Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Motorsports

Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
z100

Car: 2003 Protege Sp20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Introducing the Tiida really killed them here. Should have at least branded it as a Pulsar - that would have helped.
Introducing the Tiida = Fail. Using that Donkey Kim Cartrell(sorry rodhog) to market it? Double that.

Not having a SSS of any kind (as a halo car) didn't help much either.

Last edited by z100; 10-02-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling...
z100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #22
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
N15 was IRS, N16 was beam. As were Mazda 2, Toyota Corolla and more of similar nature in that era. Only recently have car makers gone back to IRS.

This will put them back into the limelight, and maybe they have a future plan that steps them back away from granny spec cars and into a sale race against mazda sportier range. Which has been leading sales for some years in various market segments.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #23
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Ryan: N15 is 'multi-link rear beam', which I don't consider IRS as one wheel is influenced by the other. They have an off-set boomerang shaped pannard of sorts too. There's not even a rear swaybar.

Rod: Personally I prefer the SR16-VE to the SR20-DE in stock trim, it has more power/torque everywhere. But both respond very well to breathing/exhaust mods, and the SR20 has more potential in that regard. UNTIL you stroke the SR16 to 2L [SR1620-VE], then you are looking at 200-225WHP with a cheapy fuel/ign computer [DFA if you're desperate], extractors and 2.5" exhaust.

Handling in the VZ-R is very good stock [a lot more reinforcing than SSS], but you are right about not being able to lower it. As with some Hondas, it seems to be best enjoyed at stock ride height. No real point comparing the N15 SSS to the BJ SP20 though, as they are a whole generation apart. Somewhat like comparing a VX Commodore to an AU Falcon... However, you can mod either car for an enjoyable ride, but the BJ can be much less coarse and more enjoyable if done right [Eibach/Tokiko].

EDIT: While I'm at it - I try not to be snob over rigid beam vs TTL [IRS], as after driving various cars I find very little evidence to say one is better than the other. Rigid beam offers more geometry radius [relative to the chassis] while IRS is effectively half that at best [relative to the road]. However in daily driving you may experience less upset on bumps with IRS. UNTIL you add a thick swaybar and end up with S-IRS. Rigid beam pretty much keeps the full surface of both tyres on the road [ignore geometry here], while S-IRS is more likely to load up the outer edge of your tyres due to the geometry/camber changing, even to the point of lifting the inside rear wheel clean off the road. Then again, lifting the inside rear wheel doesn't make for bad handling [205GTi, TX3, XR4]. So based on that I don't have any particular love for one or the other.

Last edited by chicaboo; 11-02-2012 at 02:51 AM.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
To answer that Simply
I love IRS and I don't like most forms of Rigid rear axle because I want my cake and I want to eat it and I want to eat your cake - that super model cake - that Funny Cake and any Cake I can.

Really I want best overall.
IRS suits MY roads I drive and it suits my Bum.
Must like I will never go back to winding windows. I haven't had a car in my family of long terms with winding windows since the 80's.

oh and yes you can put a thick sway bar on but what kills IRS is if you don't add soft enough springs with correct damping rate with long enough travel. One reason I love thick bars on a STOCK FE2 Suspension VR/VS with good low down power. You punt the ****er out so hard and early out of a corner and it won't step out. Excellent on a off camber corner.

For me it's hard to go back.

Oh yes N15 to BJ might be sliglht different Generation but then what about CBA to N15 ?
I'm sorry but I will never ever except a N15 as anything but Poor cheaped out ****ter N14. Nothing personal, Like I said I'm proberly Biased on my growing up around N14's.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #25
Ben

Car: MPS
My friend jake, (some of you have met) his n16 pulsar just hit 300 000kms...so they must be doing something right...Shame it's granny spec.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Funniest thing about Nissan joining the V8s is the comments on V8 supercars from the... um ? let's just say traditional V8 boofheads.
I wish the Kelly brothers well, they have a big job ahead of them.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
I really wanted to get a Nissan as my next work car, looked at the Maxima, not half as good as our 2006 Mazda 6, my parents had the 1998 touring edition until recently. Looked at the Xtrail but issues with their CVTs and oil going through the intake systems in the Renault sourced diesel and similar issues in the Petrol wrote it off. Can't afford a Pathfinder but my in laws one has had some weird issues. Renault used to be an awesome company for reliability, but both them and Nissan are down the toilet.

My Dad had Patrols for nearly 15 yrs, but with the 3Ls diesel engines blowing up and Nissan denying any responsibility, they sold their last never to buy again. 3 engines are 20k each is a bit much to bare, thankfully 1 was covered by his company, 1 was under duress and close to warranty and the last was sold just before it blew...NIssan never resolved that issue. We had one that was fine, but even the mid 90s diesels had fuel pump issues that Nissan never fixed.
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #28
Styx

Car: 323 BG Astina SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLineResident View Post
Nissan was a car family I admired and liked... made some really appealing cars 15-20 years ago... but now they don't make one affordable car that even remotely appeals...
They've gone from the likes of the 180sx, 200sx, 300zx, skyline, SSS pulsar, GTi's to cr@p.

370Z is about the only car that's half respectable... and then there's the GTR... The rest is just pure rubbish... I think what most manufacturers are neglecting is the way a car "FEELS"...
Sure they can all make cars that get you from a - b, and some don't make them too bad either... but the majority of cars lack the soul I look for.

Just my 2 cents...
When buying a car you buy it with your head and your heart.
Ever since Renault came into the picture, Nissans have lost its appeal to me also.
I am still excited to have Nissan to join the V8 Supercars would be quite interesting.
Styx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #29
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
And its been unveiled today that the Nissan Altima will be the new V8 Supercar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSa1Hj7fCZc

Seeing that the kelly brothers will be racing this quite a few months before actually going on sale here in Aus, I see that as a good marketing hype up to push cars out of the showroom
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #30
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Wow, I didn't know the Altima was the second highest selling car in the USA. Maybe the V8s will get more coverage over there now, the yanks LOVE our V8 Supercars.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #31
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Wonder what v8 theyll be using?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #32
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
I'm pretty sure the motor will be the same thing that's in the regular supercars. Custom 5.0L V8 made to supercar spec.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #33
project.r.racing

Correct. It is the whole point for CotF. 1 chassis, 1 suspension, 1 motor. 5000 different panels.

Marketing as it's best. Cannot wait to see a Kia Optima or Hyundai i45 running around the track with a big V8 Clevo under the hood. The only thing that will be Korean will be the decals on the outside of the bodywork. But they'll be selling car because of it.

---

If you are keen to understand it a bit more, watch this:-

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/techni...7/default.aspx

These cars are a massive step up from the current cars. Lighter and the fuel tank is in the middle anf the gearbox is in the rear of the car. It will out handle the current cars. Lap records will tumble with these new cars.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 06-04-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #34
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
The video in the link suggests that they have a unique engine and aero package to each manufacturer?
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #35
project.r.racing

there is a ford, holden and 5 other unspecified engines they can pick from.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #36
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
So I wont be watching this anytime soon then
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #37
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
One new manufacturer enters, another leaves. A little birdy tells me that Ford wont have a factory-backed team next year.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #38
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice88 View Post
So I wont be watching this anytime soon then
SOo what? You don't watch it now.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #39
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
One new manufacturer enters, another leaves. A little birdy tells me that Ford wont have a factory-backed team next year.
Very strong bird noises. I understand they are going just sponsor anyone who wants to put a Ford body on board. Similar to Nascar type stuff.

the COF concept will proberly work for A certain amount of time. But Lets be ohnest. when I grew up we had other makers. but alot of older Generation use to think we were silly liking nissan but respected it. Then it became a total backward lot - who Now IMO Ironicly are not in high Numbers.

Cof - look more like FIA GT-1. You have to got back to GT-3 class type to get close to a real car.
The Gap between A street car and race car has come leaps and bounds and the safety again.
It's the safety I think that will limit most production racing for ever.

To see close to real cars race - TARGA and the odd production car race which is dominated by 4WD turbo cars ?
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #40
project.r.racing

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/glancevie...percars.glance

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/n...ey-to-the-grid