paste, anecdotal evidence and hear say strictly forbidden.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #97
maztech

But what about a octane booster

WTF is that about Cosmo

How many cars have you delt with for running rough faults , pinging and dirty injectors and blocked fuel filters Cosmo ?

Last edited by maztech; 08-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #98
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

i said what i had to say, once, im staying out of it this time, but i will entertain myself by reading it
Old 09-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #99
Brisbane_boy

Car: 2002 323 astina
lol, im with u on this one tony.

If your not allowed to go fast, you might as well look fast
Brisbane_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #100
NaughtyGT

look I'll say this @ the risk of offending/stirring narrow-minded, otherwise well-meaning societal contributors.

If I have a lawn mower & I use 91 octane & it runs ****. I put 95 octane in it, runs better. What am I to conclude?

I meet my wife & she owns a Hyundia Excel & it knocks, pings bla bla. I ask her, what fuel do you use. She answers, "cheapest!" (no sexism but, what you'd expect said). I recommend she use @ least 95, say Vortex. She takes my advice &, sure enough, car runs without any sign of naughty noises.
What do I conclude?

Jesse & myself find better economy using 98 & he runs a turbo which, if you want to get technically specific due to risk of detonation, you shouldn't run the higher octane due to the lower compression silly manufacturers like using. Btw, you can successfully use higher compression with turboes, done all the time! You just use larger turboes if you want the go go & keep boost to a low. You want technical proficiency I here you ask? Add an RRFR & you can easily raise boost quite significantly! You need to get the fuel right. Period! Sooner or later, you will hit a wall with fuel (lack of) & will need to manage it via piggyback or SA ECU. Then you can use larger injectors. Finally, you will reach the limit to what your bottom end & even valve springs can handle. Turbo engines have stronger bottom ends & springs. People don't turbo stock comp engines NOT because of the higher comp' BUT because of fuel management issues & the $$$$ of the set up! This is why I advise those wishing to turbo their engines to NOT! Go buy a turboed engine complete with loom & ECU, then sort the IC out & assoc' gear. At least you have the peace of mind the engine won't blow apart.

I like to keep things simple due to the risk of losing people. This way they learn without predudice.

On that note, bottom line, 98 hasn't hurt our low comp cars perhaps due to proper tuning perhaps?

I do believe this subject of additives & octane ratings of fuels & where you buy them (which SS) is open to wide debate due to it's very nature.

You can research the facts & present them from the EXPERTS in the know but, problem you run into with this is, it does not happen in the real world, to EVERYONE nor, on EVERY VEHICLE driven.

I am glad there are those who research the chemistry behind fuel composition & then relay this info to others.

I do not however, appreciate the logic of anecdotal evidence NOT playing a part in this. In my profession, I deal with anecdotal evidence on a daily basis, proving science wrong all the time. If cars are not too unlike humans in the way what we put in them effects the way they perform, then it really is an amazing world we live in.

Has anyone come up with satisfactory EVIDENCE that proves/disproves how the Egyptian Pyramids came about? No, not what has been summised by the different fields of knowledge either. What are the COLD HARD facts.

See where this can go.

Use a good quality mid-range ron fuel & you should experience less time in the garage. If the higher octane fuels do carry a cleansing agent as they market, it will be better than a fuel that doesn't have it. Right? Cost-wise. That's up to the individual.

I still maintain that if I use the 95 octane in most cars, you avoid hassle. I still however support the use of 98 when it is cheapest (another way of saving $$$$). Fuel dockets are just a cruel gimmick by the Supermarkets & Petroleum Companies, merging for your $$$$ & driving the little guy (you & me) out of the picture! They have been caught, proven, had enquiries over tere disgusting amrket ways yet, they the rich, we the poor! SO bow & take your docket in. There's a good little sheepy!!!

It is not necessary imo to bag/rag other members due to there gramma. Shows your a toss. I have a degree, 2 diplomas bla bla bla, yet, my keyboard FREQUENTLY misses keys I've typed, causing me to back-track every bloody text I compose to add in the missed keys. I guess my kb is getting stuffed???

In the old old days, performance guys would use 1:3 of brake fluid & petrol & spray this in the TB whilst opening the rev range for 15 mins or so in order to clean the carbon build-up on valves & pistons. You can't use this now of course or else you will root your cat! You can however, use WD40 or CRC to get similar desired effect!

Oh & .....sorry mussing, I didn't realise the licence plate thing of Toni's. Tut tut to me

Have fun & drive the ting (see, I typed thing lol) already!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 09-12-2009 at 07:04 AM.