Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 30-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Ben

Car: MPS
Having a spark issue :/

Hey guys and lady guys,

As you may know already, my car took a recent ride on a tow truck about 3-4 weeks ago... This was because it lost its spark.. narrowed it down and turns out one of the ignition coils was dead. I only had the monies to replace one ($190 each )

Anyways, i replaced the dead one and all was happy. Then today it had the same issue again. So sure as punch the other coil was dead, as i was told it would be on the way out too. So i replaced it on the side of the road (Actually found somewhere who had one in stock! winning!) All was good again.

I was driving home and i live up a VERY VERY big hill (about 400 meteres above sea-level) and its not a windy road to soften it, just BAM up you go pretty much. Anyways, it started to shudder under pressure. I kept on going since i could pretty much see my driveway.

So i had a inspection, everything is plugged in fine, had spark etc. So what could be cause its loss of spark under pressure? I will change the spark plugs tomorrow just incase... Do you think it could need new leads also?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 30-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
sik astina

Car: Ba 1.8L Turbo astina
Send a message via MSN to sik astina
Check the leads, might have a split some where, had this happen to me before.
Old 30-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
Sounds like leads.. Or even very fouled plugs
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
maztech

Car: ......
Sill sounds electrical miss check ya plugs first then go from there.
Generally do plugs and coils together these cars run a wasted spark system so both plugs have to be clean, I don't do leads on them that often
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Ben

Thanks guys, I might get a mechanic to do my leads...get him to change the plugs too...the leads do look very old and a bit worn.. Will check for splits etc tomorrow but
Old 30-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
umm really! its a 5 mintue job...?
Old 30-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
on our car its a pretty simple job and I could do it in only a few min.
Buy new lead and plugs and see how it is then.
If its still playing up then go to a mechanic.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
maztech

Car: ......
Ben ---- go to repco in the morning and buy a set of spark plugs in either nipon denso, or NGK and put em in then drive it ...... Easy done cost ya about 20 dollars
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Ben

I know how to do spark plugs, not the slightest clue how to do leads...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
You have to take the leads off to remove the plugs
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
Ben

Yes I know that... But that's about all I know haha... I'll get my mechanic friend to come do it/teach me.. I really am not mechanically minded
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
take one off at a time. that way you CANNOT possibly stuff it up. if you get it wrong, youll know about it!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
Ben

I'm just going to bump this up rather than making a whole new thread.

So Re-read what i said up there ^^^ Then come back down here

So basically i replaced my coils, this seemed to fix the problem, it then occurred again, so i changed the leads. It then started to have a splatter under pressure. I then took it to a "real" mechanic, where he changed my fuel filter. It was disgustingly dirty, he lets me hang around while he does things (Helps me learn) this fixed it for a very long time, as it's been 2 months since i originally posted this. All was good, then today, it started to cough again, i cried a little inside. So i don't know why but i immediately turned the air-con off, and it seemed to went away. As i was driving past my mechanic (He's a friend of mine) I called in and told him about it's so called "hiccup"

We went for a drive and sure as, it was right as daises. He asked if it's been in a crash due to the air-con thing, where i turned it off and it was right... He seemed to think it was over-gassed, causing it to draw too much power. Could this be?

He then said "It might be the fuel pump" Which would make sense, however it's only having a cough up now, normally when fuel pumps are on the way out they have a spit, rant and splutter then shortly after they die? and not seem to go away after about 2 mins of driving?

I dont know what it is, does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be? As it is right now, the car is running fine, i'll continue to drive it and i'll see if it happens again.

Last edited by Ben; 09-11-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Try cleaning out the insides of the spark plug barrels? I developed a misfire after upgrading my coil to a higher output one. Turns out there was some old oil/grease down around 2x of the spark plugs and the current just found a path of lower resistance. I took the rubber boots off the ends of the leads where they connect to the plugs and sure enough there was oil and crap in there too. So I cleaned out the leads and the crap around the plugs with a rag on a screwdriver and it's all good now.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
Ben

Thanks Derb, i was going to investigate the spark plugs again to see if they have gained dirt over them in the past 2 months since i put them in.. Just waiting for the car to cool down now haha..

I'll give it a good clean out while im playing in the holes
Old 09-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Fuel pump could be a possibility, but I'm with you in regards to their behaviour. They normal just die and don't give much of a warning. However, if your fuel filter was that badly blocked, it may have caused back pressure on the fuel pump which may have weakened it.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
TheMAN

Car: .
if the fuel filter was replaced without replacing the rubber seals for the fuel pump (the fuel filter is in the fuel tank), a fuel leakage could develop from the torn rubber seals, which in turn causes loss of fuel pressure

overcharged A/C causing power loss doesn't make sense... the system has protective switches which causes it to shut off from over pressurisation.... what could cause the A/C compressor to increase drag though is the lack of lubrication... yes, the A/C requires lubricating oil in order for the compressor to not burn up!

if I were you, I will start by investigating the ignition system (coils, leads, plugs) first, then fuel system (fuel injectors, pump/pressure), and for vacuum leaks
Old 09-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Fuel pump could be a possibility, but I'm with you in regards to their behaviour. They normal just die and don't give much of a warning. However, if your fuel filter was that badly blocked, it may have caused back pressure on the fuel pump which may have weakened it.
Thanks, i'll check with the mechanic... Just checked the spark plugs, they were clean, holes were also fine. Took it for a drive, coughing like a... Like..a..well, a coughing thing Unlike this morning where it was just cough cough and it was fine. Completely struggling to actually move itself now.... I'm about to cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
if the fuel filter was replaced without replacing the rubber seals for the fuel pump (the fuel filter is in the fuel tank), a fuel leakage could develop from the torn rubber seals, which in turn causes loss of fuel pressure

overcharged A/C causing power loss doesn't make sense... the system has protective switches which causes it to shut off from over pressurisation.... what could cause the A/C compressor to increase drag though is the lack of lubrication... yes, the A/C requires lubricating oil in order for the compressor to not burn up!

if I were you, I will start by investigating the ignition system (coils, leads, plugs) first, then fuel system (fuel injectors, pump/pressure), and for vacuum leaks
I'll check with the mechanic if the rubber seals were replaced. The thing is, its been a good 2 months running without a problem.. Good 3000kms on it since then.

A/C, i didn't think it was, sounded dodge to me. When i turn the A/C off sure it gets better, but i only think so because its decreasing the load on the engine. Mechanic is a bit of a wank. ha

Btw, the coils, leads, plugs, fuel filter were all replaced. So this is why im bamboozled. Normally fuel pumps just POP and there dead, not chug chug along even if there is a electrical fault. Am i right?

Urgh this car is giving me grief...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #19
TheMAN

Car: .
bad fuel pumps can also be weak fuel pumps... not necessarily dead
Old 09-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
bad fuel pumps can also be weak fuel pumps... not necessarily dead
So it looks like the case of "Guessing" and hoping we get it right.

How much do fuel pumps cost these days?