Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Motorsports

Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
SIlversp20

Car: 2002 BJII sp20
Talking Starion Drift / Track Car

Hey all

About 6 or so months ago I brought a 1982 Mitsubishi JA Starion 5sp manual for the measly sum of $400.00.

Engine
4G63 sohc turbo 2.0L engine.
Interior
completely stripped. only front seats and Dash left.
Exterior
relatively straight
some smaller spots of rust

Plans
get the thing running - Almost there. runs but is smelly.
new starting system - Starter button, Ignition switch, Acc Switch.
Install Boost, water temp and Oil pressure Gauges and also a bigger tacho.
different exhaust system I think it is closer to a 2" system but am looking to go at least 3" later in the year.
possible convert it to DOHC using a VR4 head and upgrade the turbo and associated parts.

PICS

Engine Bay

View of interior from Boot

Exhaust mid

Stock Turbo and Bits

Front with bar removed showing Stock Oil cooler

Stock rims painted black

Drivers side from front. Will get a better Picture when I can.

Dash with standard wheel.

Obviously needs a far bit of work done before the first outing on the track but hopefully after the wedding in July I will have the time and money to continue with it.
Some of the guys on the Austarion forums have made 400hp with these things. so they have potential.
I get excited everytime I work on it cause I know what it could end up being.

all comments welcome.
Cheers SIlversp20

Last edited by SIlversp20; 12-05-2011 at 04:09 PM.
SIlversp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Awesome, i love Starions. I keep being warned off by a mate that had one - he reckoned it rusted worse than an Italian car!

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
SIlversp20

cheers mate
there was a few other cars I was looking at like skylines and silvias etc but this will stand out more I think.
have a friend I am splitting the work and the cost with so should be off to a running start soon. thats the plan anyway.
she has a v8 landcruiser for towing her racecar and car trailer to use so thats one less thing to hire.
Silversp20
Old 12-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Its a good base for fun mate and for that rock bottom price, who could argue.

Im getting married in July as well...busy month

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
GOD it's great to see these things still around.
They were fun in the 90's and they should still be alot of fun.
your plan looks good and those engines are strong IMO stronger then the DOHC or early galant and GSR's. Just from my experience, even with leaking head gasket can still get you home. Won't go the next morning but will get you home. JA is an early model so no Cat issues or even heaps of emission issues. but for a drift car great base.

Good luck wth it. Need mroe drift cars in Aus
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Yeah. I thought a getting one of these lil' relics a little while back. I drove in one back when they were just on the market. These early 80's turbo cars were pretty light so went well. Rust would be my main concern, just as buying an early Corolla or Datsun. 70's & early 80's engines were pretty bullet proof but the cars came over on the ships rusting.....eiiiikkkk! I never liked the Mitsu engines though in general. Oil leakers it seems but the Starion always impressed me. The Cordia was a great, very under-rated performer too. Same engine if I remember? The 5 speeds were the go with early beasts.

Do the ol' girl proud & get some geegee's under the hood & drift away I say haha

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
SIlversp20

wow thanks for the replies guys
i'm excited to see what potential it has.
I cant find too much rust which is good. there is some very visible stuff on the drivers side on the body where the door closes, and on the passenger side just behind the door where the vent thingy is, its pretty much cactus.
I'll have to learn how to fix it and repaint it.
Should be a good project.
I moved it out of the garage the other day and just wanted to go for a drive / fang around the block to see what it was really like. I've only driven it on and off the trailer.
Sigh
I wish it was done. Id be taking it out tonight
Old 13-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Nice.
My old room-mate/current mechanic owners heaps of these. And lots of parts cars.
A orange one.
A JB that turned into a rally car.
A red one that is for sale.
A white widebody.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
Yeah. I thought a getting one of these lil' relics a little while back. I drove in one back when they were just on the market. These early 80's turbo cars were pretty light so went well. Rust would be my main concern, just as buying an early Corolla or Datsun. 70's & early 80's engines were pretty bullet proof but the cars came over on the ships rusting.....eiiiikkkk! I never liked the Mitsu engines though in general. Oil leakers it seems but the Starion always impressed me. The Cordia was a great, very under-rated performer too. Same engine if I remember? The 5 speeds were the go with early beasts.

Do the ol' girl proud & get some geegee's under the hood & drift away I say haha
early 80's rust - mid 80's no rust and it depended on where it was made or assembled.

Sorry for off topic
take early telstar and 626's top range 626's had the good paint as long as it was not repaired here it would not rust. all fords rusted. by mid 80's about 85-86 they made changes by late 80's Rust not an issue. the steps they jumped were massive. Plus by that time ADR's demanded THEN thicker metal. it's why a RX-7 GEN 1 door from the US or Aus spec has thicker metal - use a Jap-sepc door it's thinner. BY mid 80's we had the side intrution ADR's inline iwth the material thickness etc.
since the 1990's and when Howard lessend the ADR's to allow for the good old $14990 car to remvoe the old rust buckets - funny they became the death traps. ADRS just followed either Euro or US safety specs. Lucky our local industry has help keep some LAWS out. Like air bags in 92 but we went 95 and now by 2012 or 13 all cars must have Stability contorl.

Back on the starion. They ain't that bad for Rust. The problem with Mitsubishi motors is a bit like there electrical - don't like abuse. Ever seen a Van or Sigma or lancer if abused not blow oil? Those expres vans use the same engine as CC lancers just larger and now with EGI. sorry EFI.

But even if not abused I've seen some burn oil them - valve stems - but the rings Oh the rings on mid 80's Signa's magnas common as. Just could not take the abuse from the aussie heat. I always found Vic cars didn't burn like QLD or NSW. Bought a 93 GSR back form VIC for parts used the motor brillitant went into a coupe latter on. They just don't like oil abuse. Including putting really thin oil in them. Fools put too thin a oil into some of the magna V6's and it kils them noise and ticking.

I think from memory - as mate had one in purple back in the mid 90's he had sigma turbo bits but I remember his brakes were from another mitsubishi and they bolt on fit under his 15inch Turbo sigma wheels or similar. Maybe you could find a latter intercooled version and takes it's injection system etc. Not sure if easy to find still but might keep costs down.

Makes me want to Watch Jakie Chan and Richard Keil in Cannonball Run 2 in there Starion turbo LOL
Old 16-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
SIlversp20

Check this guy out.
at about 7:00 it gets wet and verry slippery.
simply awsome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjGNdpx-t8U&NR=1
Old 16-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
SIlversp20

Did some more work on the car yesterday.
Redirected the new wiring for the starter setup.
Took out some of the air-con equipment as it wont be needed
Just going to make up a panel face to house the gauges and switches then it will look the business.
possibly getting an new exhaust for it is 2.5" or 3" but its in melbourne for 40 bucks.
also a nice SAAS steering wheel and boss kit for it from same guy. will see if he takes the offer.
Picked up a racing harness from a friends HQ race car that she no longer uses. so that might go in tonight.

So current list to get it ready is -
flush fuel system and replace parts as needed.
Oil and Filter - done
steering wheel - after market one depending on seller edit - now purchased awaiting delivery
exhaust - waiting for seller from Melbourne to get back, or cut off muffler on current system and weld on a straight pipe. 2nd option probably cheaper.
Gauge and Switched for starter - make up a home for the gauges and switches. or going to buy a 3 gauge holder http://www.justjap.com/store/product...cat=325&page=1 like that one.
Harness - install racing harness (tonight)
gauges - boost gauge to be installed, Oil temp to be bought and installed, water temp to be purchased and installed

i'm sure there is other stuff which i will update later just cant think of them at the moment.
EDIT almost forgot to mention that I have a manual boost controller to install also.
plenty to do

Last edited by SIlversp20; 17-05-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 16-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
A white widebody.
This one?

Old 17-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhog View Post
Fools put too thin a oil into some of the magna V6's and it kils them noise and ticking
The early Magna V6 was also infamous for blowing head gaskets. I remember warning a friend of my sisters about it. Guess what happened only months later?

Those early Chrysler Sigma's were horrible. Pathetic performance, esp' the 2.0L's. My brother had one & it was bad. To be fair though, he said the earlier 1.8L was it? was a better revver. I just never took a liking to Mitsu engines in general as you've pointed out with the oil burning & smoke blowing issues

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 17-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
mkid

Car: BK 3 SP23
Send a message via MSN to mkid
a mates ce lancer kept blowing various gaskets and seals in the 2 years he had it
so many times i had to come and tow him home in my dads commodore
heaps of kids had them in the last 2 years of school ( when everyone had gotten there p's)
by the end of high school i dont think there was any left running
altho my boss had a old v6 magna with 300,000ks on it and it was stlll going, blew a bit of smoke tho
has a VE now

Last edited by mkid; 17-05-2011 at 07:48 AM.
mkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
rodhog

Well A neighbour had from new Mid spec 90's Magna V6 in the Maroon of the era. I think it sold in 2004 it was still like Brand new on the outside only 50,000km's on it.
No accident only driven by Fat lady and husband.
Sold to family friends. It was always garaged. 1 month latter - Faded paint on the bumpers and smokey exhaust.
but can you name a mitsubishi you really would buy 2nd hand ?

Just on them Photos that looks like the LAtter model GSR type. or had funny name to it. I still think they have 80's cool looks but - oh well.
Old 21-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
SIlversp20

installed the Manual Boost controller today and installed the boost gauge waiting for the gauge holder to arrive next week to finish the gauge install.

Gave the engine a degrease and a high pressure bath.
Still haven't found any leaks as yet but will keep an eye out for any.

I am going to pick up the welded diff soon when time and money permit.
Old 21-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Chuck a small intercooler on it if you're going to be driving hard I reckon. Love it though, jealous much.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhog View Post
but can you name a mitsubishi you really would buy 2nd hand ?
No! But a late model EVO would tempt me like Eden's Tree

Old 21-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
No! But a late model EVO would tempt me like Eden's Tree
To steal- thrash - yes. to own NO. I've problery been under too many with rust issues - oil issues - 4WD system issues etc. Majority is nothing major but due to poor owners and know how. the amount I 've found import and local delivered with 4WD issues- mainly the system not bleed right during clutch and other worn part changes.

Rust on 90% of non local delivered. but have found the odd few with rust issues including a ralliart hatch never smashed but rusting in a car yard under it's rubbers.

I hate WRx's so it's the only reason I would get one over a WRX.
but of course I'd rather a V6 323 and blow the rest on coke and hookers
Old 23-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
SIlversp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Chuck a small intercooler on it if you're going to be driving hard I reckon. Love it though, jealous much.
Thats in the plans for the not too distant future just deciding which way to go.
Stock intercooler or do everything myself etc.