Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 16-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
GISS-90BG

Car: 1990 BG Astina
Reliable BPT?

This may sound like a stupid question to the more mechanically minded, but is it possible to run a reliable, daily driven BPT converted Astina? I'm talking about a BG but I spose' it applies to all models. I'm talking about a car running ~140kw at the fronts. I understand that turbo does mean increased maintenance and higher risks to the engine, but if you convert a car to BPT, does that mean it will a frequent visitor to the autoshop for rebuilds if you can't do the fixes yourself?

The reason I ask is I constantly see people saying "I've gone through X gearboxes / X motors" and it really scares me away from the idea. Is the gearbox the weak link? Can anything do to safeguard against it?

This is from the perspective of somebody who wouldn't be capable of diagnosing and fixing small issues that some of you would be able to. Of course, I'd be willing to learn.

Feel free to direct me to a previous thread if its appropriate. I couldn't find one.

Cheers.
Old 16-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
ive been through a box without a turbo, treat it nice and you;ll be ok.

you're sensible, ive seen you drive. A BPT should last you a while wiithout much trouble.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
I think it's probably possible to have it reliable and daily driven, but a BPT setup is a much more complicated than the stock one and i think that with that complexity finding problems like any engine is slightly more difficult. I don't know from experience though, but i'm sure that's the price you pay for having more power. More things are moving, there are more parts, more things will break and that's more money spent and you'd have to learn just to make sure you don't waste your money.
Old 16-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
GISS-90BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smikey View Post
I think it's probably possible to have it reliable and daily driven, but a BPT setup is a much more complicated than the stock one and i think that with that complexity finding problems like any engine is slightly more difficult. I don't know from experience though, but i'm sure that's the price you pay for having more power. More things are moving, there are more parts, more things will break and that's more money spent.
Yeah, I can deal with extra costs. You'd get that if you had any turbo car I presume. What I'm really worried about is that I don't have the budget, or desire, to use my car as a toy and drive something else to/from work or wherever. I wouldn't want to have to have it sit in a workshop for 1 out of every 3 months.
Old 16-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
it should be ok, tune it conservativelly so its not stressed to the max and if its all done properly it should be ok, provided its not abused too much.

if cost is no issue then do it properly first time round and no trouble should follow

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Do 6000rpm launches in an Astina, and you'll blow a box - turbo or NA.

Service a BPT in the same way you would a stock Astina, and you'll never have a problem. Letting it cool down a little more before you park it helps too.

No reason why it shouldn't be as reliable as a stock BG.

You'll only have problems when you start reaching the limits of the mechanicals.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
GISS-90BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Do 6000rpm launches in an Astina, and you'll blow a box - turbo or NA.

Service a BPT in the same way you would a stock Astina, and you'll never have a problem. Letting it cool down a little more before you park it helps too.

No reason why it shouldn't be as reliable as a stock BG.

You'll only have problems when you start reaching the limits of the mechanicals.
Alright, that's comforting. You make a good point with the 6000rpm launches. So I suppose there is little difference, its just that unlike in something like a Skyline, which can be upgraded to have strong, race like gearboxes, there is nothing like this for an Astina, so you have to be more gentle?
Old 16-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
newman
Banned

Car: KF Laser fwd BPT
you can upgrade the box sure. but be prepared to pay $$$
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Think of it this way - if you double/triple the power of a Skyline, you'll start to blow **** up too.

You can build a better/stronger Astina gearbox, as it's usually 3rd that blows. hence why a stronger straight cut 3rd gear exists!

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
mate, of course you can have a reliable BPT, look at the Subi's...there gearbox is weak but they last for ages...as long as its all tuned and kept serviced like any car it will last for ages...past the 160kw mark is pushing it for reliabilty issues me thinks....unless you rebuild before you put it in....

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Exodus323
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Exodus323
my astina is a daily driver with 143kw at the wheels i have had only basic issues with my car. but every car has problems. treat it nice (not that i do anyway) and thay are a very strong moter. make sure you buy a bpt in good condition and its tuned good. change oil every 5000km and she will be fine.
gear box wise i got a g- series box and i have given it hell and its still fine no noises no crunching no little metal bits when i change oil.
Old 19-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #12
FEM

Car: Familia/Astina GTX
Send a message via MSN to FEM
BPT's are fun

My Story.. http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=394[/CENTER]
FEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
hey ... just found this thread ... i have a BG SP with a BPT in it and i drive it about 50k's everyday to work then go play with it on the weekends in the mountains mechanicly the only things i have had to fix is the thermostat (which was the original one - should have replaced it when i got the engine) and a wheel bearing. the cv's are starting to flog out but there is a heap of k's on them so im not suprised. i get around 450 - 500 k's to a tank without babying it everywhere and it never misses a beat. yeah there are a few oil leaks here and there but are only minor and to be expected for an engine like this that has done 150000k's

so the answer is yes, you can have a reliable BPT and can drive it and enjoy it without breaking it. i cnat say the same for your licence tho . put 25psi thru it or drop massive brun outs everywhere and you might start running into trouble ... but tell me a car that wont?

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #14
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
I'll jump in here. I think the BPT is easily one of the most reliable "performance" motors out there.

If you read through FordLaser.com or here you'll see a lot of stories of people doing some really amazing stuff and the motor either takes it, or is quickly fixed up with minimal fuss.

Off hand I can think of timing belt failures, cooling failures, stupid boost levels, intake piping failures, sensor failures, oil leaks etc etc.

My own experience with Stinky (considering the swap is now 6 years old) has been excellent. It was swapped in with only a new timing belt and somewhere in that following 4 years developed a water leak, had a bunch of weird wiring done to run the fuel pump, had a aftermarket fuel reg leak for months giving very weird fuel control, had no knock sensor, had a bunch of vacuum leaks and a lot of leakage from teh intake plumbing and yet it ran and ran well.

As I've been fixing these up the motor gets smoother and quieter and stronger. When it gets it's new water pump and timing belt I expect it to be back to being "fault-free" and complete for the first time in years...

I think most people have found the same, get a BP-T do the usual maintenance related items when swappign (we've all seen lists of what to do in other threads) and you shoudl be in for years of happy driving.

Don't abuse the engine or the 'box and you should be driving for years (probably a lot more than the 6 years Stinky has done without the complete list of "do this durign the swap") without problems.

Turn up the boost, drive like a tool etc and expect your luck to change, just like _any_ other engine that gets 130kw+ from 1.8L

A.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #15
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina GT Turbo
Send a message via MSN to dave0r
yes the BPT is a good motor...not a Great motor...but good, its old and now becoming outdated

i run 160wkw all day, everyday. my motors fine, and ive heard of people getting 210wkw from stock internals on 16psi.(big turbo). so nothing wrong with that BPT power

the reason i say its a good motor is something like a 4g63 can handle 220wkw (4wd) on stock internals on the old evo 1
and the newer evo 6 engines can take over 260 wkw (4wd) on stock internals, and yes i know its a 2.0lt, but the BP is a 1.85lt anyways

and lets not for get the "vtec" peoples. b18c ,210wkw , td05h, 8psi .stock internals,
dave0r is offline   Reply With Quote